IGNORED

How Important Is Confidence in Playing Golf?

ChetlovesMer

Does Confidence Matter When Playing Golf?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. On A Scale Of 1 to 10, How Important Is Confidence In Hitting Any Give Golf Shot?

• 1 - Confidence won't keep an airplane in the air. All the confidence in the world doesn't mean a hill of beans once you swing. It simply doesn't matter in the least.
    • 2 - Confidence doesn't matter much. I've seen down-in-the-dumps people not give a crap and hit the best shots of their round.
    • 3 - Very little. The ball doesn't know how confident you are or are not. It just goes where its struck.
    • 4 - It probably matters a bit, but most golfers over-value confidence.
    • 5 - Confidence can't hurt, but it's more likely that hitting good shots makes you confident, not the other way around.
    • 6 - It will help a little.
    • 7 - It's pretty important. Definitely should be part of your training plan and pre-shot routines.
    • 8 - Confidence will allow you to make your best swing. Therefore its important.
    • 9 - You have to be confident or your game will go to Hell in a golf cart.
    • 10 - Confidence will very literally change the outcome of the swing you are about to make. If you are confident you WILL hit it better. That's a fact!

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Every once in awhile you'll bump into a guy who is totally "cocky", "confident" and wearing bright purple, while smoking a cigar.  Then he hits his shot....................................

I will stir the pot... Is this guy with the purple outfit wearing a white belt?😁 

I was at a municipal par 3 course, 9 hole variety. This guy gets out of his car dressed head to toe in Loudmouth gear. The greenskeeper sees him and starts laughing and tells him "this ain't Caddyshack".

Edited by Carl3
  • Funny 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Every once in awhile you'll bump into a guy who is totally "cocky", "confident" and wearing bright purple, while smoking a cigar.  Then he hits his shot....................................

I think there is a difference between "Confident" and "Cocky".  It may seem like a fine line but a "Cocky" person thinks they can do no wrong, that the are better that others, etc.  A Confident person knows what they are able to do and focuses on doing that, not showing off or trying to look good.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

36 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

I will stir the pot... Is this guy with the purple outfit wearing a white belt?😁 

There are those who can pull off the white belt. For example @billchao can make it work. 

But I truly believe that for most of us, the white belt needs to be reserved for those under 34. That means under 34 inches around the waist and under 34 years old. 

Once again, disregard this comment if you are in the navy, sell ice cream for living or happen to be a female pop star. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, phan52 said:

I think Shiffrin lost her confidence before she even got to Beijing. She had banked her skills beforehand and was the face of these Olympics in America. That is incalculable pressure and I think that scared the shit out of her and she didn't trust that all of her good work would pay off. Her skiing out in the slalom was pathetic, she is way too good for that to happen. There will be books written about what happened to her.

She has had the pressure for years and still has performed. From all accounts she was brimming with confidence getting to Beijing. And she was back on the saddle after getting it right on Super G. It didn't do her any good yesterday.   

2 hours ago, phan52 said:

But you have to have confidence to take it to the golf course. You have to trust what you are doing. If it working, you aren't even aware that it is confidence. Confidence is trust.

Let me ask you this - would you consider confidence a pillar of your game? I don't. To me it is window dressing, a mere by-product or a reflection of your state of game, not an independent requisite. I can't tell you how many times I have doubled the easiest hole on our course (120 yard par 3) with me slobbering over a juicy pitching wedge. Confidence doesn't do shit. It has even screwed me over. I see confident folks make lazy swings hitting thin all the time.   

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I do not believe confidence will make you a better golfer but lack of confident will make you a worse golfer.

Why would one lack confidence if they are playing to their ability?  

If I come upon a green that is only 30 yards wide that is 170 yards out (5 iron for me and a 25% chance at best because of my shot zone), I know no matter how confident I am, there a good chance (75%) I am going to miss the green. Thems just the facts. No amount of confidence changes the odds. 

If you expect to hit the green from buck seventy out that you know you don't have the game to hit with any reasonable certainty, then it's easy to blame the failure on lack of confidence as some kind of independent actor. 

Vishal S.

I chose 7. I'm confident that's the correct and only answer.

Seriously though, is confidence and commitment the same.  I see commitment as being almost a 10 in order to play to your capability.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

I went on 8.  Confidence creates a sense of freedom that allows good things to happen in the game.  It reinforces the body and related mechanics.  It moves you to see a little sharper whether on the fairway or the green.  It also allows you to know there are better holes ahead when the last 3 or 4 have really stunk!  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

If you expect to hit the green from buck seventy out that you know you don't have the game to hit with any reasonable certainty, then it's easy to blame the failure on lack of confidence as some kind of independent actor. 

