IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Maybe, but Phil would have remembered putting it in extra large font. He acted like it was always that smaller font.

Bullshit once again, @natureboy. When has @Phil McGleno "act[ed] like it was always that smaller font"?

And so what if the font was large? Seriously, so what? How is saying "The Dan Plan is Dead" in bold, large font - in response to a post pointing out that the hour count hadn't been updated in over four months - inappropriate? How is that overly negative? How does it point to Phil "not liking him" or "wanting him to fail?"

These questions are rhetorical because, again, I will ask that you move on and discuss the actual topic, now, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Maybe, but Phil would have remembered putting it in extra large font. He acted like it was always that smaller font.

52 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Nice try, but I have a semi-photographic biographical memory. It was extra large font.

Not sure what your objective is here. You seem to be pushing other members buttons for no reason. Please reconsider this approach. You are not adding anything to the conversation.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Please find where I have bashed Dan. Or where others in this cabal you allege have done so. Your opinion is not aligning with reality.

You've done the opposite, you actually offered to help him.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Reading this thread from the beginning - I don't recall @iacas being negative towards Dan at all and he's made a lot of good points and observations about the plan and the swing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I never recalled @iacas saying anything about Dan that weren't based on the facts.

As far as wanting Dan to fail, that's just not true at all. In fact, he wanted to help Dan reach his fullest potential whatever that may be. If Dan was nervous about his potential limitations, that's on Dan and not Erik.

If anything, I get that feeling that Dan would be afraid that he's reached that potential and Erik and Dave would discover that and possibly make it public which would pretty much shut down the Dan Plan.

Again, that's a far cry from wanting him to fail. Saying that is just not true, and I feel like an apology is owed Erik and Phil.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Again, that's a far cry from wanting him to fail. Saying that is just not true, and I feel like an apology is owed Erik and Phil.

I'm not holding my breath, and I also asked that we move on and discuss The Dan Plan itself, not @natureboy's incorrect posts on the topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What does "pedagogy" mean in this case? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedagogy

I need to look up pretty much every word and getting the colloquial meaning is really stumping me. Even my kids don't know, and their language skills are pretty strong. . .

In response to Dan's latest blog:

Brian Kuehn says:

“Nonlinear Pedagogy”. Yes, that just about sums up the last 5 years.

Not sure what Brian means, or what Dan originally meant. . .

Also, I disagree with Dan's "burnout" prevention statements. Most kids who do something day and night are really loving every moment of what they are doing. It's almost like he's never seen kids who are really "into" something before?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

while in the P section...check on pedantic.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

3 minutes ago, collapse said:

while in the P section...check on pedantic.

Okay. . .

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pedantic

Ostentatious in one's learning.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ostentatious

Characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pretentious

Characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved.

You really know how to make someone work hard to understand what you are stating, but I think I figured out this one?

• Upvote 3

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

46 minutes ago, Lihu said:

If I understand Dan correctly, a major theme at the conference he participated in was how the learning process is not something that will ever be a straight line from A to B. I haven't re-read his post recently, but I remember him also being impressed with the idea of different learning modes: play vs. focused, disciplined learning- each having a role.

I think "pedagogy" just means "method of learning." And "non-linear"just means what I wrote in the above paragraph. (I think) Not a huge surprise to me, but I guess we are just now getting to a better scientific understanding of it all.

As for Brian, I think he was just sharing his amusement with The Dan Plan being quite non-linear, as in unfocused/bouncing around. 

But this brings up an idea that I've likely mentioned before: Dan is totally into this aspect of his project. Learning modes. Achievement. Potential. All the TED Topic things... inspiration, etc.  The golf, not so much.  You see it in the topics he blogs about. You see it in the detail he goes into. Dan's a guy who was inspired by an academic concept, and a desire to be part of that world- speaking tours, case studies, conferences.

The golf is just a means to an end, I think, although he has been bitten by the golf bug too. It is secondary to his true passion, and unfortunately, he may not succeed enough in golf to allow him to have much of a future in his primary area of interest. We shall see.

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

I need to look up pretty much every word and getting the colloquial meaning is really stumping me. Even my kids don't know, and their language skills are pretty strong. . .

In response to Dan's latest blog:

Not sure what Brian means, or what Dan originally meant. . .

