IGNORED

Spectator Civility

altos
Note: This thread is 965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I watched the BMW after watching the Scottish womens open (or any other euro tourney)  a week or so ago.  The fan interaction is a stark contrast.  Fans in Europe don't yell abusively at players or taunt them.   The most stupid scream: "in the hole", typically yelled after any shot by some clown who just wants to have his voice on TV.   It's getting more pathetic by the day and the PGA does nothing about it.  I guess the answer for me is to put the TV on mute or watch something else altogether.   Simple manners or respect has fallen to the wayside.  A sad reality.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• iacas changed the title to Spectator Civility
  • Administrator

That said… it's sports. Look at how European fans react when watching their "football." Or during a Ryder Cup.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it is ok as long as it’s not while in the swing. Just look at baseball or football, if you’re playing at the professional level then part of the game are the spectators. Fans and hatters. Booing and cheering. If they were cussing and swearing at the player making threats maybe I’d agree. But, after the shot yelling “in the hole” nah…just a part of professional sports IMO. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

That said… it's sports. Look at how European fans react when watching their "football." Or during a Ryder Cup.

Bingo! 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Sometimes I think the Waste Management Tournament has given fans the idea they can yell or chant at players anytime they want. Golf fans are younger and they seem to do what they want when they play or go to any sporting event including golf.  Drink a few cans of encouragement and anything goes!  

• Like 1

Lol I remember being at a soccer game in Colombia, watching in horror as grown men pissed into plastic bags to throw at players...

• Like 1

Colin P.

14 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Lol I remember being at a soccer game in Colombia, watching in horror as grown men pissed into plastic bags to throw at players...

They told us not to go any soccer games in Buenos Aires. Too dangerous.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I put them right up there with the clowns who honk their horns or yell out the window when they drive by a golfer getting ready to hit their shot.  Childish behavior? Attention seeking?  Whatever.  As long as they think they're special.  🙂 

9 minutes ago, Never3putt said:

I put them right up there with the clowns who honk their horns or yell out the window when they drive by a golfer getting ready to hit their shot.  Childish behavior? Attention seeking?  Whatever.  As long as they think they're special.  🙂 

Many years ago we were playing a hole along a road. Some toolbag blares his horn and yells "FORE" just as my buddy was swinging. He quickly reteed and sent a ball after the car, and he bounced it right off the roof. Ahole in the car never came back........

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Yeah, we do things differently down there lol

Colin P.

Yup....that's sports.  

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

23 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

Yup....that's sports.  

Sports is a reflection of the world. You'll see both the best in people and the worst.  

The ugly seems to get a disproportionate amount of attention. 

I find the "get in the hole!", "mashed potatoes", etc. shouting irritating and dumb, but I wouldn't say it lacks civility. And honestly, if the spectator paid to get into the event, and is not explicitly breaking any rule outlined in the ticket contract, then they are entitled to do it, as stupid as it is.

I think certain aspects of the Bryson/Brooks troll-fest is in poor taste and tiresome by now. But then again, these are professional athletes playing at the highest level for millions of dollars, so if Bryson is going to let fans get under his skin with "Brooksie", he needs to find a way to block it out, or feed off of it.

Obviously, not cool if it's when the player is in their swing, but other than that, I think fans will be fans.

All that said, I would not mind at all if PGA and USGA (and R&A too, but I don't know their policies) took a stance similar to ANGC on some of this stuff, if only because it makes the TV experience better. Also, unlike other sports, in golf the fans are much closer to the players, and maybe some heckling might cross a line and lead to some sort of altercation between player and fan, which would be bad all around.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

22 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Golf fans are younger and they seem to do what they want when they play or go to any sporting event including golf.  

Younger than who? I'm not trolling. Just asking. 

22 hours ago, colin007 said:

I can remember watching Monday Night football back when Wide Neck Bottles were still sold at Football Games. I remember Pat Summerall saying something like "Oh the fans are upset. They are throwing half filled bottles of beer on the field.... There's no call for that." And then a pause and a few moments later John Madden goes "I don't think that's beer?" 

21 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I've been to a couple of European Soccer Football Stadiums and they all have a section of about 1/10 of the stands which have a huge wall (usually some form of protective glass) separating the section the visiting fans are allowed to sit in. 

20 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Also, unlike other sports, in golf the fans are much closer to the players, and maybe some heckling might cross a line and lead to some sort of altercation between player and fan, which would be bad all around.

I think this is a realistic fear. As golf fans you get great access to the action when you attend a golf tournament. It only takes one A-hole to ruin it for all of us. I would hate to have a 1993 Monica Seles incident. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Younger than who? I'm not trolling. Just asking.”

Understand.

When I look at the crowds I see guys who look like their anywhere between 25-40 in my estimation.  I’ve been to several PGA events and alcohol sales are through the roof. I actually think they should cut it off at some point during the day.  Anyway but from whatI witness younger guys who are with their buddies get to much of  “liquid encouragement” and when that happens all bets are off. 
Sometimes I think they like to be the guy who yells something and he is recording the event and plays his DVR back and says “that was me”!  

I agree the other poster in this thread was spot on when he said fans who yell “get in the hole” (usually on a Par 5 tee shot) and “Mashed Potatoes” is just plain idiotic.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I wonder if fans yell, "In the hole!" or some equivalent nonsense at pro bowling tournies...   😄

Only when the bowler looks confused when he picks up his ball.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Note: This thread is 965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!