IGNORED

2021 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Birdied #4 and #12 at Sand Valley last week, as well as #9 at The Links Course at Lawsonia. The 4th hole is the only new addition to my away composite.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A nice one on our tough 18th today.  A nice 4 hybrid in to a soft green from 185 to about 10 feet.  The putt would’ve gone into a shot glass.  🙂

Just 4 to go, only one of which is particularly difficult.

Those last few are always tough to close out though…

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Secured a par at my home course's hole #17 today.  I am not happy with how long it took me to get better than bogey on it.  I hit a poor tee shot, a good recovery punch shot, then a sweeping hook 6-iron to the green.  I correctly read that the lie and setup would hook, aimed well left of the green, and swung.  Big hook, ended on the left side of the green, 15' from the pin, and I darn near made the birdie putt too.

Speaking of which, I gave a par at #s 7 and 9 a good run today too.  Still no birdies at my home course this year! 😞 

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Got 6 birdies over 2 rounds yesterday. One of them was "new": 

Hole 5, a 385 yard par 4 slightly dogleg left.

I usually go with driver over the corner on this one, but this time I had some breeze in the back and went with my 4 wood. I smashed it 275 yards down the fairway, and left myself with 105 yards left to the pin. A "3/4" AW from there went 12 feet past the pin an left me with a slightly downhill putt. The putt was dead center! 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Rules question, really thinking towards the 2022 challenge, as this won't come up in 2021. 

I plan to maintain my membership at the course I've considered to be my home course since 2008.  However, I now live nearly an hour drive from there, and will probably also join a club closer to me (TBD, and one of them has two courses).  Would it be okay (assuming we continue this in 2022, which I hope we do) if I have two "home courses" (or three, if I join the club with two courses), and use away composite for "not one of those"?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Was in a group a few years ago that played every Wednesday and we did this same thing with net birdies every year.  One year got to 16 of them, but couldn't get two of them that I didn't get strokes on.  At least with this one, I get to count more than just Wednesday rounds...

John

Nice birdie on the 17th today.  Started on the back 9.  About 500 yard tee shot over water and a fairway hazard around 250.  Got it that length but missed the hazard.  Then a 2 hybrid got me inside 50 yards of the green and a great PW put me inside 5 feet.  Drained the putt for a nice birdie :dance:

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
On 7/26/2021 at 3:34 PM, Shindig said:

Rules question, really thinking towards the 2022 challenge, as this won't come up in 2021. 

I plan to maintain my membership at the course I've considered to be my home course since 2008.  However, I now live nearly an hour drive from there, and will probably also join a club closer to me (TBD, and one of them has two courses).  Would it be okay (assuming we continue this in 2022, which I hope we do) if I have two "home courses" (or three, if I join the club with two courses), and use away composite for "not one of those"?  

Use your best judgment.

You can have multiple home courses. But if you only play them once a month or something that’s going to be tough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Use your best judgment.

You can have multiple home courses. But if you only play them once a month or something that’s going to be tough.

Thank you.  I'll play this out a bit in 2022 and count the rounds at each, too.  I think for 2022, my formerly-close home course will be the most common "not my close home course" I play, so it'd be different from the rest of the away composite.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Picked up a birdie on my away course, hole 5 a par 4 ay Campbell’s Scottish Highlands. Pulled my drive left but had a nice recovery 4H to about 105 yards. PW to 4 feet and made the birdie putt.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I had 9 GIR's today... that's right 9! 
I didn't make a single birdie. 🤮

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I had 9 GIR's today... that's right 9! 
I didn't make a single birdie. 🤮

Welcome to the club :-)  

I recognize that I'm an objectively bad putter, too, and while I'm trying to fix that, it really shows is the discrepancy of my GIR vs birdies made stat.

Then again, I think someone (I am going from memory here) had some data that among better amateurs (I am not in the category of "better amateurs" by any stretch), there was an inverse correlation between birdies made and score.  I would take comfort in that if I didn't have a 9 GIR / 0 birdies / scored 90 round in recent memory. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Been golfing so bad lately I almost did not check but this week was able to mark off #5 & #7 with Pars (Doing Par Challenge)

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Played my second round (ever) at the course that I think will be a home course for me next year (the complex has two 18s... I have played the other 18, but not in over a decade).  Birdied #13 to improve my away composite to five birdies and a total of -4 (I still have yet to par a hole nine in 2021 ... anywhere).  My two-round composite at that course is a 77.  By contrast, no birdies so far at my home course (well beyond two rounds played... and at least three scheduled in the next two weeks!), and three holes there I've yet to par.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Played 27 Holes today made 7 birdies today finally birdied the 1st, just the second and third left to birdie.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Played Quail Brook today, birdied 16 in dramatic fashion. New one for the away composite.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Finally got a birdie on the index 1 on my home course, its my first ever and it came because of a mishit 9 iron, it's a 440 yard par 4 with a narrow dogleg at about the 220 yard from the tee mark. I had a good drive and left myself 150 yards out but I fatted a 9 iron about 90 yards. I hit a 56 degree wedge perfectly from 60 yards and it took two hops and fell straight in for my first ever hole out from any further than a nGIR distance. Delighted with the shot in what was a poor round

• Like 1

Took inventory of how I have done this year.  I started the year with the course I called my "home" course last year and as I am playing the "par challenge" version of this, I have parred 13 holes with 5 to go.  One, #7 on this course, I came within 4" of an eagle 2 back in April.  It remains the sole birdie on that course.  As I joined another course this year at a ridiculous low price, it has become my new "home" course.  I have parred 15 of the holes with two of those going green with birdies.   I just did a composite walk through of all the rounds I've played thus far this year at the different courses and I have parred all 18 holes, birdied three of the 18.  This has been a growth year and am looking forward to taking some of those pars off the scorecard and making them birdies or better. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Note: This thread is 852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!