IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, flopster said:

I have been away for a while but it sounds as if this plan has stalled in the past year, from what little I have learned is his back injury has stopped any further progress, I just hope people don't think the reason he didn't make it was because of the injury, it was a simple lack of physical golf talent and something Dan needs to accept.

Welcome back! I kind of wondered where you went?

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, Lihu said:

Welcome back! I kind of wondered where you went?

Nowhere just been a little preoccupied with the new house/moving but did peek in for a look from time to time just didn't post.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

1 minute ago, tdiii said:

Dan is no longer keeping a handicap.  Nothing on GHIN.  (The only Dan McLaughlin in Oregon is a different Dan.) 

It is very possible he lost or has given up the membership at the club he was playing at. He was playing at a pretty nice country club and either ran out of money or goodwill with the membership.

If he joined a new club, even some kind of internet one, in Oregon it wouldn't go active until March 1. Our GHIN's go dormant from November 1 to March 1. 

Michael

GHIN doesn't go active season in Oregon until next week, and I seriously doubt anyone is playing for keeps for a while. And solo rounds don't count anymore.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Clearly Dan has not renewed his GHIN account or has not signed up with a club that provides handicapping services.   I get an updated handicap index every 15 days even though our active season does not start until 4/1/2016.  If I had not paid my club membership a couple months ago, I would also have disappeared from the system until such time as I signed on somewhere.

Dan is going to resurface.  He will apologize for not keeping interested people up to date. He will mention that he considered writing updates but for various reasons was not able to do so.

I am doubtful that the condition that resulted in his back pain is totally resolved.  He is going to plunge on, regardless.  He has invested so much time into this "plan" that I don't see him abandoning it unless he truly can not swing a golf club.  Maybe he will prove me wrong.

Brian Kuehn

30 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I am doubtful that the condition that resulted in his back pain is totally resolved.  He is going to plunge on, regardless.  He has invested so much time into this "plan" that I don't see him abandoning it unless he truly can not swing a golf club.  Maybe he will prove me wrong.

I agree with this statement, but I still have no idea how he hurt his back?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

41 minutes ago, Lihu said:

... I still have no idea how he hurt his back?

I am not sure Dan knows and possibly is not entirely sure of what the problem is.  I respect the idea that he doesn't need to share personal health issues with the world.  What little he has said never made me believe he actually had a medical diagnosis based on a thorough medical exam.

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I am not sure Dan knows and possibly is not entirely sure of what the problem is.  I respect the idea that he doesn't need to share personal health issues with the world.  What little he has said never made me believe he actually had a medical diagnosis based on a thorough medical exam.

Dan does have the right to disclose as much or as little as he knows about his injury but when you're asking people for donations and sponsorship it's usually not a good idea to disappear for extended periods of time.

If he hasn't received a medical diagnosis then he's not only placing his golf career at risk but his long term well being, back injuries can be very serious.  

Joe Paradiso

I agree. He doesn't need to disclose exactly what his injuries are, but it is kind of important to not just go completely mute for months when you're trying to garner donations, sponsors, and cashflow.

It would take Dan approximately 1 hour out of his day to write a solid blog post about his progress and what he's working on in terms of physical therapy, his golf game, etc. If he even did it once a week it would occupy a grand total of .6% of his time across the week, leaving him with 99.4% of the rest of the week for sleeping, eating, working, etc. 1 hour a week is not that much to expect from a guy that you are looking to potentially give cash to.

I dunno what's up, but something is certainly awry. It really isn't hard at all to write a quick blog post updating others of the situation, especially as the golf season gears up in Oregon. The last update made it seem like Dan could still practice his short game and putting, why isn't he doing that? If he's working on the side, why hasn't he mentioned that he has decided to generate additional revenue on the side. As a freelance marketing agent/photographer I'm sure he could schedule his time to still allow for plenty of golf practice while maintaining his lifestyle.

