IGNORED

2022 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

Had 3 birdies yesterday, but only one that helps the challenge. 

• Thumbs Up 2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Started my own spreadsheet with my own goals. 3rd round in and iv accomplished 2 of those goals, a par on holes 1 and 2 of my home course. I'm a mid to high handicapper and hole 1 is my worst scoring hole. In the 88 rounds I've kept track I've parred it 14 times, so it's nice to accomplish it.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

On Saturday I made a couple of new birdies on my away course in a round that was a mixed bouquet to say the least. 88 shots with 3 tripples and 2 doubles: 

Hole 5: 350 yards par 4. It's not the longest par 4, but it's a tricky one that has has 3 bunkers in the fairway and narrows a lot after them and goes around 30 feet uphill the last 120 yards. It's never a driver for me on this one and this time it played into wind, so I went with a 4 iron off the tee. I cought it horrible and hit a thin slice about 175 yards to the left rough. I was now left with a 175 shot uphill, into wind shot with a bit of treetrouble left to the pin with a greenside bunker protecting the green short left. I grabbed my 5 iron and went for a high fade around the trees, and hit it to perfection! I landed softly on the green and left me with an 11 feet putt for birdie. It was drained! (numbers from course guide is in meters)

18-Hulls-Bane_5_left-632x329.png?resize=632%2C329    

Hole 15: 130 yards par 3. Probably the easiest hole on the course. It plays about 25 feet downhill and it played into wind this time. I hit a little knockdown 9 iron and it looked perfect in the air. We were all shouting at it to get in the hole, but it fell to rest 2 feet short. Tap in birdie! 

Edited by Troy Ocker
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Yesterday I made a birdie on one of the hardest holes on my homecourse, the dreaded hole 11.....and I didn't do it the standard way: 

Hole 11, 205 yards par 3, that plays about 50 yards downhill and needs carry all the way to the right side of the green and about 170 yards carry to the left side. Yesterday the pin was placed front left, which is the easiest pin on this green. I hit a terrible 7 iron, a fat slice that managed to find land in the left rough far short of the green and probably 25 yards off line. I was left with 57 yards to the pin. I hit a little pitch shot with my AW to perfection and knew that this would be close from the moment it left the clubhead. It landed on the fringe, took one little hop and trundled the last 15 feet with perfect speed to the heart of the hole. My playingpartner was busy with his drop in the DZ after going in the water, so he missed the shot except from the nice little click sound the ball made when it hit the pin and fell in and the nice little round of applause I got from some random bypassers 😆. A fantastic little moment!    

Open photo

This was the last hole I birdied on this course last year, so it's nice to get it out of the way. 

The rest of the round was soso...5 doubles is never good, but 86 is not a total disaster. 

I did play another round yesterday on a different local course (6050 yards/par 72 - 70,5/128) were I made a very nice birdie as well: 

Hole 8:  A short par 5 of just 480 yards, playing uphill the last 170 yards. It was slightly down wind yesterday and I smoked my drive (around 320 yards) to the left semirough between the bunkers on the left. Leaving me with around 165 yards uphill left to a back pin. I hit a great 9 iron from there that ended up 14 feet right of the hole. I overread the putt a tad and missed it a little on the high side, but the speed was good so it was an easy tap in birdie in the end. 

Open photo

This round was also a mixed bouquet with too many doubles (2) and a tripple and 85 shots. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Got one today. #6 is a 520 yards par 5, with a very uphill tee shot and a mild dogleg to the right after about 280-290.

I had a good drive, in the fairway but was hugging the right side a bit too much considering the upcoming dogleg and that I don't drive 290, far from it!  Then I hit a nice faded 5 wood around the corner back to the middle of the fairway, to about 80 yards from the flag, and then a half 50 degree wedge to 3 feet for a near tap-in. Love those easy to get birdies! 🙂  Why can't they happen a tad more often? 

• Like 2

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

7th hole. 9 of 18.

