IGNORED

What's it Like to Spectate at a Major Tournament?

Dornenglanz
Note:Β This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I rarely "watch" golf, and on the rare occasions that I do, TV coverage is amazing - the views are perfect, the cameras follow the ball, etc.Β  However, there clearly must be some value in actually attending, because the events are always packed, and I guess the tickets aren't cheap.Β  So - what's it like to be a live spectator?Β  Is it "worth it"?Β  What do you gain and lose?Β  With the 150th open coming up this summer, I could generate some enthusiasm for an exploratory trip...

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Dornenglanz said:

I rarely "watch" golf, and on the rare occasions that I do, TV coverage is amazing - the views are perfect, the cameras follow the ball, etc.Β  However, there clearly must be some value in actually attending, because the events are always packed, and I guess the tickets aren't cheap.Β  So - what's it like to be a live spectator?Β  Is it "worth it"?Β  What do you gain and lose?Β  With the 150th open coming up this summer, I could generate some enthusiasm for an exploratory trip...

Walking the course, seeing it in real life is quite exciting for me. I also like hearing the players hit shots. Just sounds so damn solid. And of course standing three feet from Tiger Woods beats TV coverage for me. Obviously you lose the ability to see what’s going on all over the course. But what you do see is pretty exhilarating to me seeing it in person. I watched Justin Rose smoke a driver off the deck at the API in 2019 I believe. It just can’t be appreciated on TV in the same way.Β 
And of course depending on the tournament , it’s just nice to be outside at a beautiful place, have some drinks and stroll around.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It’s been awhile since I’ve gone to a tournament, but I liked to get there early, watch guys on the range, and walk the course with an early group. I would go home to watch the leaders on tv.Β 

Totally worth it, I went to Travelers and loved it. Chose a good viewpoint on a drivable par 4 and watched the different players come through. Could have reached out to tough most of the players. I think I scared Tom Hoge when I talked to him after his round (briefly). He never got any attention then and I think I startled him. (True!)

Β 

If you get a chance to go, take it!

• Like 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;Β  Β  Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

I've been going to the "Dutch Open" (part of the European tour) for the past years, and I really like the event..

I usually get invited by AMEX as a card-holder, so I can go to their closed off area and then stay there for a while getting some food and drinks (and watch from next to one of the greens).. then once I find a flight I'm more interested in, I just walk with them and watch them along the course.. It's always been a great experience, so I definitely recommend going to an event (as long as the weather permits)

• Like 1

cheers Chris

Thanks everyone - I will definitely see what I can do.Β  I work in the live entertainment industry, and we sometimes get tickets / options / deals, so I shall keep my eyes open.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

It is worth going just to see these guys play.Β 

I have been to The Honda Classic, the Senior PGA, Doral, and some random other tournaments including mini-tour stuff and I always walk away with a new sense of tempo and rhythm. Typically, I like going on a Friday when the play is spread out and access to see guys real close is easier. Following the Sunday leaders is tough, and while I have done it, its not as easy as it looks to get good looks when you have a monster crowd.Β 

I just watched a Senior event a few months ago right after Covid and there was no one even there. Now that was even better because you follow these guys around and hear them thinking out loud with their caddies. Anyway, you get a new appreciation when you see a pro hit a low flighted wedge, bomb a drive, or even make a putt when the greens are rolling 12.Β 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

On 3/12/2022 at 4:51 AM, Vinsk said:

...it’s just nice to be outside at a beautiful place, have some drinks and stroll around.

Now you're talkin'.

I've been to many tournaments but the most recent was the U.S. Open in 2015 at Chambers Bay.Β  I had played there a couple times just prior to the Open and committed to memory all the best watching spots.Β  Lots of tall sand dunes that were blocked off when the tournament began and my spots were all not allowed... they said because of liability issues.Β  Hell, I wasn't even wearing my high heels.Β  So it was disappointing... couldn't get close enough to the players to get a real sense of their swings.Β  Or even hear any banter.

On 3/12/2022 at 2:35 AM, Dornenglanz said:

With the 150th open coming up this summer, I could generate some enthusiasm for an exploratory trip...

You should absolutely go.Β  It's at St. Andrews.

23 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Now you're talkin'.

I've been to many tournaments but the most recent was the U.S. Open in 2015 at Chambers Bay.Β  I had played there a couple times just prior to the Open and committed to memory all the best watching spots.Β  Lots of tall sand dunes that were blocked off when the tournament began and my spots were all not allowed... they said because of liability issues.Β  Hell, I wasn't even wearing my high heels.Β  So it was disappointing... couldn't get close enough to the players to get a real sense of their swings.Β  Or even hear any banter.

You should absolutely go.Β  It's at St. Andrews.

