IGNORED

2023 Ryder Cup

jmanbooyaa

4 hours ago, Yossarian said:

From the point of view of a European living in US, I must say that the coverage was better than usual. Typically it gets the "NBC Olympics" treatment, which it means only US athletes exists in the world. The one in France for instance, on Sunday they were constantly jumping from a good shot by a US player, to a good shot by another US player, you would wonder how is it possible they lost...

This is a horrible take. To start the entire Ryder Cup Friday morning they missed the opening groups tee shots on the second hole!! There was only 2 matches on the course so only 4 total balls in play and they couldn't even show us the second tee shots!

I'll just leave this here:

image.png

Plus all of these

https://x.com/shneeblytaco/status/1708124415610007942?s=20

https://x.com/Rick54969779/status/1708124231282675887?s=20

https://x.com/TronCarterNLU/status/1708118495290867729?s=20

So no, it wasn't better than usual, it was dreadful. Worse than usual actually.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They also miss the 1st tee shots a few times. Very odd they can’t do at the very least a split screen like they do with the play throughs and every car commercial. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

5 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I am so thankful to the bookmakers who always underestimate Europe, home advantage, etc.  😄

Won at 2.15 (US win odds were 1.6 before Friday)

Hey me too.

The Ryder Cup may well be an ATM machine. I just bet on the home team every year and 70-80% of the time it makes money for me. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

39 minutes ago, klineka said:

https://x.com/shneeblytaco/status/1708124415610007942?s=20

hahaha, this one one is great

My better than usual was referred to what I wrote after, the fact that at least they did not show a disproportionate amount of US player shots.

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hey me too.

The Ryder Cup may well be an ATM machine. I just bet on the home team every year and 70-80% of the time it makes money for me. 

I always bet on Europe. Even when playing on US soil the odds are so inviting that are worth the risk. At medinah it payed off big time. But I have to say that the home advantage has become such a strong factor that I am not sure I will bet on Europe at the next one

19 hours ago, iacas said:

That's kinda the whole thing, though.

That's what makes the World Cup the biggest sporting event ever.

Us vs. Them sells.

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

at least they did not show a disproportionate amount of US player shots.

They just showed a disproportionate amount of commercials….😐

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I always bet on Europe. Even when playing on US soil the odds are so inviting that are worth the risk. At medinah it payed off big time. But I have to say that the home advantage has become such a strong factor that I am not sure I will bet on Europe at the next one

Funny thing. Medinah was one of the very few I didn't bet on. I was going to bet the home team, but I was too late. So, I kind of lucked out on that one. 

Next Ryder Cup I'll bet the home team again. It's like free money. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

They also miss the 1st tee shots a few times. Very odd they can’t do at the very least a split screen like they do with the play throughs and every car commercial. 

Thing is… show it on tape delay. Just SHOW IT. It's not like we'll really know what happened. Pretend it's live if you want.

Or show us the tee shots before you show the approach shots.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

I'm now almost entirely siding with Rory.

La Cava is out there twirling his hat around for a long time. I thought it was like 15 seconds and Rory just was walking around near where La Cava was. It was longer than 15 seconds, by far, and La Cava is still twirling his hat around, then goes back at Rory once or twice.

He lost his mind or something.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

On 10/1/2023 at 10:39 PM, boogielicious said:

I love the format and structure of the Ryder Cup, but I hate the nationalism. It’s a sport we all love, but we get wrapped up in the us vs them. It kind of spoils it for me.

Thank you for posting this, I totally agree. The nationalism/jingoism is such a turnoff for me

On 10/1/2023 at 11:31 PM, iacas said:

That's kinda the whole thing, though.

Not for everyone

• Thumbs Up 3

Colin P.

The Ryder Cup seems to have always had sort of a balancing act to do between creating excitement based on national rivalry without having it boil into something particularly ugly. 

Struck me funny watching some of it where one minute they were going on about the Nicklaus-Jacklin Award and sportsmanship and then later came that weirdo incident with the caddie and the hat-waiving business.  I'm guessing that caddie didn't get this year's Nicklaus-Jacklin Award. 

For serious golf fans, I'm sure it leaves a bad taste in some mouths. We do got expectations for the way the game is supposed to be played. Those guys know it to. They just forget in an unusual event like the Ryder Cup sometimes. 

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Thank you for posting this, I totally agree. The nationalism/jingoism is such a turnoff for me

Not for everyone

I love the different format games they play like four ball, best ball and match play that we don’t see that often. I also like the competitiveness on the course with players trying shots on the edge of their ability to win the hole. It’s inspiring.

But when fans get wrapped up in ‘my country is better than yours because my players won’, it sours it for me. It’s ridiculous. The Euro team won because they played better. I still like to watch them even though the team from the US lost. Am I suppose to hate Rahm and Rory now? That’s bullshit. Same with other team sports now.