7DF41A3B-28C7-4692-B644-0ABCE6508E46.thumb.jpeg.027fa39c809af95312de262db4f4698b.jpeg

Also birdied 17, but that’s a repeat for this year.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Got a birdie that I hadn't previously today.  Playing a club Ryder Cup style tournament.  3 9 hole matches today.  3rd match was best ball.  Hit a decent drive leaving myself 168 to the pin.  6 iron dead at it, rolls out 15 or so feet past the pin and sunk the putt.  That putt put my partner and I 1 up with 1 to play.  He birdied the next hole and we got the point.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Got 3 new birdies on my home course last week (played from yellows 6300 yards and all distances on graphics are in meters): 

Hole 5 (370 yards dogleg left par 4) - I hit a not very good drive that came out like a low banana to the left, too much left. I cut the lenght of the hole, but I was left with 135 yards over some high pines from the rough. Got great contact with my AW from there, over the pines, to 15 feet. Great shot! The putt was drained. 

hull-5

Hole 9 (500 yards par 5) - It's a pretty straight hole, but it is 70 feet uphill from tee to green with water down the entire left side. The rough on the right side is pretty kind this time of years, and thats where I hit my drive. I was left with 250 yards and around 50 feet uphill from the right rough to the pin (back hole location on the top shelf of a Mckenzie green) and went for a 4W. Didn't catch it very well, but it move the ball around 210 up the hill to the fairway. My 60° from there was magic though, and lipped out 90° to about 1/2 inch. Easiest birdie of the year. 

hull-1

Hole 12 (340 yards par 4) - Blind 50 feet uphill teeshot. Hit an ok drive to the right rough just a yard from the fairway, and was left with around 105 yards to the pin. I hit a soft GW to the middle of the green from there and drained the 17 footer for birdie. 

hull-12

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Added two new birdies on #8 and #18 today.

#8 is a par-5, slightly uphill, dogleg left. Even though my shot shape is a draw, for some reason the visual on the tee box really throws me off and I tend to end up too far right leaving a long approach. But today I hit a good drive down the left center and the ball settled in one of the more level sections of the fairway. The ball was slightly above my feet, so I hit a choked up 4-iron to a front pin, and it settled on the green against the collar of the fringe leaving about 15 feet to the hole. The collar added a bit of difficulty to the putt, and I missed the eagle attempt, but left a tap-in for birdie.

#18 is a mid-length par-4, straight-ish, and a bit uphill. Tees were back today, and it was slightly into the wind, but I hit my best drive of the day and left about 90 yards from just off the fairway in the right rough. Approached with a 3/4 sand wedge that stopped about 6 feet from the hole in a spot without much break, so the putt wasn't hard to read, but certainly miss-able, but I made it.

Five more to go, and more than half the year left.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Finished final two holes of the 18 today. Maybe first birdie ever on #3 since they moved the green 50 yards back two years ago. Now the #1 handicap hole. 190 yard uphill 3 wood from the fairway. Very low slight draw, thought it was over the green. Lucky shot - stopped 6 feet from the hole.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I birdied 10 on my away course composite yesterday. I played with three guys who work at the course. I’ve played with them before. They brought out a bottle of Jim Beam Fire that they call ‘Birdie Juice’ and we all did a shot. 😜 That’s a first for me. 

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I birdied 2, 3, and 4 today at WW. Only played the front nine.

I already had birdies on those holes. 😛

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 5/17/2022 at 6:25 PM, reidsou said:

Finished final two holes of the 18 today. Maybe first birdie ever on #3 since they moved the green 50 yards back two years ago. Now the #1 handicap hole. 190 yard uphill 3 wood from the fairway. Very low slight draw, thought it was over the green. Lucky shot - stopped 6 feet from the hole.  

Guess you better start an Eagle challenge now!

• Like 2

Had 3 birdies today, got to count one towards the challenge. 

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

So we just started playing a new course for the summer months and I had 2 birdies for the away stats. I hit a wedge on #5 on a short par 4 and made the 6 footer while I chipped in on #14 from the fringe on a par 3. I got excited to enter on the spreadsheet and then see that I already had those from the 3 away rounds posted from different courses! LOL, 13 holes to fill in and this happened! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Been a very slow start to my season for a few different reasons.

Finally got a couple birds this weekend. Crummy round yesterday, but got one of them on the 18th.  Make it easier to forget about those other 17 holes.

Always seems like starting from scratch each year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Birdied the 7th hole yesterday evening. Repeat for me this year.

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Got me a little birdie on my homecourse yesterday: 

Hole 3: 365 yards par 4, straight and slightly uphill. Quite narrow tee shot with woods on both sides of the fairway and a green protected by bunkers short/left and right. Hit a solid drive to the left side of the fairway that left me with just 87 yards to the pin. Thinned my 60° a bit from there, so the first bounce took the ball to the rough behind the green. A little bump'n'run chip with my 9' from there found the bottom of the cup. Birdie! 

image.png.eddf39f347aabdffe5b7ef71e4c73983.png

Edited by Troy Ocker
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1