IGNORED

Is Pebble Beach Worth $495 (or $550 in 2019)?

neophyte
Note: This thread is 1591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pebble Beach Worth $495

• Yes
    • No

My son offered to pay for me to fly out there and play it for Christmas.   I turned him down.   I don't have a bucket list of courses that I have to play.   I enjoy great company, decent golf courses and enjoying each day as it comes.    I don't disparage anyone that has that great course or any other great course on their bucket list.    Destination golf isn't on my bucket list. 

Having said all of that...if my regular group of friends were headed out that way, hell ya, I'm in.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, billchao said:

It's $550 now. Plus $45 for cart if you're not staying on property, which you'd probably want to do since you can't book a tee time more than 24 hours in advance if you're not a guest, which I imagine would be a huge letdown if you're making a trip out there to play golf and can't get on.

So realistically it costs a lot more than $550 to play Pebble.

If I am spending $495.. I am spending $550 or $600. I am not going to miss few hundred dollars when I look back a year or 5 later.

Honestly I would spend $600 on Pebble before $400 on Pinehurst #2. She just don't hook my fancy for some reason like PB does.

I agree with the thought process of those who see it from a once in a lifetime experience. It's not like investing in a lifestyle expense. People spend far more on on recurring dumber things in life over time. 

Vishal S.

23 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

If I am spending $495.. I am spending $550 or $600. I am not going to miss few hundred dollars when I look back a year or 5 later.

Honestly I would spend $600 on Pebble before $400 on Pinehurst #2. She just don't hook my fancy for some reason like PB does.

I agree with the thought process of those who see it from a once in a lifetime experience. It's not like investing in a lifestyle expense. People spend far more on on recurring dumber things in life over time. 

Mr. Lug, I have played both Pinehurst and Pebble Beach.  Other than history there is no comparison.  Pebble Beach all the way.  Pinehurst has no ocean.  And there is nothing in the golf world that compares with the Tap Room.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Don’t forget the 17 mile drive fee. Yeah, you get reimbursed if you play, but there’s a chance you’ll forget. I know I did. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Mr. Lug, I have played both Pinehurst and Pebble Beach.  Other than history there is no comparison.  Pebble Beach all the way.  Pinehurst has no ocean.  And there is nothing in the golf world that compares with the Tap Room.

Mr. Double, the ringing endorsement adds to my resolve. I live by the coast (east) and definitely appreciate the romance. Torrey was lovely as well - my best golf memoriy of 2018.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Don’t forget the 17 mile drive fee. Yeah, you get reimbursed if you play, but there’s a chance you’ll forget. I know I did. 

I could be wrong, but I think if you go in on the Pebble Beach side, not doing the circular drive, there is no charge.

I have heard the phrase, "collect experiences and memories, not stuff."  I generally agree with the sentiment.  I have played Pebble Beach and will have the memories for the rest of my life.  Yes, I could have used the money to get some super driver or set of irons but I think the experience was worth it.

Brian Kuehn

1 minute ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I have heard the phrase, "collect experiences and memories, not stuff."  I generally agree with the sentiment.  I have played Pebble Beach and will have the memories for the rest of my life.  Yes, I could have used the money to get some super driver or set of irons but I think the experience was worth it.

Would you play it again or was it a once in a life time thing?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

And some others would choose to have three other experiences somewhere instead of one at Pebble. Just depends on how highly you rank Pebble in your personal list. (Or how highly you know your dad or son or best friend or whatever ranks it.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

And some others would choose to have three other experiences somewhere instead of one at Pebble.

Yup. Plenty of other things I could think of doing with that money that isn't "collecting stuff."

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Playing Pebble Beach, staying at the Lodge and having a caddie is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.  Do it, spend the bucks.  You will understand why you did it when you are on your deathbed.  You'll have walked the same fairways as Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods... Murray.  And enjoyed the ocean views and sipped of a gin & tonic on the veranda overlooking the 18th hole.

You had creditable post until you mentioned Murray....I assume Bill Murray?

IMO...the guy's a CLOWN.

5 hours ago, billchao said:

It's $550 now. 

So realistically it costs a lot more than $550 to play Pebble.

Or approx. $750 with our Canadian peso.

20 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

You had creditable post until you mentioned Murray....I assume Bill Murray?

IMO...the guy's a CLOWN.

Or approx. $750 with our Canadian peso.

Oh, I agree. I just put Murray in there to see if anyone would notice.

I went to the resort, opted to play Spyglass. Back then it was 225. Don’t regret skipping PB. I’d pay to play the 8th hole. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Would you play it again or was it a once in a life time thing?

Once paying for it was enough for me.  I was fortunate enough to play it again on my employer's dime.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Once paying for it was enough for me.  I was fortunate enough to play it again on my employer's dime.

Yes, I would do it once. After that I would want to play other great ones around that I have heard of from close friends who have - Spanish Bay, Spyglass, Poppy Hills, Quail. 

I spent quite a bit of time on the west coast back in the early 2000 for work until 2003. Have even done the 17 mile drive when it was free but had never touched a golf club and certainly had no understanding of the pedigree of PB. Even then I thought the place was heaven on earth. Wish I was a golfer then. Would have certainly found a way to enjoy these at least once. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

I believe it would be worth the money to play Pebble. My only qualifier would be that I would like to play it with my son so I’d probably have to double the cost lol. Still, if I could make it work, I’d do it.  Walking the fairways of Pebble with my son would absolutely be worth the cost.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

25 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I believe it would be worth the money to play Pebble. My only qualifier would be that I would like to play it with my son so I’d probably have to double the cost lol. Still, if I could make it work, I’d do it.  Walking the fairways of Pebble with my son would absolutely be worth the cost.

There is nothing like Pebble Beach!  (I get a commission every time I get a Sand Trap member to go there 😁)  There are about seven to eight holes you would find on any municipal layout.  The remainders are golfer's heaven!  The last time I played there my caddie allowed me to take my final divot from number 18, put it in a sandwich bag and take it home and plant it in my front yard.

Note: This thread is 1591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!