IGNORED

What is your favorite Augusta National hole?

Note: This thread is 2544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Augusta National hole?

• #1 Tea Olive, par 4, 455 yards
    • #2 Pink Dogwood, par 5, 575 yards
    • #3 Flowering Peach, par 4, 350 yards
    • #4 Flowering Crab Apple, par 3, 240 yards
    • #5 Magnolia, par 4 455, yards
    • #6 Juniper, par 3, 180 yards
    • #7 Pampas, par 4, 450 yards
    • #8 Yellow Jasmine, par 5, 570 yards
    • #9 Carolina Cherry, par 4, 460yards
    • #10 Camellia, par 4, 495 yards
    • #11 White Dogwood, par 4, 505 yards
    • #12 Golden Bell, par 3, 155 yards
    • #13 Azalea, par 5, 510 yards
    • #14 Chinese Fir, par 4, 440 yards
    • #15 Firethorn, par 5, 530 yards
    • #16 Redbud, par 3, 170 yards
    • #17 Nandina, par 4, 440yards
    • #18 Holly, par 4, 465 yards

• Administrator

Two. Strategy changes dramatically depending on where the pin is. Even if you get within a few yards of the green in two, leaving yourself in the wrong spot can lead to par still being a good score.

#13 and #15 are pretty straightforward and thus almost boring holes. They're more significant simply because they're on the back nine and because they're basically long par fours.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

... to a lesser extent, 11 are wrong choices.

Interesting.  I think that the view from the approach shot is one of the prettiest pictures out there.  And as somebody who likes to aim right and hit a draw, it looks inviting too. ;)

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

My favorite hole is 16, where you get to watch shots feed in tight towards the hole or be stuck with a very difficult putt if they're left slightly too high up. 

This was my second choice.  There's not much middle ground, is there?  It's either a really good chance at birdie, or a very difficult two putt.  Or, if they miss left but stay dry, then it's a very entertaining pitch or bunker shot up the hill past the hole.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

There's not much middle ground, is there?  It's either a really good chance at birdie, or a very difficult two putt. 

I mean, I guess if you hit it a bit long or a bit short it isn't a terribly difficult two-putt, but the putts are going to slide a good amount still so it's not exactly easy either. I just really enjoy watching that hole more than most of the others because of that slope to the green.

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Interesting.  I think that the view from the approach shot is one of the prettiest pictures out there.  And as somebody who likes to aim right and hit a draw, it looks inviting too. ;)

It's just a boring, difficult hole. The strategy on the hole for most players is to aim away from the green. If you are in the trees to the right, there's no chance to make par. Left is almost always a lay up. You can't attack any flag on the back half of the green because short and long are dead. 

It's not really the aesthetics or that it's hard. It's just that there's only one way to play it and make par. I think if they shortened it, filled in the pond, or end Tiger's grove on the right end 25-50 yards closer to the green, it would be a much more interesting hole.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I voted for 16. It's not a long hole by modern day standards but I like the strategy, skill and even luck involved in where you have to place the ball. Birdies are there for the taking if you can hit it in the right section but you can also easily make bogey or worse if you're a little off. Different pin positions really change how the hole has to be played. The Friday front right pin always give the players trouble while Sunday's pin allows for plenty of highlights.

From Arnie to Jack to Tiger, it's produced a lot of exciting results and always seems to be such an important hole for the guys coming down the stretch.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

17 hours ago, mvmac said:

I voted for 16. It's not a long hole by modern day standards but I like the strategy, skill and even luck involved in where you have to place the ball. Birdies are there for the taking if you can hit it in the right section but you can also easily make bogey or worse if you're a little off. Different pin positions really change how the hole has to be played. The Friday front right pin always give the players trouble while Sunday's pin allows for plenty of highlights.

From Arnie to Jack to Tiger, it's produced a lot of exciting results and always seems to be such an important hole for the guys coming down the stretch.

Well...after that clip I'll have to agree with Mike! Still remember watching that with my whole family ....and so true...always an important time during the tournament when it's tight on the leaderboard.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 for me. Between the chip in Tiger had and Spieth's struggles it's amazing how the shortest hole on the course can have such a significant impact on determining the winner. It's also gorgeous(well on TV at least?).

4 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

Between the chip in Tiger had

That was 16 ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I voted for 12, as it's probably the only hole I could play from the back tees and make a similar score as the pros do (good and bad).

Chris.:roll:

I voted for 15.  It seems like there is so much drama on that hole.  

My second choice would be 12, because it is such a tough little par 3.   It's only what, 160 yards?    And yet it gives the best players in the world fits. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love 11.  It can change so much based on whether the pin is on the right, or tucked back behind the pond (creek).  

Also, if you have a great drive down the right side (not an easy feat), it forces you to have an argument with the course.  

The Course is like: "chill out, dude.  look at all this friendly bailout area to the right.  mishit a little, no big deal.  just aim to the right side of the green, 2-putt and get out of here.  you don't want to mess this up right now.  look, there's 12 right there.  Spieth is over there throwing an 8 on the board as we speak. make your par and get out of here"

Golfer is like: "don't tell me my business. I'm not afraid.  I'm going over the creek."

Ball is like:  *kerplunk*

Course is like:  "Told ya" 

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

23 minutes ago, lastings said:

I love 11.  It can change so much based on whether the pin is on the right, or tucked back behind the pond (creek).  

Also, if you have a great drive down the right side (not an easy feat), it forces you to have an argument with the course.  

The Course is like: "chill out, dude.  look at all this friendly bailout area to the right.  mishit a little, no big deal.  just aim to the right side of the green, 2-putt and get out of here.  you don't want to mess this up right now.  look, there's 12 right there.  Spieth is over there throwing an 8 on the board as we speak. make your par and get out of here"

Golfer is like: "don't tell me my business. I'm not afraid.  I'm going over the creek."

Ball is like:  *kerplunk*

Course is like:  "Told ya" 

I love the 13th hole.  Such a great risk reward hole.  

11 is probably my least favorite.  It's too long now, everyone bails out to the right because they are hitting such a long shot into that green.  If they shorten it up, it would allow the players to try and go for the pin.  But so few actually hit the green, it's far too boring for me.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have much to add, since I'm with the majority. #13 seems to me to be the most perfectly constructed risk/reward Par 5 in Championship golf that is also coupled with every variable, and aesthetic value.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 2544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!