IGNORED

8 Iron Distance vs. Driver Distance

JuliWooli
Note: This thread is 1179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit my 8 iron about 110 metres and my driver about 210. My dad hits his 8 about 140 but only 220 with his driver. Apart from the obvious differences (hitting down on irons etc) the swing mechanics, with both of us, seem to be the same. Which one of us would be closer to the norm?

<envy on> Maybe in my next life I'll have a handicap like yours or your Dad's. <envy off>

I guess I don't understand your question. Is there a "norm" for distance that one should be hitting their 8 iron or Driver? Are those carry distances? If I change your distances to English (😉) your Dad is hitting his driver about 240 yards. I, as an old geezer with a pacemaker pushing 70 years old, can get 240 yards easily with my driver when I'm hitting downwind, downhill on a clay fairway. But then, no one's ever accused me of being normal.

• iacas changed the title to 8 Iron Distance vs. Driver Distance
  • Administrator

My driver goes about 85% farther than my 8I.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Dang! You had to bring math into it. Now I'm gonna be up late running the calcs to see if my driver does, too! 

Edited by Zippo
Fixed broken text

7 hours ago, iacas said:

So my driver/8i is around the 85%, my dad on the same basis should be able to hit his driver over 250m. Does that mean he compresses better than he sweeps?

7 hours ago, Zippo said:

<envy on> Maybe in my next life I'll have a handicap like yours or your Dad's. <envy off>

Ha! ha!

Its like wealth, having it doesn't make you happy but screw that high handicap stuff, that would drive me to drink and drugs. :~(

Yes these distances are carry on our parkland courses. We do have the advantage of rarely getting strong winds, 0-10 mph is normal.

5 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

but screw that high handicap stuff, that would drive me to drink and drugs.

So you've found me out! I hope you aren't going to turn me in to the authorities. It's my own darn liver, after all!

I recently replaced my irons, and the new 8-iron goes about 10 yards further than the previous one (150 now).  Based on the new distance, my driver carries around 60% further than my 8-iron, total distance maybe 65 to 70% further.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 2/22/2021 at 10:43 AM, JuliWooli said:

I hit my 8 iron about 110 metres and my driver about 210. My dad hits his 8 about 140 but only 220 with his driver. Apart from the obvious differences (hitting down on irons etc) the swing mechanics, with both of us, seem to be the same. Which one of us would be closer to the norm?

I hit my driver and 8i almost identical to you dad...

Spoiler

In yards not metres. 😳

I think this is a trick question though. Sometimes I hit my 8i further than my driver. 😒

- Shane

Mine is a 75% increase 8 iron to Driver. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My driver carries about 80% further than my current 8-iron. But I just picked up my new irons, which are about 3/4ths of a club stronger lofted, so this will go down a bit.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

I think this is a trick question though. Sometimes I hit my 8i further than my driver. 😒

Reveal hidden contents

In yards not metres. 😳

I can throw my 8i further than my driver when I am annoyed.

• Like 1

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

When it comes to club throwing, @mcanadiens is a ringer.

Seriously, I know some golfers who do it and I am ashamed to say I did it once. I have never felt so embarrassed, Luckily it was only witnessed by my dad. He couldn't believe it but said nothing. The look on his face was enough.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

So my driver/8i is around the 85%, my dad on the same basis should be able to hit his driver over 250m. Does that mean he compresses better than he sweeps?

Sounds like he could use some lessons. And a fitting.

🙂

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!