IGNORED

SQAIRZ, Fact or Fiction?

Note: This thread is 740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How can a shoe make the claim that they can increase distance by increasing swing speed? Assuming all variables equal, how could having a squared toe increase swing speed? 

1-nick.jpg

SQAIRZ's Holiday Sale is here. $20 Off ALL Golf Shoes plus free SLIDEZ. Give the gift of distance...

DFE3F070-EC59-4CA2-8ACE-C23D9C654A81.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to SQAIRZ, Fact or Fiction?
  • Administrator

It could. If you swing in bare feet on wet grass, you'll swing slower.

That said, I don't think the shoes do anything other shoes don't. And the stat about "an 18 handicapper who is now an 11…" is laughably bad.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

That said, I don't think the shoes do anything other shoes don't. And the stat about "an 18 handicapper who is now an 11…" is laughably bad.

That was my point, all other variables equal, how could these shoes (vs the standard toe box shoes) make a that ridiculous claim? Sorry if that wasn’t clear. 

what’s even more ridiculous is that someone will bite

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

If they had a shoe that had zero drop, and a thinner sole, I might try them out because they look to have a wider toe box. Only because I like to find golf shoes that meet certain criteria, and only True hit ever one of them for me. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

How can a shoe make the claim that they can increase distance by increasing swing speed? Assuming all variables equal, how could having a squared toe increase swing speed? 

1-nick.jpg

SQAIRZ's Holiday Sale is here. $20 Off ALL Golf Shoes plus free SLIDEZ. Give the gift of distance...

DFE3F070-EC59-4CA2-8ACE-C23D9C654A81.png

Usually, when a company has an ad that makes a dubious claim, competitors can sue to make them stop if it has no data backing the claim up. I think that this company is so small that the other shoe companies aren’t even bothering.

The data behind this claim probably has holes in it. Example: The test subjects hit 10 driver shots to start their session wearing their own shoes. Then the hit 10 wearing SQAIRZ. Their speed increased! But, it may have been because they were warmed up more. They did not do a properly designed test which needs to be randomized and have enough data for an analysis. Other OEM would point this out in court. The court could then decide whether to make them stop using the claim or repeat the study.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Paging @jsgolfer. What say you? Fact or fiction?

On 12/6/2021 at 9:06 PM, woodzie264 said:

What’s even more ridiculous is that someone will bite

I venture to guess they won't make a killing, but it's not a bad shoe. I do think the ad perpetuates the myth that speed is generated by twisting against the ground for some.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

the stat about "an 18 handicapper who is now an 11…" is laughably bad.

What they don't tell you is that the 18 handicapper wore bowling shoes. 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Other OEM would point this out in court. The court could then decide whether to make them stop using the claim or repeat the study.

Firstly, it has to be worth the other OEM's money to even take them to court. In my experience companies only other sue other companies after they do a cost/benefit analysis. Once in a while, however, some company will sue another simply because they truly believe they are taking the moral high ground. But even moral high ground has a price. 

On a separate but related note: This kind of thing is more and more rare these days. I can remember back in the late 90's, and early 00's when it seemed like every week another do-dad would come out that promised you 5-7 or 9-15 more yards. Back then every commercial for a golf product would take 3-7 stokes off your score. It's just not as common these days. 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

13 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Paging @jsgolfer. What say you? Fact or fiction?

Fiction of course.  But they are really comfortable! 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 12/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, iacas said:

The 18 handicapper probably started hitting “The Hammer”!

• Funny 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone that used Sqairz also used FootJoy Premieres? I am interested in how they compare from a comfort standpoint. I prefer the traditional look of the FJs, but do not object to the look of the Sqairz.

Perhaps the design of the toe helps one to kick the ball with greater confidence and accuracy.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• 2 weeks later...

There is an old adage that the swing starts from the ground up. There is a lot more talk and emphasis on generating swing speed using ground forces.

In regard to distance claims, Sqairz is not the only golf shoe in the market to make distance claims (Athalonz and Paynter come immediately to mind). but I have seen no data from the others to back that up. It may be there; I just haven't seen it. Sqairz has the data and has shared it. Go to the "Performance" tab on their website for the testing they have done and in-depth analysis of how footwear can help in golf. From my experience, I believe it begins with traction. If I'm not mistaken, they have patented the sole design and, believe me, the traction is outstanding! I can take the wildest swings or go up and down the steepest slopes in wet and sloppy conditions and I have not slipped once with these.

How much distance increase one sees may be determined but how much help you need in your golf swing. Someone with a terrible sway, for example, will probably benefit from the stability that these shoes provide just due to the wider base the shoe is built on. A better golfer might only see very moderate increases in distance, and probably not particularly discernible on a swing-by-swing comparison, but over time.........  For example, I use data tracking tools, Game Golf previously, and now Shot Scope. Based on the data collected, since starting to wear Sqairz, the average of all my drives has increased by 7 yards! I attribute it to more consistent ball striking due to a more stable base that these shoes are giving me. Oh, and I'll be 75 in a few months. 

