IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

X2

[quote name="Natural Patrick" url="/t/22272/how-come-pros-do-not-use-iron-covers-or/108#post_1119105"] X3 [/quote] [quote name="Natural Patrick" url="/t/22272/how-come-pros-do-not-use-iron-covers-or/108#post_1119108"] X4 [/quote] [quote name="Natural Patrick" url="/t/22272/how-come-pros-do-not-use-iron-covers-or/108#post_1119120"] X5 [/quote] Please multi-quote.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, you guys convinced me. After looking at how I play, it's time for me to buy some iron covers and a ball retriever.
  • Upvote 1

:titleist: 910D3 driver, :tmade: SLDR S 3 wood, :adams: A3OS IDEA hybrid irons, :cleve: 48*, 53*, 56*, 60* wedges, :tmade: Est. 79 TM-770 putter, whatever balls I can pick up cheap/dig out of the rough

Well, you guys convinced me. After looking at how I play, it's time for me to buy some iron covers and a ball retriever.

There you go.  Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I don't play forged clubs, which I imagine would look pretty bad after a couple weeks of buying them.

a couple weeks?  seriously?

and then a comment later about 'oiling' the clubs?

edit:  ok this was 6 years ago.....

after my range finder, my ball retriever is the next best item in the kit - I found it on the course (handle only with a kinked broken blank end).  I kept it and in the bar, there was the cup, just sitting there.  They let me take it, I took both home, cut both butt ends flush and clean up the the ends, put a press fit dowel in the tubes and fit the cup back on.  Presto - a free 12 foot retriever.

I don't any point in covers - except maybe for trips, but not on the course or even the in the trunk.  And even for trips, it's likely easier to just package up the bag with towels or so under the bag cover.

Bill - 

I like the sound of irons clinking, especially in the morning, sounds like victory.

So true - but then again so did the sound of my metal cleats walking across cart paths, in/out of the pro shop and back to my car.

But back to iron covers - how has some company not provided iron covers to a player, you know covers that would be yet another billboard.

How much do you think a sponsor would have to pay to get someone to use iron covers?

Players play, tough players win!

So true - but then again so did the sound of my metal cleats walking across cart paths, in/out of the pro shop and back to my car.

But back to iron covers - how has some company not provided iron covers to a player, you know covers that would be yet another billboard.

How much do you think a sponsor would have to pay to get someone to use iron covers?

Let me ask this. Do companies want to sell iron covers or golf clubs? I think it is better marketing to get a visual of the golf clubs that of some iron cover. When a person goes to the golf store and look for golf clubs what do they see, not iron covers.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

What is wrong with trying to keep a set of irons, that you spent over a $1000 on. Looking new as long as possible? I play golf around 2-3 times a week 8 months out of the year and I can tell you. I have beat way more golfers who don't have iron covers than those that do. The theory that only hackers use iron covers has to be one of the Dumbest things I have ever read on this forum. Keep telling yourself your like the Pro's because you don't use them LMAO. When I was young and, Almost a scratch golfer I did not use them either. Now I'm older and trying to put 4 kids through college .I can't afford a new set every year. I still shoot a round of 18 in the upper 70's.  Sure nicks and scratches have no effect on the clubs performance. The fact that when I do go to trade in on a new set I hear. "wow these clubs are in Great shape" does not me feel like any less of a golfer.

What is wrong with trying to keep a set of irons, that you spent over a $1000 on. Looking new as long as possible? I play golf around 2-3 times a week 8 months out of the year and I can tell you. I have beat way more golfers who don't have iron covers than those that do. The theory that only hackers use iron covers has to be one of the Dumbest things I have ever read on this forum. Keep telling yourself your like the Pro's because you don't use them LMAO. When I was young and, Almost a scratch golfer I did not use them either. Now I'm older and trying to put 4 kids through college .I can't afford a new set every year. I still shoot a round of 18 in the upper 70's.  Sure nicks and scratches have no effect on the clubs performance. The fact that when I do go to trade in on a new set I hear. "wow these clubs are in Great shape" does not me feel like any less of a golfer.

