IGNORED

Headcover Use?

NM Golf

Headcover Use?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Anal are you about your headcovers during a round?

• I take them off, I hit the shot, and I put them back on...every time.
    • I take them off, I throw them in the back of the cart, and I put it back on at the end of the round.
    • Headcovers? I don't use no headcovers!

When riding  I usually take them off and put in the basket till the end of the round……..then at some time I am in a hurry after a round and leave them in the cart never to be seen again.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always put my head covers back after every shot when I walk. I never put them back when I ride.

Except for my putter - that cover gets put back on after I’m done using it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Doesn't that muffle the sound of your drives? 😄

As my Grandfather used to say "There are 10,000 comedians out of work and you're trying to be one of them." 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

😄

Ironically, Grandpa thought of himself as a bit of a comedian. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

15 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Ironically, Grandpa thought of himself as a bit of a comedian. 

Well, I'm still employed as a comedy writer. I write comedy routines for the CPS system 😁

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Doesn't that muffle the sound of your drives? 😄

Kinda depends where I connect the ball.  I have a hole in the covers at the sweet spot and try to get a non-muffled noise 🤣:banana:

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 1 month later...

Unless I am holding up the group behind me, which is almost never, I will put my headcover back on after using the club. It doesn't take up that much time.

It takes less than 5 seconds to put a head cover on

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

20 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

It takes less than 5 seconds to put a head cover on

If you also have iron covers (another sore subject), let's say that's 52 times in a round that you need to spend those 5 seconds, plus another 18 times after finishing putting, for a total of 70x5 = 350 seconds, nearly 11 minutes. Now, if your 3 other buddies do the same, it's a whopping 45 minutes total. :whistle::~(

Now, before you say this is crap and everything, yes I agree, to a point. As long as any of those actions are taking place in parallel to something that had to take place already, the time spent is effectively zero. Things like starting to walk and push your cart, while putting the head cover on at the same time (many folks don't do that: they slide the head cover on, then putt the club back in the bag and then they start walking). Or, putting a cover on while your buddy is still playing his shot, or walking back from the green, etc..

This is true of many little things, like putting one's glove on, getting a yardage with a rangefinder, putting a club back in the bag (instead of hoping in the cart, and doing it at the next stop when pulling out the next club), etc... All these things and many more only take 5 seconds or less, but they can take zero time effectively, if done while an overlapping (needed) activity also takes place.  Otherwise, it all adds up. So does keeping the cart (or push cart) on the wrong side of the green, writing down the score at the green, etc...

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

That is very unrealistic 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

1 hour ago, sjduffers said:

If you also have iron covers (another sore subject), let's say that's 52 times in a round that you need to spend those 5 seconds, plus another 18 times after finishing putting, for a total of 70x5 = 350 seconds, nearly 11 minutes. Now, if your 3 other buddies do the same, it's a whopping 45 minutes total.

You’re making the assumption that this is done in sequence with this math. We can all put our head covers on at the same time or while the other guy is hitting or as we are walking to our cart. It’s not like we sit down to put the cover or our drivers and stop everyone else from playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You’re making the assumption that this is done in sequence with this math. We can all put our head covers on at the same time or while the other guy is hitting or as we are walking to our cart. It’s not like we sit down to put the cover or our drivers and stop everyone else from playing.

Yes, I said that much. That's about the worst case possible, not that it actually happens in real life. But as you see, 45 minutes is a very large number. Even if it is only 10 minutes in reality, it is still noticeable. QED.

The case I describe of a walker putting his head cover back on and then the club back in the bag before he start walking away so I can hit behind him is very real, and more frequent than you might think.

Even with a cart, I see people doing this and it slows down the group behind (me!), waiting for the cart to clear out. It's not like the player is taking the club with him in the cart, and drive away to put the head cover back on later, as he could/should. That extra 5 second is impacting the group behind, a lot of the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 4/13/2022 at 1:52 PM, sjduffers said:

Yes, I said that much. That's about the worst case possible, not that it actually happens in real life. But as you see, 45 minutes is a very large number. Even if it is only 10 minutes in reality, it is still noticeable. QED.

The case I describe of a walker putting his head cover back on and then the club back in the bag before he start walking away so I can hit behind him is very real, and more frequent than you might think.

Even with a cart, I see people doing this and it slows down the group behind (me!), waiting for the cart to clear out. It's not like the player is taking the club with him in the cart, and drive away to put the head cover back on later, as he could/should. That extra 5 second is impacting the group behind, a lot of the time.

So why do my wife and I play faster than 95%+ of players on our courses when we both replace covers on woods and putters?

5 minutes ago, KMP said:

So why do my wife and I play faster than 95%+ of players on our courses when we both replace covers on woods and putters?

That's a loaded question.  😀  I think the fuss here is the use of headcovers for irons.  If you did that it would move you down a percentile or more.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That's a loaded question.  😀  I think the fuss here is the use of headcovers for irons.  If you did that it would move you down a percentile or more.

Ohhh...I would never use headcovers on irons. It is only an opinion but it is just wrong...haha

• Like 2