I was originally a reviewer/tester for these shoes on another forum and I now own four (4) pair of Sqairz and have gotten rid of all my previous pairs by FJ, Adidas and New Balance. After trying out that first pair, I won't wear any other golf shoe. You can like or dislike the look of the square toe, but that wider toe box makes the shoes extremely comfortable. Another observation, the first thing I noticed when I pulled that first pair out of the box was that they are, in fact, heavier than most golf shoes, as many have noted. I, personally, attribute that to them being extremely "sturdy". Based on the little wear I have seen on the shoes thus far, I fully expect my Sqairz to outlast other shoes 2 or 3 to 1. Oh, another thing I noticed with each pair as they have come out of the box, there isn't a loose or puckered thread anywhere to be found. The workmanship is outstanding! Finally, I did mention sloppy conditions. These shoes are extremely waterproof. No damp socks whatsoever.

My experience with Sqairz shoes has been exceptional! Are they for everyone? No. But I say don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

45 minutes ago, TexasSR75070 said:

There is an old adage that the swing starts from the ground up. There is a lot more talk and emphasis on generating swing speed using ground forces.

In regard to distance claims, Sqairz is not the only golf shoe in the market to make distance claims (Athalonz and Paynter come immediately to mind). but I have seen no data from the others to back that up. It may be there; I just haven't seen it. Sqairz has the data and has shared it. Go to the "Performance" tab on their website for the testing they have done and in-depth analysis of how footwear can help in golf. From my experience, I believe it begins with traction. If I'm not mistaken, they have patented the sole design and, believe me, the traction is outstanding! I can take the wildest swings or go up and down the steepest slopes in wet and sloppy conditions and I have not slipped once with these.

How much distance increase one sees may be determined but how much help you need in your golf swing. Someone with a terrible sway, for example, will probably benefit from the stability that these shoes provide just due to the wider base the shoe is built on. A better golfer might only see very moderate increases in distance, and probably not particularly discernible on a swing-by-swing comparison, but over time.........  For example, I use data tracking tools, Game Golf previously, and now Shot Scope. Based on the data collected, since starting to wear Sqairz, the average of all my drives has increased by 7 yards! I attribute it to more consistent ball striking due to a more stable base that these shoes are giving me. Oh, and I'll be 75 in a few months. 

I was originally a reviewer/tester for these shoes on another forum and I now own four (4) pair of Sqairz and have gotten rid of all my previous pairs by FJ, Adidas and New Balance. After trying out that first pair, I won't wear any other golf shoe. You can like or dislike the look of the square toe, but that wider toe box makes the shoes extremely comfortable. Another observation, the first thing I noticed when I pulled that first pair out of the box was that they are, in fact, heavier than most golf shoes, as many have noted. I, personally, attribute that to them being extremely "sturdy". Based on the little wear I have seen on the shoes thus far, I fully expect my Sqairz to outlast other shoes 2 or 3 to 1. Oh, another thing I noticed with each pair as they have come out of the box, there isn't a loose or puckered thread anywhere to be found. The workmanship is outstanding! Finally, I did mention sloppy conditions. These shoes are extremely waterproof. No damp socks whatsoever.

My experience with Sqairz shoes has been exceptional! Are they for everyone? No. But I say don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

@TexasSR75070 Would the SR in your name possibly stand for "Sqairz Rep" by chance? 

• Funny 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

10 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

@TexasSR75070 Would the SR in your name possibly stand for "Sqairz Rep" by chance? 

Nope. I just think these happen to be the best golf shoes I've worn in all the years (60+) that I've played golf. As a "grumpy old man", it upsets me to see people knock a product without doing any research or trying the product themselves before doing so. 

22 minutes ago, TexasSR75070 said:

Nope. I just think these happen to be the best golf shoes I've worn in all the years (60+) that I've played golf. As a "grumpy old man", it upsets me to see people knock a product without doing any research or trying the product themselves before doing so. 

I don't think anyone really "knocked" Sqairz, but the going from an 18 handicap to 11 handicap by just changing shoes claim is just absolutely ridiculous. I know several people who really like their shoes, so I have no doubt they make a good product. That being said, I just know too much about golf to buy into the claims about all the extra distance, etc. A very smart person I know once said he could make statistics support just about anything. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I'm not a fan of their return policy. $12 return shipping fee and a $13 restocking fee seems high for such an expensive shoe that they claim is so good.

I think most product claims of "Improved Whatever" (Swing speed, less slice/hook, etc.)  are of only limited value.  Improved Technology can help a little, but a better swing can help a lot.  I've not tried the shoes but doubt they would take 7 strokes off my game.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

57 minutes ago, StuM said:

I think most product claims of "Improved Whatever" (Swing speed, less slice/hook, etc.)  are of only limited value.  Improved Technology can help a little, but a better swing can help a lot.  I've not tried the shoes but doubt they would take 7 strokes off my game.

From what I understand, the guy that improved so much had a really awful sway in his swing. The stability that the Sqairz shoes gave him due to the wider base improved his swing tremendously. He really did improve his handicap that much.

I'm sure he was at the extreme in regard to any improvement and if it were me, I probably would not promote his improvement as much as has been done. Like I posted earlier, I've seen an increase of 7 yards in my average drives since starting to wear Sqairz, that's all drives, indicating perhaps more consistent ball striking. My best drives have only seen an increase of maybe 3-5 yards. The better golfer you are already, the less improvement you are going to see from and technology. 

Note: This thread is 740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!