IGNORED

250 yards is a respectable carry distance

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 1802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

I don't want to read through every post to see if someone else has said this, but range balls travel only two thirds the distance of a normal ball. therefore to reach  260 yards, the person in question would have to actually hit a 350 yard drive

Make that 390 (390 x 2/3 = 260). where do you get this information from man!? Two thirds is ridiculous.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

I don't want to read through every post to see if someone else has said this, but range balls travel only two thirds the distance of a normal ball. therefore to reach  260 yards, the person in question would have to actually hit a 350 yard drive

Really? Maybe that's a UK thing.

The range balls our courses use aren't always brand new, but they are standard golf balls. I notice no particular difference with my length from the range to the course.

On 7/28/2016 at 8:22 PM, natureboy said:

That's not universally true.

Some range balls may only go that far if they are distance limited and / or the cover has worn down so much they don't have any more lift-producing dimples.

The average I have seen for typical difference between range balls and regular balls is 5-15%, with ~ 8-10% most common. Also some ranges at premium clubs have regular balls like pro V's. If you have a higher SS, a high compression range ball may go close to as well as a premium ball. This is my experience where my range carries with driver are fairly comparable to my on-course while my irons are consistently much shorter on the range.

In which case my pro, and everyone else I have spoken to are wrong, or perhaps things are different in the U.S. As far as pro v1 balls being used on a range, sorry, I don't believe it !!

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

5 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

In which case my pro, and everyone else I have spoken to are wrong, or perhaps things are different in the U.S. As far as pro v1 balls being used on a range, sorry, I don't believe it !!

I've never been to a club that uses Pro V1 range balls but my old home course used Nike RZN non-range balls.  Every range is different, my current course uses range limited balls because the back of the range opens up to the course and a 300+ yard drive could hit someone.  I've been to other ranges where they use range balls without distance limitations.  

Best thing is to ask the range workers what type of range balls they use if you want accurate distances.  I sometimes bring shag bag balls to the range that I won't use during a round and hit them to get a better idea of my distance with new clubs.  

Joe Paradiso

20 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

There is an easy way to verify. Hit a scuffed one of your balls and see if it goes further. I do this occasionally. Old, beat up range balls are going to fly funny anyway.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

As far as pro v1 balls being used on a range, sorry, I don't believe it !!

They're out there.  Sadly, most of us are seldom fortunate enough to be invited to play at that type of club.  :no:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The original post was about how 250 yards is a respectable carry distance. I actually do hit a lot of drives further than 250 (mostly in the 265 range), but I don't try to blow that up.

Actual range balls, do not fly as far as gamer balls... I think the general consensus as stated above is 5-15%. Not all range balls are created equal.

When we had our outing at Conklin last week. I was hitting those yellow "premium" range balls with a 6i and striking it well. I was barely hitting them 130. (Mind you it was straight into a 20 mph wind and uphill) my 6i is my 175 club... so basically a 13% wind 5% for the hill... so where is the other 10 or so percent coming from oh the range balls.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

The course where the Buick Open was played Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club do use Pro V1 on the range.   It is an exclusive private course in Grand Blanc, MI.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

22 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

Most ball companies will offer a flight limited range ball to various degrees as well as a full distance range ball.  My course uses full distance balls.  They are actually really nice to hit.  I've been to one course, in Chicago, that used ProV1s for their range balls.  The next nicest were NXT Tour balls that are used at some courses around me.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I have noticed quite a few golfers in this thread with double-digit indexes who say they hit drive the ball over 250 yards.  I guess that's the only aspect of their game that they are good at?

Not trying to be a jerk, but it just goes to show how difficult golf can be.

50 minutes ago, Zekez said:

I have noticed quite a few golfers in this thread with double-digit indexes who say they hit drive the ball over 250 yards.  I guess that's the only aspect of their game that they are good at?

For some of us distance isn't an issue, it's direction. A lot of us also use game golf, feel free to check out our numbers there. 

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

9 hours ago, Zekez said:
9 hours ago, Zekez said:

Just because someone can hit it 250 doesn't necessarily mean they hit it well. My drives average 240-270 if I can keep it straight enough to be close to the fairway. And it's taken me a lot of work just to get my swing to that point. When I was younger I would swing for the fence on every drive. I've hit several over 300 and one even as long as 370 once. One single time. Back then if I kept 1/10 playable I was happy. I'd maybe hit 1/20 fairways. But now that I'm older and wiser I never swing at full speed. Now days I probably hit between 6-10 fairways per round if I'm playing decent. But I've never felt my drives were a strength of my game, I'm just big. 

11 hours ago, Zekez said:

I'm about a 12 ish, and I hit it legitimately over 250-260 on average. I actually lose most of my strokes chipping and inside 100 yards... (working on that; chipping and wedge play is better)... I could be a 5 or 6 handicap if my short game was better...

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I don't average 250 yards but today I hit 12 fairways.   My area that needs improvement is my long approach shots.   I did hit one drive today that was about 270 but I average about 225.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 5 months later...

I haven't played a driver been 2 years. 3 wood carry is about 210. Just picked up a older Cleveland hibore so interested to see my distances this season.

Friend of mine used to play to a 15 some 15 years back as a teenager. He has 10 years on me anyway. First time he's played front nine he was a bit wild. Back nine he hits some great drives. Smashes it past me. Big high fade. Swear it's 250. He's hitting 230 carry with 20 yard roll out.

Point is 250 carry is like a dream for most golfers. I'd be happy to reach 230 carry as someone said earlier you can play anywhere if you have that. I can play my course with hybrid and 3 wood but there are holes where you need a driver so usable carry distance is needed.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Golf Digest has an interesting article on how far golfers of different skill levels drive the golf ball.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-far-do-average-golfers-really-hit-it-new-distance-data-will-surprise-you?mbid=social_facebook

250 is a great distance for even a low-handicapper... Most mid-cappers only average about 215.

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

It's interesting. There are a few ways to score in golf but across a spectrum certain truths apply to most but not all.

My long game and distance is better than my short game, according to me, my coach and game golf and other stats. Gotta keep your strengths while improving your all round game. can't imagine with golf that this ever changes!

I think it's is a great carry distance, a good total distance, and it might leave a very good scoring distance depending on the hole and where the ball from the tee lies related to the pin.

@onthehunt526 I saw that graphic also with 14 percent of 250 drivers.   Might like to see that table as a blind survey in those categories values.         

Note: This thread is 1802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!