I still wonder if his swing is such that it injures his back?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I agree. He doesn't need to disclose exactly what his injuries are, but it is kind of important to not just go completely mute for months when you're trying to garner donations, sponsors, and cashflow.

It would take Dan approximately 1 hour out of his day to write a solid blog post about his progress and what he's working on in terms of physical therapy, his golf game, etc. If he even did it once a week it would occupy a grand total of .6% of his time across the week, leaving him with 99.4% of the rest of the week for sleeping, eating, working, etc. 1 hour a week is not that much to expect from a guy that you are looking to potentially give cash to.

I dunno what's up, but something is certainly awry. It really isn't hard at all to write a quick blog post updating others of the situation, especially as the golf season gears up in Oregon. The last update made it seem like Dan could still practice his short game and putting, why isn't he doing that? If he's working on the side, why hasn't he mentioned that he has decided to generate additional revenue on the side. As a freelance marketing agent/photographer I'm sure he could schedule his time to still allow for plenty of golf practice while maintaining his lifestyle.

I don't think that it's as simple as that.

I don't think he would get many donations if he suddenly posted. I doubt he was getting very many donations toward the end of his run there when he was playing.

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I still wonder if his swing is such that it injures his back?

Every golf swing can injure your back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

While that's true, posting is generally a requirement to potentially get new donors involved, so he's limiting himself severely in that regard. It'll be hard for him to regain his footing after this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:40 AM, iacas said:

I don't think that it's as simple as that.

I don't think he would get many donations if he suddenly posted. I doubt he was getting very many donations toward the end of his run there when he was playing.

Every golf swing can injure your back.

Dan's swing to me looked very contrived at times and his unwillingness to tear down all the flaws and start over with solid fundamentals I believe ultimately led to his injuries, here's a guy spending 30+ hours a week swinging a club in a way that can hurt him eventually and in fact did, he had all the time in the world to undo the flaws and swing a club in a more proper form which imo limits the chances of injury, if there is one thing we can take away from this is if your going to dedicate a lot of time practicing get a lesson first and periodically as often as possible, Dan like many people thought he could figure it out on his own and discarded instruction when funds got tight which was the worst decision he could have made.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

3 hours ago, flopster said:

Dan's swing to me looked very contrived at times and his unwillingness to tear down all the flaws and start over with solid fundamentals I believe ultimately led to his injuries, here's a guy spending 30+ hours a week swinging a club in a way that can hurt him eventually and in fact did, he had all the time in the world to undo the flaws and swing a club in a more proper form which imo limits the chances of injury, if there is one thing we can take away from this is if your going to dedicate a lot of time practicing get a lesson first and periodically as often as possible, Dan like many people thought he could figure it out on his own and discarded instruction when funds got tight which was the worst decision he could have made.

I blame his swing coach or instructor for that.  Dan started out putting and progressed to longer shots.  There's no reason for him to end up with a flawed swing except for his instructor having taught him to swing incorrectly.  

Joe Paradiso

13 hours ago, flopster said:

The back will give out even if your swing is flawless.. The whole golf swing is an injury waiting to happen..  Even if he had a perfect swing that doesn't mean he wouldn't have injured himself, nor does it mean that he would have reduced his chances of injuring his back.  I personally don't think there is a relationship there.  ie Tiger Woods (flawless swing)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Memory's fuzzy, but back problem may have had something to do w/moving. IME, not a rare occurrence to hurt your back after a move.

Be careful when you do stuff around the house that involves heavy things or lots of repetitive motion. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

The back will give out even if your swing is flawless.. The whole golf swing is an injury waiting to happen..  Even if he had a perfect swing that doesn't mean he wouldn't have injured himself, nor does it mean that he would have reduced his chances of injuring his back.  I personally don't think there is a relationship there.  ie Tiger Woods (flawless swing)

I disagree, a number of pro golfers play their entire careers without any back injuries.  Individual swings place stress on different body parts.  Tiger had a pretty violent swing that also placed a lot of stress on his left knee and eventually damaged it.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!