IGNORED

TIL: What a Condor Is

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seriously, I did not know what a Condor was until now, holing out a par 5. The more you know...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to TIL: What a Condor Is
45 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Seriously, I did not know what a Condor was until now, holing out a par 5. The more you know...

Didn’t know there was a name for that. Strange, considering how often I see them happen 🙃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Good grief.  Who decided that?

Maybe it’s a regional thing?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I was hoping Bryson would get one or come close at Bay Hill. That would be cool!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

With all the long drive guys around now, I would think those guys probably have the best chance.

Thompson-Par-3-Aronimink-Slide-Hero.png

When it comes to a hole-in-one, an albatross or, even a condor, most golfers know they're all extra special - and extra hard to achieve.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It could also be a 2 on a par-6. There are a few of those.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Up here in Michigan, when the fairways are frozen, I have had some pretty long drives. If the right individual gets a hold of a drive, you never know, it could roll a long way and into the hole.

See the source image

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

13 hours ago, billchao said:

Didn’t know there was a name for that. Strange, considering how often I see them happen 🙃

Didn't Kim Jong-Il have a bunch of those at the Pyongyang golf course back in '94? 🤣

Didn't know the condor.  Otherwise I call them albatross (3 under), eagle (2 under) and birdie (1 under). Never thought about a hole in one on a par 5 or 2 on a par 6. Plus, wouldn't it be called a hole in one irrespective of the par of the hole

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

Good grief.  Who decided that?

Maybe it’s a regional thing?

The condor is the biggest bird (that flies): up to 10 feet of wingspan!  The names look to have been chosen in increasing size of birds, starting with the little birdie.

I guess for a hole in one on a par 6, we'd have to dig up the name of one of these flying dinosaurs? Or maybe call it an ostrich?  LOL.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

19 hours ago, nevets88 said:

With all the long drive guys around now, I would think those guys probably have the best chance.

I've heard of a few LD guys driving par 5's, especially when doing an exhibition for charity events at forward tees.
And I somewhat recall stories of a few holing out.
Don't hold me to these stories as they were many Beers ago...  :whistle:

A club in my area had a double dogleg par 5.
Guys could cut the dogleg by taking it over the corner of trees and have 150 to the green.
About 10 years ago a storm toppled a bunch of the trees which guarded players from doing this with ease. 
Without the trees, long hitters could reach the green with a massive drive.
I played in an event there and sure enough someone holed the hole which brought many chuckles from members.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Every time I play in a stroke play tournament, I hole out on every hole, par-5 or otherwise, but I've never called it a condor.

Oh, you mean in one shot.  Yeah, that'd be pretty cool if it happened (I've never even had an eagle and the only time I've been on a par-5 in two, the next time I played the course the tees were up and the scorecard called it a long par-4).  But I'm getting closer to at least getting on in two, as I'm more often having half-swings into these greens, which is cool. 

I like telling a story at my home course, and you can picture some of the layout from this story.  The fourth hole is the first par-5.  I love telling people, especially A flight folks, about the time my tee shot ended up on the green on #4.  Of course, I was teeing off on #1, so this is less impressive (a 210 yard shot with a big enough fade will do this). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!