Β  Growing up in Florida I used to go the Honda Classic every year , and often went to the API and Disney Classic when it was still around.Β  Β I could walk the whole course and watch every shot from fairly close.Β  The US Open at Chambers Bay was a viewing disappointment.Β  I walked around for an hour or so on Saturday and realized I would have a better view at home watching it on tv.Β  Couldn't even get within 100+ yards of some greens.Β  The course isn't bad to play, but from a viewing standpoint, i think that there is no way the USGA will send a US Open back there.Β  We'll probably continue to get some of the other USGA tournaments, though.

I have been to The Masters several times.Β  Just seeing the course is amazing and getting to walk it.Β  Never been there and Sunday and don't think I would want to.Β  To easy to miss some great action going on that you could only see on TV.

I have also been to 1 US Open, Houston Open a multitude of times, the LPGA when they played in Houston a couple of times, way back when The Pensacola Open.Β  All were a lot of fun and you get to see lots of action up close.Β  Fortunately the 1 US Open I did go to, I was standing about 10 feet directly behind Jerry Pate when he hit the shot on 18 that won him the tournament.Β Β 

If you get a chance to go any pro tournament...take it.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids:Β TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thruΒ LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball:Β TM Tour Preferred XΒ or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.comΒ Β A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I’ve been to a handful of PGA and LPGA events (including majors for both). Β Overall it’s an enjoyable experience, but I personally wouldn’t make too much of an effortΒ to go to one. Β The biggest downside for me is the crowds can be a little overbearing at times, but I feel that way for all large events (not just golf). Β The LPGA majors were less crowded, a bit easier to handle from a crowd perspective.

All that said, I would recommend going at least once. Β Especially if it’s a tournament you’re really into. Β I’ll echo the above, standing a few yards away from Tiger and watching him hit a ball (also insert many other players)… pretty cool experience.

I've been to Augusta twice and Kiawah once.Β  I enjoyed seeing the courses.Β  The greens, in particular, look much flatter on television than they actually are.Β  Standard operating procedure was to spend the morning on the grounds and the rest of the day eating, drinking, and watching T.V.Β Β 

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I'm getting old because the drive there. The parking. The bus. The lines. The overpriced food. It takes a lot for me to get to go to one of these anymore. The only one I'll make an effort for maybe is The Masters and the US Open. I prefer going to smaller events with way less logistics to deal with. Something like watching the US Open Qualifying where you just drive up and watch, no traffic, no hordes of people, get up real close to the players, don't have to peek through people is more appealing to me now. No having to walk circles to get to a point because holes are cordoned off.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 3/12/2022 at 5:35 AM, Dornenglanz said:

TV coverage is amazing - the views are perfect, the cameras follow the ball, etc.Β 

You must have a drastically different definition of "amazing" than I do.

• The commentary is typically horrible
  • Announcers straight up state things that are not true but could easily find the truth had they actually done some research
  • Typically like 15+ minutes of every hour is taken up with both commercials and useless fluff that provides no value to the telecast (interviews with random sponsor CEOs, etc)
  • The views are far from perfect, a lot of the views are from the same overhead camera angles in towers at the back of the greens that completely flatten out the courses
  • Player/caddie conversations are often missed because announcers are talking over them,
  • The coverage is so top heavy focused (DJ tied the course record yesterday and I believe the only shot of his round that was shown was his hole-out on 18 was shown)

I consider the TV product to be adequate at best, with plenty of room for improvement. Certainly nowhere near "amazing"

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

10 minutes ago, klineka said:

• The commentary is typically horrible
  • Announcers straight up state things that are not true but could easily find the truth had they actually done some research
  • Typically like 15+ minutes of every hour is taken up with both commercials and useless fluff that provides no value to the telecast (interviews with random sponsor CEOs, etc)
  • The views are far from perfect, a lot of the views are from the same overhead camera angles in towers at the back of the greens that completely flatten out the courses
  • Player/caddie conversations are often missed because announcers are talking over them,
  • The coverage is so top heavy focused (DJ tied the course record yesterday and I believe the only shot of his round that was shown was his hole-out on 18 was shown)

I consider the TV product to be adequate at best, with plenty of room for improvement. Certainly nowhere near "amazing"

I’m happy watching clips on social media. No ads. Gets to the point. Very small timestamp.Β 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Maybe.Β  Or maybe the top level caveat "I almost never watch golf" explains my ignorance.Β  Had I spent more time watching golf, perhaps I'd have reached the same conclusions as you!

I was at Emirates Golf Club at the first two Dubai Desert Classic events. We had very close access to players and it was a great experience for all the reasons everyone has pointed out. The usual routine was to hit the range for a bit. Follow a group out to a good viewing hole then watch several groups there then repeat. Was lucky to see Euro Tour stars like Faldo et al, Seve whining for relief, and Woosnam drinking with the members were bonuses.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I went to the 1984 PGA Championship at Shoal Creek with my dad. I don't remember much other than the course was beautiful and that Lee Trevino won.

I need to make it up to Muirfield Village for the Memorial one of these days since it is relatively close.

War Eagle!

Note:Β This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!