IGNORED

Please Tell Me This Guy is in a SMALL Minority (Rickie Fowler GolfWorld Cover)

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 4784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Charlie Hoffman wears a flat billed hat and no one is giving him beef about it. I like Charlie and Ricky. They both have a unique look about them, Charlie has long hair andΒ Ricky has long hair and dresses loud. They are both great golfers.

His fashion choice and mop-top hair is not easy on my eye (especially the hair, my brain does not have any favorable feelings for the sight of mop-top hair), but that's a complete over-reaction. If he was wearing a wife beater, had his pants down around his knees exposing his skull-n-bones boxers, a sideways hat, spinning rim chains, and was throwing down westside gangster symbols, I would probably agree with this reaction. But not for shaggy hair and a backwards orange hat. [edit] Not to mention that he has a great persona. Seems like a very nice guy, regardless of whether his hat points forward or backward.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Which means he's doing something right. Β In all seriousness, he couldn't come across as nicer or more respectful-but old people will be old people. Β My grandparents were scared and outraged by my parents generation, my parents were scared and outraged by my generation, and if I'm not careful I'll soon be confused and uncomfortable with everything current kids find appealing. Β The RF/golf example is especially ridiculous, considering there have been "flashy" golfers in every generation for decades.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'm surprised he didn't comment on Fowler never having won an event (has he even been in a playoff?) yet getting way more ink than most multiple winners.

Ricky is a Talented Kid who shows a lot of promise, But that cover is really horrible. Really backwards hat? Is GolfWorld trying to be more hip? Hopefully Tiger will get his head out of his A** and start playing, so we can have a better Cover.

The letter writer is a douchbag. Β Sadly douchbags are not as small a minority in the world as one would like, but they are a minority.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regularΒ shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I agree with this. Β It is as irritating as the guy wearing cutoff jeans and a tank top or no shirt. Β But I do like the kid. Β He'll look nice one day after he grows up a little.

BTW, I think any guy that walks around with his underwear visible, should be open game for a paintball to the butt!!!!

Originally Posted by inthehole

I'm a bit irritated by Ricky's image (not so much the hair, but those unbent straightΒ rims on his hats - man I hate that), but wouldn't take it to the extreme as that guy you posted.Β Β Β Β  He has a unique lookΒ & that separates him from the crowd.Β Β Β Β Β  In the end, the guys got game, so he can back it up ...

Originally Posted by mheier

Charlie Hoffman wears a flat billed hat and no one is giving him beef about it. I like Charlie and Ricky. They both have a unique look about them, Charlie has long hair andΒ Ricky has long hair and dresses loud. They are both great golfers.

Since you brought it up, his hat sucks too. But I like him too.

Β Sub 70 849Β 9* driver

:callaway:Β Β Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade:Β SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:Β Β King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

Β :ping:Β Heppler ZB3 putter

Β 

Β 

Question about the hat. Does the brim actually bend like a normal hat? The straight as an arrow brim freaks me out a bit.

Β Β :sunmountain:Β eco lite stand Bag
:tmade:Β Sim 2 Max driver
Β :callaway:Β MavrickΒ 20 * hybrid
:tmade:Β M2 3HLΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  :mizuno:Β JPX 923 5-gwΒ Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

Β Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

Question about the hat. Does the brim actually bend like a normal hat? The straight as an arrow brim freaks me out a bit.

Yeah you can if you want. Β I wear fitted hats (baseball hats) and I typically bend them a little and take off the stickers... but some people just choose to leave the bill flat and then additional people choose to keep the stickers on..

Driver:Β adams.gifΒ Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood:Β adams.gifΒ Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids:Β taylormade.gifΒ Rescue 18* 3H -Β 22* 4H

Irons:Β callaway.gifΒ X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges:Β cleveland.gifΒ CG15 52, 56

Β 

Putter:Β odyssey.gifΒ PT 82

Ball:Β Β e6

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

Next time you are at a sports store, pick up a New Era hat, the on-field caps that baseball players wear. The Pumas are like that. They don't bend (or at least they don't stay bent) as much as most hats, but they do bend some.

To the OP, this guy has to be in a tiny minority. I'm not a fan of the way he dresses simply because I don't think it looks great, but he's far fromΒ disgusting. I think people drastically overstate the way he dresses. I'm sure he gets everything tailored, and it's not like he's playing Augusta in Timberlands and pants down to his knees.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not a fan of his look, but whatever floats your boat. I don't think it offensive and I think that cover looks fine, it suppose to be a casual shot. No hit would look better, but he doing a good job of pimping his brand.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2Β When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Originally Posted by iacas

Mr. Russell: The February 14 issue had the most disgusting cover I have ever seen on your magazine in all the years I have been a subscriber. I immediately ripped off the cover and threw it in the trash can. Are we that desperate to find a replacement for Tiger that we have to promote a kid who can't find his way to a barbershop or wear decent clothes to play this great game of ours. He can't even put his hat on straight to pose for a magazine cover. If this is what your magazine wants to promote maybe it's time for me to consider the other weekly publication.

John L. Grant, Crest Hill, IL

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/golf-editors/2011/02/that-golf-world-cover.html

Please, someone, tell me this is total crap and there are maybe three people out there who think similarly to this guy?

"Disgusting"? Seriously? It's not like the guy's out there disrespecting the game, his fellow competitors, the fans, sponsors, etc. He dresses differently than you.

I hope to $_DEITY I never feel like John L. Grant of Crest Hill, IL. (Though I reserve the right for wearing your pants halfway down your legs... for reasons of practicality! :-D)

P.S. And, come to think of it, I don't even care about wearing pants around your knees. I just choose not to do that myself. What someone else wants to do is their business.

Yeah he obviously thinks the times do not change. One of the oldies who thinks things should stay how they are.

What an idiot. To even mention a 'straight hat' is just ridiculous.

:tmade:Β SLDR X-Stiff 12.5Β°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2Β° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I like how the subheadline trumpets that Rickie is talented, charismatic and respectful of the game, but Mr. Grant blows straight by this in his apoplexy about the kid's appearance. Apparently he exclusively judges things by their covers (before ripping them off and throwing them in the trash).

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Rickie is great for the game and I personally really enjoy watching him.Β  We are the same age and I can't believe how much better he is than me haha.Β  He has brought a new generation of golfers into the game and I think that is great.Β  You see a lot more of the younger crowd wearing the flashy clothes and if it brings them out to the golf course I think that is great.Β  When I first started golfing a lot in middle school I couldn 't beg my friends to go with me but now with Rickie, DJ and Rors, I think I have them addicted.

Just an FYI the flat brimmed hats were not started by the "gangsta rappers" but baseball players.Β  The Basball crew in the 59/50 hats (the fitted MLB hats) have been wearing the flat brims for 20 years+ long beforeΒ the Rap Community.Β  The baseballers wore them flat brimmed so the could fit the flip up sunglasses underneath.Β  Then you saw the pitchers wearing them slightly off center so that it sheilded their eyes from the sun, when looking to 1st or 3rd in their wind up..

How it made the transition i dont know, i think it had alot to do with rep'ing their city or hood?

Rickie Fowler is exactly what golf needs, a shot in the arm.Β  i remember not to long ago people complaining about Payne Stewart's loud NFL gear too.Β  Fowler is a good kid with his head on straight, and sounds like this crumudgeon is just jealous that this kid can beat him by 40 some strokes.

Note:Β This thread is 4784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!