While I don't make any judgments about a player because he uses covers, not using them doesn't mean that you have to replace your clubs annually.  My Titleist AP-2 irons are 6 years old, have never seen an iron cover, and still look quite good for 3+ years of heavy use, and 3 years of lighter use.  I keep them clean and regrip them annually, but that's about it.  I play from whatever playable lie the game gives me, including such supposed no-nos as tree roots, gravel and concrete cart paths - I've hit an embedded stone or two along the way too.  They are tools, not display pieces, so I take care of them but I don't baby them.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

While I don't make any judgments about a player because he uses covers, not using them doesn't mean that you have to replace your clubs annually.  My Titleist AP-2 irons are 6 years old, have never seen an iron cover, and still look quite good for 3+ years of heavy use, and 3 years of lighter use.  I keep them clean and regrip them annually, but that's about it.  I play from whatever playable lie the game gives me, including such supposed no-nos as tree roots, gravel and concrete cart paths - I've hit an embedded stone or two along the way too.  They are tools, not display pieces, so I take care of them but I don't baby them.

I agree that they are tools and no need to baby them. If you are, you are probably not getting the most out of them. I don't consider keeping my clubs clean babying them, I only regrip every other year.

I agree that they are tools and no need to baby them. If you are, you are probably not getting the most out of them. I don't consider keeping my clubs clean babying them, I only regrip every other year.

Unless you're leaving your iron covers on while playing your shot, they do nothing to keep the irons clean. . They can however promote rust by trapping moisture.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have a set of iron covers, but only use them for transport. When I take the clubs out of my car, I remove the covers and throw them in the back. When the round is over, I clean my clubs and put the covers on. I just don't want to hear them rattling around in the back of the car. I'm not sure if that makes me a dweeb, or just a dork.

Unless you're leaving your iron covers on while playing your shot, they do nothing to keep the irons clean.. They can however promote rust by trapping moisture.

I use iron covers and never thought of that. I plan to get rid as im fed up of them falling off and me having to run back up the hole to grab it!!

My uncle uses them for another reason. He'll often put a higher lofted cover, say a 7 on his 5 iron when playing friendlies. He reached for his "7" nails it miles and watches as his opponents grab their real 7 then scratch their head as it lands way short!! All's fair in love and war apparently!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Unless you're leaving your iron covers on while playing your shot, they do nothing to keep the irons clean.. They can however promote rust by trapping moisture.

I never thought of that. Next time I play I will try and remember to take the iron covers of before I hit, maybe it will make a difference?  I have Never had a club rust in my life other that a black matted gap wedge. The covers will however keep your irons from getting non playing nicks and dings.

I have used iron covers for several years now.  When I decide to get new clubs, the old ones go on ebay.  When they go on ebay, good pics of clubs that are in excellent condition sell much better and for considerably more than a banged up set.  It takes me a couple extra seconds to put the cover on before going back in the bag, but I never have anyone complain about my pace of play.  I am a mid-handicapper, not a hack.

Todd

Driver:  Cobra ZL Encore 9.5*

Woods:  Cobra AMP Fairway Adjustable 3-4W

Irons: Callaway XRPro S300 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, AW

Wedges:  Cobra Trusty Rusty - 53*, 57* / Callaway Mack Daddy PM - 60*, 64*

Putter: SeeMore SB2

Golf Ball:  Callaway SuperSoft

Yes, I carry 6 wedges, what are you gonna do about it?

I have used iron covers ever since the first few rounds I walked. The clanking/banging of the irons hitting each other, with each stride,  was just something I did not want to hear.  Here's the kicker. Back when I covered my irons, and woods, covers were not that easily obtained. My wife knitted my first set. Every couple of years, she would knit another set, as the older covers began to wear out. Also, at one point  my irons had fiberglass shafts . After those, I had a set with graphite shafts.  Another reason to cover them was to prevent damage to the shafts.

To answer the OP's original question, I suspect the pros don't use covers for the simple fact of convenience. That, and maybe  it's a macho, ego thing with them.

I have even seen Nike socks used as covers, which is a bit of an amusement.  What ever works I suppose.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I don't mind iron covers being used by others, as long as you don't lose one 2 holes back and go looking for it, or clean each club thoroughly before you put it back on, or tell me I should get some as they keep your clubs looking mint, in fact, I only know 2 people who use them, and they do all the above, so yeah, from my experience, they're probably "dweebs" ( whatever that means?)

Gaz Lee

I use the iron covers and my irons look better than my previous sets without covers.  I think they protect the grooves as well as the cosmetics.  A touring professional in most cases gets free clubs when requested so it is not a problem.  I have yet to figure out how to practice lots of shots without wearing the grooves as I usually practice or warmup with a hybrid and a wedge.  Maybe I need to carry a wedge just for warming up or practice an then throw it in my vehicle.