IGNORED

Can We Stop Talking About Millennials Entering the Work World?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

I’m curious as in how this differs from Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Thermo-Fluids. We all use the same equations. Maybe just looking for Chem Es or ME Thermo-Fluids would result in more recruiting hits.

A workmate of mine has a son who is going to my alma mater, WPI. He’s majoring in Aeronautical Engineering. Another workmate of mine is a Chem E like me. We got into a discussion about the curriculum. He seemed to think that the AE had different math, courses, etc. We kind of giggled and said, “they don’t have a different Bernoulli’s equation.” It’s all the same math, physics etc. Chem Es just take a couple more chemistry courses.

You are of course right.

It just kind of shows where the interest lies. Back when 20% of the US population were farmers. The farm kids naturally gravitated toward fluid power. It made sense, they'd worked on farm equipment their whole lives. They found it interesting. Now that 2% of the US population are farmers. ... There are just fewer kids that are interested in fluid power. Hell, I was an electrical engineering graduate and ended up in fluid power, so of course it can be done. It is just an indicator of interest level. 

The US has a shortage of engineers in general, and a HUGE shortage of female engineers, and a HUGE HUGE GINORMOUS shortage of female fluid power engineers. 

If you have a daughter who's thinking about going to college but doesn't know what she wants to study, suggest that she studies engineering. If she ends up liking it she'll have a job for as long as she wants one. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a retired boomer with an undergraduate engineering degree.  We had two girls graduate in my class and no foreigners.  My daughter is in engineering school.  Almost all of her classmates are foreigners.  In my later years in corporate executive roles, I found Millennials to be lazy with unrealistic expectations.  Gen Z is the shit.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

The US has a shortage of engineers in general, and a HUGE shortage of female engineers, and a HUGE HUGE GINORMOUS shortage of female fluid power engineers. 

Yea, the issue is that a lot of the older engineers are retiring at the same time. Right now where I work, the oldest engineer in our department is in their mid 40's. I would say over half of them or even more are under 35. I think the most senior has just around 10-15 years experience. 

Its a bit of a struggle right now because we lost a lot of knowledge. Especially when you consider that a lot of the stuff that is out in the field can be over 30-40 years old.

I think it is going to get better with more female and minorities going into engineering. When I was at Ohio State, 10% of engineers were female. I just looked at the demographics recently, that number has gone up significantly. I would expect to see more coming out soon in the next 5-10 years. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 2/12/2021 at 1:06 AM, Aguirre said:

Lol. Wait a minute. You think your generation is being singled out and denied appropriate pay and promotion? By most definitions millennials are 21-40. Like, you're managers and the boss now. The idea that you're being glass ceilinged? Are you f***ed in the head?

david rose what GIF by Schitt's Creek

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

When I was at Ohio State, 10% of engineers were female. I just looked at the demographics recently, that number has gone up significantly. I would expect to see more coming out soon in the next 5-10 years. 

Way back in the stone age when I went to college it was 3% female. 

By the way, we have tons of experienced folks retiring or about to retire right now too. 

11 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Not bad for a guy from the Chicago Public School system.  😁

Ha ha... Thanks, brother. You put a smile on my face this morning. 

22 hours ago, The Flush said:

How much do fluid power engineers make, both entry level and experienced?

I want to answer your question, but it really depends on a lot of factors. I hate giving out numbers because it sets certain expectations. I'm sure if you ask somebody else in my industry from Texas, from the West Coast, from the South East and somebody from North Dakota you'll get vary different answers. 

I'll give you this:

logo-1200x630.png?v=721f9cswl

12 Fluid Power Engineer Salaries provided anonymously by employees. What salary does a Fluid Power Engineer earn in your area?

PM me if you'd like me to give you more detail. If you know somebody thinking of getting into the industry I'm happy to help. I just don't feel it's my place to simply publish numbers. 

13 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

In my later years in corporate executive roles, I found Millennials to be lazy with unrealistic expectations.

It’s a common attitude that whatever generation a person belongs to is the best one, the generations before are out of touch and can’t keep up with modern times, and the generations after are lazy or naive.

The reality is that people tend to view their own generation as superior simply because their value systems align most closely with their own and they don’t identify or don’t understand the differences in what other generations value. What future generations value and the attitudes they have are a result of the actions of the generations that preceded them.

