IGNORED

Breaking in Golf Shoes That Rub on Heel

Note: This thread is 1039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got a pair of Adidas, it's a snug fit getting in, but there is room in the toe box, but the back rubs the bit above the back of the heel. I used tape the first time, but I forget, how do you break in shoes that do this to your feet again?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Got a pair of Adidas, it's a snug fit getting in, but there is room in the toe box, but the back rubs the bit above the back of the heel. I used tape the first time, but I forget, how do you break in shoes that do this to your feet again?

Wear them?

I don’t buy Adidas shoes anymore. I don’t like how they fit.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If you can find the part of the shoe that is rubbing, maybe you can stretch that area somehow? I knew someone who actually cut the backs of his shoes slightly because he would feel it rub his heel and it bothered him so much. (Not recommending 🙂 )

There are so many shoes out there, if I had a pair doing this, I would try to return them and pick something else. Little clothing things like scratchy tags or seams or whatever drive me nuts, and when it comes to shoes I am even more high-maintenance. Sometimes shoes feel great when you try them on and you only notice something after you wear them, when it's already too late to return them. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Don't want to be cynical but I've never bought shoes that didn't feel comfortable from the get-go.    If they aren't comfortable when I leave the store, I leave them in the store.

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

If they rub at first they don’t fit you.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Unless they are Crocs, if they rub at the heels they don’t fit? GlobalGolf? That’s where I got my adidas... I find Nike’s run small I have big feet so it’s hard to find golf shoes anyway.

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

image.gif.8251afd12ce98f8bac044ee91915fe9f.gif

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I disagree.

I always buy True shoes in the same size - they fit perfectly. For some reason, my OG Feel shoes rubbed a bit in my heel the first time I wore them…but were broken in enough by the second time that they were fine. 

Anyway, to answer the OP, I’ve never had a pair that took more than one or two wearings to break in, so I just throw a bandaid on my heel when it does happen and break them in the “natural” way. 

- John

I’m just gonna wear it in slowly. I don’t remember the last time I got golf shoes in an actual brick and mortar store. Will put an extra pair of shoes in the golf bag for when it gets bad. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Is it rubbing on your heel inside the shoe? Or is it rubbing on your Achilles at the top of the shoe?

Colin P.

Try wearing two pairs of socks; the inner pair quite thin.  Some of the friction will occur between the sock layers.  I used to do that when breaking in a new pair of hiking boots.

• Informative 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Is it rubbing on your heel inside the shoe? Or is it rubbing on your Achilles at the top of the shoe?

The latter. Achilles at top of shoe. There’s a lip that’s curved towards the heel. 

Steve

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

The latter. Achilles at top of shoe. There’s a lip that’s curved towards the heel. 

Yeah I have the same issue sometimes, so I wear the no show socks and I just have to make sure the sock is pulled up enough to cover that spot. When I wear long socks I never have that issue

• Informative 1

Colin P.

I just got a new pair of Adidas shoes and they're extremely comfortable. I've also worn True and Byte (no longer in business) and they too were great. However, Footjoys were killers for me but I know when I was soliciting opinions a few months ago many thought FJ's were the most comfortable they ever had. So I'm making the assumption that foot comfort is a very individual thing therefore as others have said if they're not comfortable in the store don't buy them.

I don't get how people think buying golf shoes online is a good idea. I suppose there is some sort of return policy but then what happens to shoes that get returned to online sellers? Do we really want to know? Yeah, I know if you're trying on shoes in the store someone else's stinky feet may have been in them before you but somehow the fact that the shoe is right there in your hand before you try it on makes it seem OK.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

5 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

I don't get how people think buying golf shoes online is a good idea. I suppose there is some sort of return policy but then what happens to shoes that get returned to online sellers? Do we really want to know? Yeah, I know if you're trying on shoes in the store someone else's stinky feet may have been in them before you but somehow the fact that the shoe is right there in your hand before you try it on makes it seem OK.

That’s just in your head. You’d be amazed how awful people can be in retail.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

I don't get how people think buying golf shoes online is a good idea.

This is the only pair I’ve had a problem with and I’ve been buying shoes online since I dunno, 2010? 

Zappos, the online shoe retailer has been around for awhile, it makes like 2 billion in revenue and wasn’t it bought by Amazon? I just can’t be bothered to go to an actual store. And that’s pre pandemic. 

Steve

6 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

I don't get how people think buying golf shoes online is a good idea. I suppose there is some sort of return policy but then what happens to shoes that get returned to online sellers? Do we really want to know? 

It's a FANTASTIC idea when you know your brand and your size. Find a brand and size and stick to it.

What happens to shoes that are returned generally is often this: They are destroyed.

But if you think you can return a pair of golf shoes because they are rubbing after wearing them on a course for 5 hours, think again.

c3cg1tzwiaik7fa-4copy.thumb.jpg.1d983361db232faecca20f79d541e73d.jpg

Edited by Shorty
  • Informative 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

27 minutes ago, Shorty said:

But if you think you can return a pair of golf shoes because they are rubbing after wearing them on a course for 5 hours, think again.

Yeah, I didn't even think of returning them, just wearing them in. No big deal to me. I mean it sucks that my heel hurt for a bit, but I know the downsides of buying stuff online and am willing to take the risk, in the end, I'm happy not having to go a store. I hate going shopping, for anything.

Steve

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Yeah, I didn't even think of returning them, just wearing them in. No big deal to me. I mean it sucks that my heel hurt for a bit, but I know the downsides of buying stuff online and am willing to take the risk, in the end, I'm happy not having to go a store. I hate going shopping, for anything.

Many shoes are a bit tight at the heel but it shouldn't last more than a round or two. I just had the exact same issue with a brand new pair of ecco shoes. 2 rounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 1039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!