I see your point. 

The reverse situation is true a lot of the time as well. How many folks have been slicing the ball all over the course. They line up left of the flag and actually hit one dead straight. Then say something like "I should have been more confident." 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I think confidence is good to keep you level in the round. It keeps you positive. It's not absolute certainty you will do what ever you want. That is how I look at it. There is something to the confidence of knowing you can do something because you did it 10000x in practice. 

There is confidence to keep your emotions and attitude level. Then there is just the confidence in something you have practiced. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I think confidence is good to keep you level in the round. It keeps you positive. It's not absolute certainty you will do what ever you want. That is how I look at it. 

Now this I agree with. It meanders into a broader theme of general outlook and expectations but that's a good way to look at it. 

Vishal S.

22 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Ah, so that begs the question. 

"Did you lose confidence in your driver because you are hitting duck hooks... Or do you duck hook because you lost confidence in your driver?"  hmmm....

The duck hook definitely came first.  My old miss was a slice.  When I hit that first duck hook, I thought how weird it was.  I had fixed my slice and was driving the ball pretty accurately with the occasional heavy fade.  Then, I did it again, then again, then again.  I'm mixing in accurate drives.  I have no idea what the difference is, and I have no idea what's going to happen every time.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

18 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

There are those who can pull off the white belt. For example @billchao can make it work. 

But I truly believe that for most of us, the white belt needs to be reserved for those under 34. That means under 34 inches around the waist and under 34 years old. 

Once again, disregard this comment if you are in the navy, sell ice cream for living or happen to be a female pop star. 

Yes, like being at the gym. If you are a man over 30, don't wear a tank top. No one wants to see it. There are rare exceptions to this.

When I am at Great Clips and they get to trimming up my neck sometimes they don't know where to stop. Once I told the cosmetologist not to worry about it and that the hair goes all the way down to my ankles.

• Funny 1

19 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Actually, to supplement my earlier balloon analogy, I'd like to think "confidence" can look like a graph.  Your game/shots can have extreme ups and downs, but when graphed, over time, with general improvement, I think the graph becomes upward (unlike the stock market right now).  So I believe you can garner confidence from knowing you can trust a bit more in shot X than you could two years ago... and execute it accordingly.

I think a lot of the people who dress like that subscribe to the "fake it till you make it" mentality. That outfit doesn't speak "confident" to me. Funnily enough, I think the confident guy is the one who looks a little slobbish. He doesn't need to look good because his golf game speaks for itself. 

Speaking as someone who fights with chip yips from time to time (far too much), confidence has a huge impact on my game. I have confidence in my long game for the most part and I don't think it plays much of a part *for me* with my long game. Stick me 20 yards away from the hole and some days I think I can barely make contact. Others I think I can stuff it. I'm generally right too.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

I think a lot of the people who dress like that subscribe to the "fake it till you make it" mentality. That outfit doesn't speak "confident" to me.

It creates confidence, though.

Even if you just make yourself smile, you'll be happier. Our bodies are sometimes really stupid. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

Yes, like being at the gym. If you are a man over 30, don't wear a tank top. No one wants to see it. There are rare exceptions to this.

When I am at Great Clips and they get to trimming up my neck sometimes they don't know where to stop. Once I told the cosmetologist not to worry about it and that the hair goes all the way down to my ankles.

I haven’t worn a tank top since I was running track back in 1981.😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

As with all mental game things, it's way down on the list.

The poll options are pretty badly worded. I mean, "Confidence will allow you to make your best swing. Therefore its important." Okay, sure, but Jon Rahm's worst swing is going to be 10x better than almost anyone here's best swing, so… 8/10 importance? Or still 1/10 when taken as part of the whole?

You know who's confident? A guy with a better swing. A guy who is playing better. And yet… you can be just as nervous or confident over a 150-yard approach shot in your game as a PGA Tour player who needs to make the cut to keep his PGA Tour card is… and the Tour pro is still going to, on the whole, put a much better swing on it than you will.

So again… since "confidence" is a sub-set of the whole "mental game" thing, even 1/10 is a stretch.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Why would one lack confidence if they are playing to their ability?  

That is not what I meant.  I am meaning if you approach your shots and have doubts in your mind then you may not play to your ability. 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• 2 weeks later...

So I am half way through listening to Rotella's NLU Podcast. his take on confidence seems to be.. if you are not feeling a driver, shrink down the club selection to something you can hit with confidence. If I were to follow the advise I would never hit anything over an 8 iron, ya know... to hit the fairway.  Or better yet, some days I would just stay home. 

I believe it's not confidence that is key.. I think it is courage. Like them Ukranians.   

Vishal S.