IGNORED

2021 Masters

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/1/2021 at 3:43 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

The most important part of the Masters Tournament has just been decided.  I'm there for the lobster & corn fritters, miso-marinated sea bass and the peach cobbler.

masters menu.jpg

I gotta say that sounds pretty damned good.

Filet Mignon is one of my all time favs. ... As i have said on many many occasions; "You put dead cow in front of me and I know what to do." 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Billy Z said:

How would you like to have dinner "Served in Your Honor"?

Through a tube for all my competitors...

Anyone else think the naming of holes is ridiculously pretentious? Oh well, I guess it suits the venue.

Colin P.

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Anyone else think the naming of holes is ridiculously pretentious? Oh well, I guess it suits the venue.

Yes. Many other things about the venue too, like “patrons”. But I still love watching it. 

• Like 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

50 minutes ago, colin007 said:

A couple of courses I play do that. I really don’t pay attention to them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

A couple of courses I play do that. I really don’t pay attention to them.

My home course has names for every hole, but I think “Canyon Disaster” is less pretentious than “Nandina”.

294CD859-74E7-4D7E-B0F1-96DEF3471E18.thumb.jpeg.a79f4eb783ef265ed98ab9423d6622b1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

-Peter

• Administrator
10 hours ago, colin007 said:

No. Lots of courses do this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Yes. Many other things about the venue too, like “patrons”. But I still love watching it. 

To a point, I agree, especially terms like "patrons' viewing area" rather than "grandstand", or the banning of words like "mud" in favour of "earth".

I despise the suckholing and sycophancy of the commentators more than whatever the organisers lay down as verbal law for the week.

You only really ever hear commentators referring to the holes by their floral names, so that's a non issue. We all think about 12, 13, 15 and 16, not whatever the alternative titles are.

BUT....... regarding the "patrons", the most important thing to remember is that it's all about making the best possible experience for people who go to watch the tournament. And that's no bad thing.

"The Making of The Masters" is well worth reading.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

17 minutes ago, Shorty said:

BUT....... regarding the "patrons", the most important thing to remember is that it's all about making the best possible experience for people who go to watch the tournament. And that's no bad thing.

Yes, and I imagine being a “patron” in the “viewing area” is probably one of the best fan experiences possible in golf. No cell phones, no dumbasses yelling ba ba booey mashed potatoes, or get in the hole, I’ve heard there are good and reasonably priced concessions, and the club sets a high bar for behavior and etiquette among those lucky enough to get passes.

-Peter

I don’t care about all the pomp that goes on at tournaments, I want to know if club throwing professionals will throw a club at Augusta? Seen two do it at the Palero this morning, did you see it?

I have been to a Super Bowl, game 7's of the Stanley Cup, National championships in college football and World Series games and the only sporting event I have ever been to that exceeded my expectations is the Masters. Augusta National is absolutely perfect. It almost doesn't look real.  Unfortunately,  it might be the toughest ticket in sports. Hell, the practice rounds were better than any other sporting event I have been to. To me it's the best week of the year!

• Like 2

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

When I searched for Drive Chip & Putt, this is the first thread that came up. Do top juniors look to compete in this, or would it be seen as beneath them? I look at the 15& up bracket contenders and they don’t strike me as top collegiate recruits. Anyone have insight into this program?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

When I searched for Drive Chip & Putt, this is the first thread that came up. Do top juniors look to compete in this, or would it be seen as beneath them? I look at the 15& up bracket contenders and they don’t strike me as top collegiate recruits. Anyone have insight into this program?

Yes, many do. It's only a few days in a year and you get a chance to go to Augusta National.

Not all, of course, but many of the "all" are international people. DCP is mostly U.S.-based (with some parts of Canada coming in to compete, though maybe not so much last year).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Carl3 said:

Any junior who thinks that ANY competition is "beneath" them has no future. A visit to Augusta would be the dream of most young golfers.

And....... there are many hundreds of highly talented 15 and up golfers. I don't think that competing in DC&P is going to be seen as a black mark against their names.😉

It's all about inclusivity and "growing the game", and, like the ANWA it's a wonderful thing that can only do good for the game.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

On 4/3/2021 at 8:50 AM, colin007 said:

I think it's awesome.  It also helped me once, albeit not to a great extent.  When I was in school, I went to a job fair looking to get interviews for summer internships.  One company had "Firethorn" on their pens and such and was looking for people in my field, so I stopped to talk to them.  At one point, I asked them how things were in Georgia and if they are enjoying their trip out to California.  The representative was impressed that I had done my research and knew anything about their company (I got the interview;  I don't remember if I got the job, but I didn't end up working there).   I didn't tell them that I was taking a guess because of a certain par-5.

Anyway, I like the naming of the holes.  I am tempted to give names to the holes at my home course, but I don't know if anyone else would adopt them.  I have only decided the name of one such hole, though, and that's the 18th, which is Palmer-to-Patricia (this is a nickname;  the full name is quite longer).   I do use other terminology, like "first nine" and "second nine" when I can -- I like the way they sound. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Any junior who thinks that ANY competition is "beneath" them has no future.

Not remotely true.

Note: This thread is 1112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!