IGNORED

SQAIRZ, Fact or Fiction?

How can a shoe make the claim that they can increase distance by increasing swing speed? Assuming all variables equal, how could having a squared toe increase swing speed? 

1-nick.jpg

SQAIRZ's Holiday Sale is here. $20 Off ALL Golf Shoes plus free SLIDEZ. Give the gift of distance...

DFE3F070-EC59-4CA2-8ACE-C23D9C654A81.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to SQAIRZ, Fact or Fiction?
  • Administrator

It could. If you swing in bare feet on wet grass, you'll swing slower.

That said, I don't think the shoes do anything other shoes don't. And the stat about "an 18 handicapper who is now an 11…" is laughably bad.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

That said, I don't think the shoes do anything other shoes don't. And the stat about "an 18 handicapper who is now an 11…" is laughably bad.

That was my point, all other variables equal, how could these shoes (vs the standard toe box shoes) make a that ridiculous claim? Sorry if that wasn’t clear. 

what’s even more ridiculous is that someone will bite

If they had a shoe that had zero drop, and a thinner sole, I might try them out because they look to have a wider toe box. Only because I like to find golf shoes that meet certain criteria, and only True hit ever one of them for me. 

10 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

How can a shoe make the claim that they can increase distance by increasing swing speed? Assuming all variables equal, how could having a squared toe increase swing speed? 

1-nick.jpg

SQAIRZ's Holiday Sale is here. $20 Off ALL Golf Shoes plus free SLIDEZ. Give the gift of distance...

DFE3F070-EC59-4CA2-8ACE-C23D9C654A81.png

Usually, when a company has an ad that makes a dubious claim, competitors can sue to make them stop if it has no data backing the claim up. I think that this company is so small that the other shoe companies aren’t even bothering.

The data behind this claim probably has holes in it. Example: The test subjects hit 10 driver shots to start their session wearing their own shoes. Then the hit 10 wearing SQAIRZ. Their speed increased! But, it may have been because they were warmed up more. They did not do a properly designed test which needs to be randomized and have enough data for an analysis. Other OEM would point this out in court. The court could then decide whether to make them stop using the claim or repeat the study.

• Informative 1

Paging @jsgolfer. What say you? Fact or fiction?

On 12/6/2021 at 9:06 PM, woodzie264 said:

What’s even more ridiculous is that someone will bite

I venture to guess they won't make a killing, but it's not a bad shoe. I do think the ad perpetuates the myth that speed is generated by twisting against the ground for some.

Edited by GolfLug

11 hours ago, iacas said:

the stat about "an 18 handicapper who is now an 11…" is laughably bad.

What they don't tell you is that the 18 handicapper wore bowling shoes. 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Other OEM would point this out in court. The court could then decide whether to make them stop using the claim or repeat the study.

Firstly, it has to be worth the other OEM's money to even take them to court. In my experience companies only other sue other companies after they do a cost/benefit analysis. Once in a while, however, some company will sue another simply because they truly believe they are taking the moral high ground. But even moral high ground has a price. 

On a separate but related note: This kind of thing is more and more rare these days. I can remember back in the late 90's, and early 00's when it seemed like every week another do-dad would come out that promised you 5-7 or 9-15 more yards. Back then every commercial for a golf product would take 3-7 stokes off your score. It's just not as common these days. 

• Funny 1

On 12/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, iacas said:

The 18 handicapper probably started hitting “The Hammer”!

• Funny 1