IGNORED

Playing Alone (2021)

Jack50

Anyone been playing alone this year? My main two golf friends aren’t able to play at the moment (one also has been insisting on range only and not playing when I meet him) and my other golf friend has quit (we formed a four ball sometimes a few years back). I’ll play with my dad when he’s back in the country, but til then will be playing alone. 

Are courses happy for solo golfers post COVID happening and what about if you aren’t a member? I’ve only played solo as a club member, is a course going to get annoyed if I book multiple rounds solo when I’m not a member? (I mean booking, then playing, then making another booking - I wouldn’t book more than a round in advance personally).

any input useful

Jack

Edited by Jack50

Some courses let you book on-line as a single.  Many don't.  Nevertheless, they want your business.  Understand that as a single the course will generally pair you up with others.  Which is a good way to meet new golfing friends to replace your old ones.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Around my area online booking is usually 2-4 players.   If you call the course and ask for a tee time as a single most courses will accommodate you.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can’t think of the last time I went out as a single. The courses are busy enough that you’re guaranteed to get paired up with at least one other person.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Too bad you are on the east side of “The Pond” or I would find time to meet up with you.  Just book solo and hope to meet new friends.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

There are a few courses I play that I can book as a single. I do that often. I’ve played solo about 6 or 7 times this year. It’s usually early, before 7, and sometimes the threat of bad weather will do it. I’ve met a few really nice people this way. They are usually regulars and book at the same time each week. So I know that I can play with them if there’s an opening.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Some courses let you book on-line as a single.  Many don't.  Nevertheless, they want your business.  Understand that as a single the course will generally pair you up with others.  Which is a good way to meet new golfing friends to replace your old ones.

This is basically what happens where I'm at. I book as a single all the time. I rarely play as a single though. The course starter will pair me up with another single or put me in with a threesome, what ever. Like you say they want the business. They'd much rather fit in a single then send out a threesome. I kind of like getting paired up. It allows you to count the round toward your handicap. You get to meet new people. And my first hole in one came with a group in which I was paired up... so there's that. 

A few courses here will actually sell the 3rd and 4th spot in a foursome for a slightly discounted rate. Their online algorithm gives you a slightly better deal if you say you are looking for a tee-time for one. The algorithm scans the tee-sheet for 2's and 3's and gives you a small discount to fill out the group. 

So, I'm sure in the last five years or so I've been paired up with a group far more often then I've brought my own group. As far as I can remember I've only had one experience where the group I got paired up with was kind of "jerky" to me. Apparently I ruined their dream round which was supposed to be a threesome not a foursome with me in it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The course I belong to is mostly empty in the afternoon. I just check the tee sheet online and show up. I love playing alone, walking when the weather permits. Play at my own pace, hit extra shots when I feel like it. May not be your choice, but it works for me.

I’ve played 59 rounds of golf so far this year. Probably half a dozen were rounds where I was playing solo the entire round. Most of the time, either I’m paired up on the first tee or I start as a single and join up after a few holes.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I used to play solo a lot before Covid, but almost never since. 

A number of our area courses have closed in recent years and the virus shut four of them. All those displaced golfers have insured the rest of the area courses are stacked and packed most days. 

Even with my membership, my new home course allows no solo bookings. The couple of times I went out there trying to get on, I was turned away. 

29 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The couple of times I went out there trying to get on, I was turned away. 

Were you turned away because there simply were no openings? Or were they preserving twosomes and threesomes and not adding to them per policy?

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Were you turned away because there simply were no openings? Or were they preserving twosomes and threesomes and not adding to them per policy?

No openings. 

It's been nuts up there. Sometimes I just want to use the range in the evening and have to park in an adjacent field because the lot is full.

Hopefully when the weather cools down a bit, it will thin out the herd.

Very few courses turn you down if you book as a single.  They will only let you play on your own if the course is free.  Otherwise, they will make you join another group or individual/s which can mean not teeing off at the time you booked.  If the slower pace of playing in a group and potentially teeing off later isn't an issue, go ahead.  Otherwise ask if the course will consider letting you play alone.  Generally they would be OK for you to play alone if you are the first person out in the morning since you don't hold up anybody or worse push through anybody.  Also, they are generally OK if it is at the end of the day provided you don't want to pass existing players/groups since they will get upset as it might mean them not completing all the holes due to time and light constraints.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I have played four rounds this year as a single, although I was paired up with others for them.  But I didn't bring my own group.

I used to go out as a single all the time before finding friends in the area who played regularly.  Two years ago, I moved -- not very far away, but far enough away that the courses I used to play with those friends aren't as convenient as they used to be.  I still drive up because I'd rather play with my friends when I can.  But there's a course a 15 minute drive from me that's fun, good practice, and a good bargain ($29 on M-Th).  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Things are a bit different over here. Majority are NOT "members" of any club. And at least around here lately, it's tougher to just show up as a single and get slotted in. Mostly because they don't want people hanging around waiting due to some Covid thingamajiggy . They prefer everyone to book ahead online. Even singles. Earlier in the Spring it was nearly impossible to get out as a single. People were booking 4 spots 7 days in advance through the course website and then just not show up if it was too hot, too cold, too windy, too wet, etc... So the tee sheet was full but maybe only 75% of people would show up- and since they used the course site, there were no charges for not cancelling. If they used GolfNow, they would be charged to full price even if they didn't show. 

At least once or twice I pulled into a parking lot and could SEE that there were lots of 2's and 3's waiting, so I would call the pro shop. Nope- Online only and there are no slots available. "But I can SEE the openings from the parking lot!". Sorry, sheet is full and they might show up. "THERE'S A TWOSOME ON THE TEE!!". Sorry...

For me, I can't always plan out 7 days out to play, so trying to troll various courses looking for an open single slot the day before is annoying. Recently one or two of the courses I frequent have semi relaxed the walkup policy. They're finally aware that people are working the system and there will always be openings. They'd rather have someone fill in that spot and actually pay instead of missing out of the $$$. 

Now- you refer to playing "Solo". Do you mean actually playing 18 by yourself, or just arriving alone and getting paired up? Again, around here, there is very little chance of playing 18 by yourself, too many people out on the courses. A course generally won't let you go out alone if there are openings to make up full 3's or 4's. And don't expect to have the groups part like the Red Sea just because you insist on playing alone on a full day. No matter how fast you're playing(or expect to play). If there isn't an open hole, then you wait your turn like everyone else. 

I usually end up playing as a solo this time of year. But that's since I go out after work and play 9- holes in the late afternoon/evening. Hard to find other players on a Wednesday late afternoon. I don't mind it so much after a long day at school. Kinda of works as a decompress.  

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Starting late might be an idea reading the posts. I was talking about actually playing alone, not getting paired. Then can just relax and play at own speed etc