Also, I disagree with Dan's "burnout" prevention statements. Most kids who do something day and night are really loving every moment of what they are doing. It's almost like he's never seen kids who are really "into" something before?

Pedagogy is how you go about learning things. Nonlinear means in this context, not linear, not going about something in a straightforward manner.

The statement can be construed as a compliment. Meaning Dan Plan is thinking "outside the box", not doing things SOP (standard operating procedure), doing things "smarter" than your average joe.

Or, it could be a backhanded insult. Doing something in a chaotic, unorganized manner, not efficient.

That's the thing about these conferences and the high concept web/print magazines that interview Dan Plan that turn me off. The articles are so vague and pseudo intellectual, there's no solid take aways, it's just this stuff sounds really cool and might help you do things better but when you really think about it, it sounds like a bunch of half baked concepts. It's like when I talk to a developer and ask him/her why are you using this api or way of coding this and he/she says because it's new and cool and shiny and the in-thing (it'll look good on my resume) as opposed because it best suits the objective.  

Instead of using the title nonlinear pedagogy in the blog entry, why not just use RANDOM ****ING PRACTICE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE ****ING TALKING ABOUT GD IT. Sorry, I gotta wean myself off the coffee. Errrrr. I hate it when people don't speak plainly and opt for impressive sounding words to sound smarter than they are. 

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It sounds like Dan is process focused rather than results focused. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I stumbled across the Dan plan a few years back and thought it was a really interesting idea. Admittedly at this point I had never played golf and had no idea how easy or difficult it would actually be. I had read a couple of interviews of pros from various sports saying they were lucky that people(especially the talented ones) are lazy and they've managed to get to a high enough level of skill by simply practicing rigorously. I thought the Plan would have a relatively decent chance of some kind of succes given the person had motivation and could focus on doing things properly from the get go and did not have to worry about finances.

I though't he would have a proper workout program working on getting much stronger and bigger in addition to working on his specific sport. I started playing golf a few months back myself and recalled the Dan plan and checked it out again. Needless to say I was very surprised Dan still had the physique of a scrawny male looking nothing like a pro athlete. I think the whole plan is obsolete simply because Dan has not had the motivation(conviction or w/e) to work on having the physique to atleast match the pros. This is in my opinion one of things he could've and should've done to level the playing field considerably. Looking at golf pros in general it's definitely not a very difficult task to attain their level of fit even with the recent fitness craze. Even Dan in his 30s should've achieved a very high level of fitness in the years he has had.

The main thing in my mind is his lack of driving distance because of the lack of oomph in his swing.

His swing is reasonable for an amateur male, but not even close to the top 2-3% of all golfers. So, there are about a million golfers who have a better swing than him. Not really an elite level at all. There are plenty of 65-70 year olds who out drive and out score him from better technique.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 12/22/2015 at 7:18 AM, Alx said:

I though't he would have a proper workout program working on getting much stronger and bigger in addition to working on his specific sport. I started playing golf a few months back myself and recalled the Dan plan and checked it out again. Needless to say I was very surprised Dan still had the physique of a scrawny male looking nothing like a pro athlete. I think the whole plan is obsolete simply because Dan has not had the motivation(conviction or w/e) to work on having the physique to atleast match the pros. This is in my opinion one of things he could've and should've done to level the playing field considerably. Looking at golf pros in general it's definitely not a very difficult task to attain their level of fit even with the recent fitness craze. Even Dan in his 30s should've achieved a very high level of fitness in the years he has had.

He surely doesn't look to be in peak athletic form in this video from Finland last month. 

At 0:41, he does some full swings. (no ball, just practice swings in cold weather)

At 3:15, he does some short game swings. (on what appears to be a tennis court with ice)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

He lifts his head a little too soon and sways back a bit. Not much, but enough that it's noticeable. What do you think about him being a 2.6HC?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

He surely doesn't look to be in peak athletic form in this video from Finland last month. 

At 0:41, he does some full swings. (no ball, just practice swings in cold weather)

At 3:15, he does some short game swings. (on what appears to be a tennis court with ice)

Wow, he does not look good.  He looks very haggard.  

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

2 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Wow, he does not look good.  He looks very haggard.

Yeah, doesn't look like a guy that is seeking people to invest in his future.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!