IGNORED

Game Golf Past and Present (June 2021)

iacas

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Game Golf Android app has been updated to fix the Live device Bluetooth issues. Though this isn't a feature I use or need, I figured I'd share in case there were others waiting patiently for the fix. They also updated this article to reflect the update with some troubleshooting steps: 

e85f0ca3b1a651d38bc169a44c8d150f.png

Here's how to pair your Live device. Please ensure you're on app version 7.3.2.712

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/3/2021 at 12:09 PM, cutchemist42 said:

Something that I would like is allowing to reset club distances annually.

You can select a date range to view distances.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, iacas said:

I just spent almost an hour on the phone with David Kelly, the marketing and community director for GAME Golf.

We talked a lot about the history, the present, and the future of the company and its products. Some of what we’ve discussed I cannot share (some of it as much because it’s my personal information/business/plans as much as anything else), but I’ll share with you what I can.

A Brief History

John McGuire started GAME just after 2010 and as many here know we latched onto it pretty quickly here at TST. I liked tagging, and not using your phone, and we added support for it to your profile(s) here at TST and so on.

GAME Golf Classic was launched, Live added Bluetooth and thus smart phone support, and then Pro launched a few years ago. Pro didn’t go well. It wasn’t functionally ready.

During that time, GAME was bought out by private investors as part of GreenWaves Technologies.  Between a reduced revenue stream, COVID-19, and Pro not being quite functionally ready (more software than hardware related), 2020 was not a great year for GAME. We saw it here - the database would go down for a few days at a time once or twice a month, and this bled into early 2021 when we got reports that the Transfer app was done, etc.

The Present

We also started to notice a change recently. What changed? Well, Inpixon invested and got a majority stake in the company. You can read the press release for this here:

GAMEGOLF_Symbol_Wordmark_Horz_Logo_500px

Game Your Game Announces Relaunch of Game Golf with New...

(It’s just the general “announcements” page, without what used to be called a permalink, but it’s dated May 4 if/when it falls off the announcements page and you have to find it by date).

Inpixon has installed Mike Francis (former Vice President of Nike Golf) CEO and David Kelly, and brought on a new chief technical guy, as well as support folks to actually get back to us and communicate with people. I’m sure people here have noticed how much better support has been lately, as we’ve gotten replies (often quite promptly) from people.

In the last few weeks:

• Replies to support have been timely.
  • GAME Golf Transfer (for older desktop/laptop OSes) has started working again.
  • Transferring and processing on smart phones has begun working again.
  • Pro is working better. (More below.)

I’ve been happy to see GG working again, and it was - as we all saw, not a moment too soon for many of us who were ready to bail as it had been a tough three months or 15 months, depending on how specifically you define “tough”).

I can also say that Inpixon has provided enough resources that GAME Golf isn’t going anywhere for quite some time, and that the current level of robustness can be maintained through 2021 and beyond.

Pro Improvements

Over the past 12-18 months some of the improvements to GAME Golf Pro that customers have commented on include:

• Setup is much better and more seamless. (The medallion connects to GPS much quicker than before and pairing takes less time.)
  • Improved Shot Detection - More accurate after training the algorithms over a longer period of time and with a bigger dataset (machine learning)
  • Faster Support - More responsive.
  • Updated Pro User Manual.

The Takeaway

I got the impression throughout the call that GAME was back on its feet and headed in the right direction. I got the impression that they’ve learned from their past, and recent past, and are committed to making things good and right again.

As many here know I’ve looooooong supported the idea that if you’re serious about golf at all, you need to be tracking your stats. People’s perceptions of where they lose or gain fractions of a stroke are typically off base, and actually tracking your shots not only lets you know how your game fares overall (handicapping, average score, average 7I distance, etc.) but how it works on a micro level (is my lag putting good or bad? Do I miss my mid-irons short right 1/3 of the time, or 90% of the time?).

So, I’m glad GAME is “back” in that sense, and I trust that I wasn’t just fed a bunch of BS today. I understand right now if you do NOT have a GAME Golf or stats tracking app how you would be reluctant to buy a GAME Golf Pro right now, and that’s fine - wait a few months to see how this goes. But, in the meantime, download the GAME Golf app (it’s free) and begin tracking your stats there. Create an account. It’s free. And if you have GAME Golf hardware, get it back out again and begin using it. Write to support if you have problems or questions. Let them impress you again.

I’m going to close the “Dead” topic and add a link to this topic over there when I publish this. New discussion about GAME Golf can take place here for awhile, as well as any of the other topics we’ve had like the “Explores” topic. But, ideally, here.

I’m semi-excited about the future. I still have my reservations, and GAME knows everyone out there does too. “Fool me once” and all that… but I believe they’re excited, too, about the prospect of winning back the hearts and minds (and trust) of both existing and new customers.

Thanks for sharing this. I’ll have to drag my old device out and use it when I get to play. 

Good to see good news about Game Golf. I didn't want to switch platforms.

Classic is still dead, yes? I'll just keep using the app since I can tag shots on my watch. It's slightly more cumbersome than tagging on a belt unit, but I'm also down to 12 tags anyway and I don't want to buy Live for the tags if I'm just going to keep losing tags.

I also had my "lost" round recovered. It's dated wrong, but I don't care.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 minutes ago, billchao said:

Classic is still dead, yes? I'll just keep using the app since I can tag shots on my watch. It's slightly more cumbersome than tagging on a belt unit, but I'm also down to 12 tags anyway and I don't want to buy Live for the tags if I'm just going to keep losing tags.