As I get older, I get tired of the fans getting in fights and being rude to each other and the opposing team. A fan died at a Patriots game this year when an opposing team fan punched him. He died watching a football game. The sport now becomes insignificant doesn’t it. It’s not like he died running into a burning building or defending his country from Putin.

I’m sure the Ryder Cup has their share of rude, obnoxious fans on both sides too. But grow up people. It’s golf! We watch the Ryder Cup to see great players play great golf. And NO, you are not better than them because the player/team you support won.

The worst part of all this is hate sells and the coverage of sport reflects this. I’m sick of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

(edited)
9 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm now almost entirely siding with Rory.

La Cava is out there twirling his hat around for a long time. I thought it was like 15 seconds and Rory just was walking around near where La Cava was. It was longer than 15 seconds, by far, and La Cava is still twirling his hat around, then goes back at Rory once or twice.

He lost his mind or something.

Pure frustration that poured out with a huge putt and potential for an actual point. But yes lingered around a bit too long. Rory was not wrong for being annoyed. 

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I love the different format games they play like four ball, best ball and match play that we don’t see that often. I also like the competitiveness on the course with players trying shots on the edge of their ability to win the hole. It’s inspiring.

But when fans get wrapped up in ‘my country is better than yours because my players won’, it sours it for me. It’s ridiculous. The Euro team won because they played better. I still like to watch them even though the team from the US lost. Am I suppose to hate Rahm and Rory now? That’s bullshit. Same with other team sports now.

As I get older, I get tired of the fans getting in fights and being rude to each other and the opposing team. A fan died at a Patriots game this year when an opposing team fan punched him. He died watching a football game. The sport now becomes insignificant doesn’t it. It’s not like he died running into a burning building or defending his country from Putin.

I’m sure the Ryder Cup has their share of rude, obnoxious fans on both sides too. But grow up people. It’s golf! We watch the Ryder Cup to see great players play great golf. And NO, you are not better than them because the player/team you support won.

The worst part of all this is hate sells and the coverage of sport reflects this. I’m sick of it.

Not sure I 100% agree with you. Not sure it is hate. It is great for the home fans to root for their team. Just like any other sport there is a line and it happens where the fans take it a bit too far. For me if I can get tickets for Bethpage I can assure you I will be chanting USA. But that is where it ends. Big fan of Rory but not during the Ryder Cup. I would imagine a player like Rory would understand that as he is fully vested in the Ryder Cup. 

Edited by jmanbooyaa

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Not for everyone

I can't imagine the RC without "Nationalism".  How would they create teams?  Team "A" is World Golf Rankings 1-3-5-7-9-11 and Team "B" is WGF Rankings 2-4-6-10-12 regardless of country of origin?  Would you eliminate nationalism for all Olympic sports?

I realize it is not the same as it was many years ago, before it was common to see many European players on the weekly PGA Tour, but still a little friendly rivalry can be fun.

I do agree, it should not be taken to the extent that fans harass the opposing team or get into drunken brawls, but without the "Nationalism" the RC, Presidents Cup, Walker Cup & Solheim Cup would be weird. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I can't imagine the RC without "Nationalism".  How would they create teams?  Team "A" is World Golf Rankings 1-3-5-7-9-11 and Team "B" is WGF Rankings 2-4-6-10-12 regardless of country of origin?  Would you eliminate nationalism for all Olympic sports?

I realize it is not the same as it was many years ago, before it was common to see many European players on the weekly PGA Tour, but still a little friendly rivalry can be fun.

I do agree, it should not be taken to the extent that fans harass the opposing team or get into drunken brawls, but without the "Nationalism" the RC, Presidents Cup, Walker Cup & Solheim Cup would be weird. 

I think Colin and I are talking about the over-the-top, near violent, obnoxious stuff fans do that detracts from the competition. The national pride for representing your country is wonderful. But many take it way too far and it shows on the course and on the field. Joe La Cava’s  little dance is a good example of how it affects the players.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 hours ago, colin007 said:

Not for everyone

For almost everyone.

Without it, there’s almost no point. Do you root for any team? Have any favorite teams?

Of course you do.

Your issue and Scott’s issues aren’t with the rooting, but people just being asses. You’re blaming the wrong thing.

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

I think Colin and I are talking about the over-the-top, near violent, obnoxious stuff fans do that detracts from the competition. The national pride for representing your country is wonderful.

Exactly. It’s not the rooting or pride. It’s the assholes.

• Like 1

Just now, iacas said:

For almost everyone.

Without it, there’s almost no point. Do you root for any team? Have any favorite teams?

Of course you do.

Your issue and Scott’s issues aren’t with the rooting, but people just being asses. You’re blaming the wrong thing.

You are right there, but the media covers it and in some cases make it the focal points. They’re showing the angry fans and players and not the golf shots.

Scott

My Swing Thread