In a way, if Millennials are “lazy,” it’s the Boomers’ fault. The irony is that Millennials feel Boomers have unrealistic expectations; society and the economy has changed so much that what worked for the Boomers to succeed is no longer applicable.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

19 minutes ago, billchao said:

It’s a common attitude that whatever generation a person belongs to is the best one, the generations before are out of touch and can’t keep up with modern times, and the generations after are lazy or naive.

The reality is that people tend to view their own generation as superior simply because their value systems align most closely with their own and they don’t identify or don’t understand the differences in what other generations value. What future generations value and the attitudes they have are a result of the actions of the generations that preceded them.

In a way, if Millennials are “lazy,” it’s the Boomers’ fault. The irony is that Millennials feel Boomers have unrealistic expectations; society and the economy has changed so much that what worked for the Boomers to succeed is no longer applicable.

+1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Way back in the stone age when I went to college it was 3% female. 

By the way, we have tons of experienced folks retiring or about to retire right now too. 

Ha ha... Thanks, brother. You put a smile on my face this morning. 

I want to answer your question, but it really depends on a lot of factors. I hate giving out numbers because it sets certain expectations. I'm sure if you ask somebody else in my industry from Texas, from the West Coast, from the South East and somebody from North Dakota you'll get vary different answers. 

I'll give you this:

logo-1200x630.png?v=721f9cswl

12 Fluid Power Engineer Salaries provided anonymously by employees. What salary does a Fluid Power Engineer earn in your area?

PM me if you'd like me to give you more detail. If you know somebody thinking of getting into the industry I'm happy to help. I just don't feel it's my place to simply publish numbers. 

I'm just curious.  I am a ChemE by degree although I haven't worked as an engineer in a long time. I am in environmental and safety compliance now. I am just wondering how fluid power engineers compare to ChemE. I know I earn less than I could as a true engineer, but reasons got in the way. I know that my current employer wants to pay entry level pay for an experienced engineer and then wonders why they can't attract anyone.  Generally when you can't fill jobs it it because you don't pay enough.

War Eagle!

3 minutes ago, The Flush said:

I'm just curious.  I am a ChemE by degree although I haven't worked as an engineer in a long time. I am in environmental and safety compliance now. I am just wondering how fluid power engineers compare to ChemE. I know I earn less than I could as a true engineer, but reasons got in the way. I know that my current employer wants to pay entry level pay for an experienced engineer and then wonders why they can't attract anyone.  Generally when you can't fill jobs it it because you don't pay enough.

Hmmm... I've never been a ChemE. I got my degree in Electrical Engineering (can't spell geek without double E!). Anyway, fluid power engineers spend most of their time working on 3 major things. First, they attempt to turn power from a prime mover (Electric motor or diesel engine usually) into hydraulic power (traction drive or work function usually) in the most efficient way possible based on the application. So, they spend a lot of time trying to understand duty cycles and torque curves and muscle charts. Then they blend all of that together to try to produce the most work for the least amount of fuel. Second, they try to either remove noise or remove heat from any hydraulic system. Which is kind of the same thing as the first thing they do, because noise and heat are just losses. So, by trying to remove those you are in theory actually making the system more efficient. The third thing they seem to work on a lot is how to reduce the cost of any of the previous 2 things. ... which in a way is also kind of the same thing. 

You work a lot with prime movers, pumps, motors, valves, cylinders, and the control systems and human interfaces that make them all go. 

PS - As I read through what I just wrote it certainly sounds pretty simple. 

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

I was quite fortunate. The college I went to in Colorado was 55% female.

Clearly, not an engineering school.

Fortunately, the university I attended also offered a college of nursing and a college of teaching.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Last year of Gen X here. All I know is that our music was the best.

Do your years include Steely Dan?  If not, then I don't want to hear another word about it.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Clearly, not an engineering school.

Fortunately, the university I attended also offered a college of nursing and a college of teaching.

University of Northern Colorado was a school of modeling, cosmetology and home economics. Just kidding. It was predominantly a teacher's school.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

University of Northern Colorado was a school of modeling, cosmetology and home economics. 

At this point in your post you were my hero.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Just kidding. It was predominantly a teacher's school.

At this point in your post a small tear formed in the corner of my eye.

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

Do your years include Steely Dan?  If not, then I don't want to hear another word about it.

Born at the tail end of 1979! But I'm a death metal guy so that's the important thing.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!