IGNORED

Betting???

SirMilton
Note: This thread is 1964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do you handle betting with your known and unknown playing partners?

I will play up to $5 a hole even with just about anyone and usually double at the turn if I don't suspect I am being hustled and may double again at the last hole.

When familiar players know each others games really well, we will give or get up to a stroke on from 3 to 9 holes (in hardest rank per the scorecard). In general, no matter how poorly one plays they won't get more than 9 strokes from anyone.

Frequently the bet is $1 a hole straight up for everyone.

I dislike playing with people who will bet on virtually every shot. Longest drive, closest to the pin, fewest putts, etc.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

I never, ever, ever, bet on anything.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I've played the coin game and golf poker. The coin game is this:

http://www.golfcoinsplus.com/

Golf Poker is simply assigning a certain amount of cards to certain shots. For example:

5 Cards for an ace
3 Cards for an eagle
2 Cards for a birdie
1 Card for a par

A dollar value is then assigned to certain shots:

5 Bucks for a triple bogey or worse.
3 Bucks for a double bogey.
2 Bucks for a bogey.

Round is over, cards are distributed and money is place in the pot. Best hand takes the cash.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Great game!

I'm going to have to try that one out this summer. Thanks for letting us know about it...
Whats in my bag:
Driver: R7 Superquad 10.5 Stiff Stock
Wood: R7 3 wood Stiff Stock, r7 5 wood Stiff Stock
Irons: Command BK 3-PW Stiff TT Black Gold Shafts
Wedges: 52, 56, 60Putter: Dual Force Rossie II or White Hot XG #9 (Haven't had a chance to use both yet.)

I don't bet with unknown partners unless they're "known" through a friend, even if I haven't met them. People I randomly meet up with? No betting. Sorry man, if I came out there on my own, I came for the fun of it, not for financial gain or loss. I don't even carry my handicap card in such circumstances, so I couldn't prove my handicap.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't even carry my handicap card in such circumstances, so I couldn't prove my handicap.

thats pretty funny. i have never heard of someone asking to see a handicap card considering you can make a bogus handicap.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I love to bet, but it seems like I don't get to play for money that often. That poker and coins game sounds great... nice post. When I do bet it is usually $1.00 a hole or some such thing... but usually this doesn't end up being much money... I would rather play $5.00 a hole, but I need to find willing opponents.

Last year I bet my wife dinner (who would make it) on a 12 foot putt I had v. an 8 footer she had. I missed, she drained it... we ended up eating out because she was hungry and didn't want to wait for the hour drive home and me to cook.

for the record... I will bet on damn near anything and love doing so. I play a lot of poker, bet on sports, and also enjoy blackjack, roulete, and craps... even used to run the basketball bracket pool at work. I will bet an arbitrary things as well, like what time a friend who is usually late will show up, or how many red cars we pass in the next 10 minutes.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Occasionally I'll put up a bet of a dollar or something - "I'll give you a dollar if you make par from there...".
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• 10 years later...

Like pool, golf was made for betting!  We just usually play a simple 4-ball Nassau.  Usually $5 with automatic 2-down presses.  

Fun, keeps it interesting, but no one is going to get hurt, even if they lose “big”....

If we play as a fivesome, then  one team will usually play the same game against each of the other three teams. That can get interesting…

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Yep....golf is made for betting. Skins, Nassau, wolf, I'll play just about anything. I don't bet a lot of $ but you gotta have something to make it interesting and competitive. Usually the guy who wins ends up paying for all the beverages when we are done anyway so it's not like your really losing much.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2008 at 5:44 PM, golf_junkie27 said:

http://www.golfcoinsplus.com/

Golf Poker is simply assigning a certain amount of cards to certain shots. For example:

5 Cards for an ace
3 Cards for an eagle
2 Cards for a birdie
1 Card for a par

A dollar value is then assigned to certain shots:

5 Bucks for a triple bogey or worse.
3 Bucks for a double bogey.
2 Bucks for a bogey.

Round is over, cards are distributed and money is place in the pot. Best hand takes the cash.

Great post.

I wish I would have known about the poker game earlier. Not sure how often I can use it. But I really like the idea. 

BTW - My group has always liked playing Wolf. I think we've been playing that one since way back in the mid 90's. We used to play "Critters" a lot also. 

We actually had stuffed "Critters" on latch rings to use for the game. You'd hit one in the water come back to your bag to find one of your playing partners has already hung the stuffed fish on your bag. It was good fun. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Aside from the money I fork over for my association events, I don't bet much. With certain friends of mine, it is loser buys the beer. 

With my game, or lack there of, its pretty hard to lay real money on the line.

I've found one of the quickest ways to get better at golf is to have a little skin in the game so to speak.  So yeah, we bet.  Usually not much, a few bucks here and there.  Birdies are a buck, closest to the pin on par 3's is a buck unless you 3 putt, then it reverses.  Wolf, etc.

Our group of golf friends, when we play together, will bet a $1 a hole. Depending on how many of are at a golf outing. Those skins can total up to some serious coin. Maybe as much as $144 at times. 

With us, it matters little who wins, because all the money won goes to food, and beverages at the end of our rounds.

As for betting with strangers, although I have, I tend not to do so. Most of the time with strangers, it's a "loser buys" type of deal. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My group plays Robins (some call it 6-6-6) with automatic 2 down presses. Basically its like a nassau but you get a new partner and a new nassau every 6 holes. We also play greenies and skins at the same time. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

We play either of these two; $1 a hole straight up, pushes carry over to the next hole or $5 lowest front score, $5 lowest back score and $5 lowest total score. No handicaps, we are all pretty equal.  It’s not so much the money that we play for it’s the shit talking that you had to pay money. And we will let the rest of the group know just how good lunch tasted the next day cause it was free. 

Note: This thread is 1964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!