I only have the first gen model as well. So, I’ll need to use the app instead of tagging each shot? I don’t think I’ve ever used the app on course before. I’ve only used it post-round. 

Do you just hit “play golf” and pick clubs when you’re standing next to your ball or something? 

6 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I only have the first gen model as well. So, I’ll need to use the app instead of tagging each shot? I don’t think I’ve ever used the app on course before. I’ve only used it post-round. 

I haven’t tried it yet, but the one round I played with Classic didn’t upload when I started playing this season. Others had the same experience and emailed support; they were told that Classic wasn’t being supported anymore. It was during their transitional phase, though, so I don’t know if they’ve changed that. The round has since been recovered.

I’m not going to try it because as I said, I don’t have a full set of tags anymore. If you do try it, please let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

33 minutes ago, billchao said:

I haven’t tried it yet, but the one round I played with Classic didn’t upload when I started playing this season. Others had the same experience and emailed support; they were told that Classic wasn’t being supported anymore. It was during their transitional phase, though, so I don’t know if they’ve changed that. The round has since been recovered.

I’m not going to try it because as I said, I don’t have a full set of tags anymore. If you do try it, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks man. I may play tomorrow so I’ll take it out and try tagging. I actually purchased a set of replacement tags from a fellow TST’er. He was super nice and only charged me the price of shipping because he went to arccos, I believe. 

I’ll let you know how it goes if I get to play. 

Edited by ncates00

• Administrator
6 hours ago, billchao said:

Good to see good news about Game Golf. I didn't want to switch platforms.

I also had my "lost" round recovered. It's dated wrong, but I don't care.

Classic works fine if your transfer app still works on a supported OS.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 5:53 PM, iacas said:

I took it off.

I prefer manual tagging too.

I really liked live.  Tagging didn't bother me at all.  Then I started having issues with things showing up on the wrong holes that had always been correct before.  Support was unable to help.  I "could" edit the problems out, but it just wasn't working right.  Things like a drive on a subsequent hole (not even near the previous green) getting put on the hole that I had already finished putting from.  I think Pro could work (I have some experience that I cannot comment on), and I may try again in the future.  I have ShotScope now, the biggest drawback is that it doesn't like to detect shots taken from nearly the same place, I think it figures you changed clubs, or you were taking practice swings.  So when I take more than one shot to get out of a bunker (gasp!) or have a chip roll back to my feet (oh no!) there is editing to do.  I don't place a lot of faith in the putting stats from any GPS system available, the accuracy isn't really good enough, especially when we are moving "quickly" on the green.  But full shot stats seem to be really quite good (with both of the systems I have used).

I hope Game Golf is really back, I might even try to scoop up another Live system (I already grabbed a second when my first went south after several years).

Is anyone able to change their bag?  When I go to that screen, I can't click anything.  I even tried on a better-spec'd computer (my super fancy work desktop) and nothing.  I'd like to change which tag my 5-iron is (because I lost that tag and put a replacement in a while ago, and have had to manually change every 5-iron shot when I review the round) and also add a wedge I'll be trying that isn't currently in the system.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Is anyone able to change their bag?  When I go to that screen, I can't click anything.  I even tried on a better-spec'd computer (my super fancy work desktop) and nothing.  I'd like to change which tag my 5-iron is (because I lost that tag and put a replacement in a while ago, and have had to manually change every 5-iron shot when I review the round) and also add a wedge I'll be trying that isn't currently in the system.

Haha - yes, it’s idiotic…I meant to post this before. You HAVE to do it on your phone app.

The desktop (web) app is literally just an image of the phone app buttons!

It is seriously one of the dumbest and funniest UI fails I’ve ever seen.

Edited by Hardspoon
  • Thumbs Up 1

- John

3 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Haha - yes, it’s idiotic…I meant to post this before. You HAVE to do it on your phone app.

The desktop (web) app is literally just an image of the phone app buttons!

It is seriously one of the dumbest and funniest UI fails I’ve ever seen.

That's incredibly stupid.  On the web I can't even click the buttons to go back within GG's menu, I have to reload.

But I was able to do it from my phone, so at least there's that.

Thanks! 😄 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Write to support.

They get back to you quickly now.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well support did quickly send me out a new cord but it appears it my classic unit that's crapped out with no connectivity.

It's weird because it is showing up in my computers device manager.

Got 5 years out of it which is much better than most electronics. I think I would buy again if it's still a belt unit.

Technically my tags would still work with my phone for tagging but I already know I will hate golfing with a phone in my pocket.

Until I decide what to do, it's still fairly easy to create your round online as long as its still fresh in your mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got an upload error using the transfer app yesterday. Looks like my round disappeared entirely. This was different from what was happening earlier this year when Game Golf wasn't working at all - I got an error message in the transfer app that the upload failed. Earlier this year, the upload process just froze and there was no notification either way. My round is not on the device anymore, nor is it unsigned on the website. I didn't get a screenshot of the error unfortunately.

Hoping this is just a one-off problem. But has anyone else had any similar issue recently?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

No issues here, but I don't use the Transfer app. It hasn't been supported for years.

Supposedly the "My Bag" functionality works again. I'm going to try that out shortly.

Yes, "My Golfbag" functionality works again.