IGNORED

Single Length Irons

Note: This thread is 1023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Single Length Irons  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about single length Irons?

• Legitimate
    • Gimmick

I've only used the 1irongolf clubs, woods and irons through lob wedge. The problem with single length is you can't just demo them and make an informed decision. You have to use them for a half dozen range visits and another 5 rounds minimum to really decide. So it's take the leap of faith or don't. Really a totally game with them for a while.

45 minutes ago, optionyout said:

I've only used the 1irongolf clubs, woods and irons through lob wedge. The problem with single length is you can't just demo them and make an informed decision. You have to use them for a half dozen range visits and another 5 rounds minimum to really decide. So it's take the leap of faith or don't. Really a totally game with them for a while.

I agree it is a bit of a leap.  Sterling Golf has a 30 day return policy.  That softens the blow and their prices are reasonable.

High end custom fit single length golf clubs, reviewed by Golf Channel®, Golf Magazine®, Golf Digest® and with tons of testimonials. Money back guarantee.

I am really interested in the 5 iron and 4 hybrid (cobra).  I think I could make the 8,9,PW,GW work.  I am half tempted to buy a used one length cobra 4 hybrid from second swing golf to try it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, inthecup said:

I agree it is a bit of a leap.  Sterling Golf has a 30 day return policy.  That softens the blow and their prices are reasonable.

High end custom fit single length golf clubs, reviewed by Golf Channel®, Golf Magazine®, Golf Digest® and with tons of testimonials. Money back guarantee.

I am really interested in the 5 iron and 4 hybrid (cobra).  I think I could make the 8,9,PW,GW work.  I am half tempted to buy a used one length cobra 4 hybrid from second swing golf to try it.

I don't think that would really work. The swingweight on one length are all the same. So if you just shorten a club or two the distances wouldn't be matched to your current clubs. So the 5 iron might not get you a good distance gap from say your 6 iron.

13 minutes ago, optionyout said:

I don't think that would really work. The swingweight on one length are all the same. So if you just shorten a club or two the distances wouldn't be matched to your current clubs. So the 5 iron might not get you a good distance gap from say your 6 iron.

You misunderstand me.  I was not going to shorten a club.  I would only buy clubs made for that purpose.  

• 1 month later...

Has anybody ever played single length irons? I'm new to the game and I have some trouble transitioning from club to club. The idea of all your clubs being the same length makes sense to me. What are your thoughts?

• iacas changed the title to Single Length Irons
  • 2 weeks later...

I transitioned to one length irons recently.

The longer wedges and shorter long irons don't bother me much. I mean, it's really not that much of a difference anyway.

As far as whether or not they will help my game.... the jury is still out.

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

I have the Cobra f8 set.  However I did a mixed set.  I have the 3(utility), 4, 5, 6 and 7 at 37.5 length.  Then 8 thru all my wedges standard variable length.  I REALLY like the setup. More confidence in my long irons than I've had in a long time and I haven't had any gaping issues.  

I've hit the Cobra SL irons at a demo day and thought they were pretty good. Now that the F9's are out, the F8's are being discounted at around half price. Time to buy a set and give them a run. One nice feature of single-length irons that nobody seems to mention: If you have graphite shafts, the necks won't get chipped up from bag chatter. Heads will be hitting heads instead of shafts. If you own a set of graphite shaft irons, you'll know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

I play off about a 19 HC. It is what it is. I'm currently looking at the Cobra F8 one lengths. I'm going for a fitting on Monday. I'll bring my current set with me and see how it goes. I can hit lasers with my 7 iron and I don't have problems hitting my 4 and 5 hybrids. The problems are with my shorter irons. Being tall, with my PW and shorter clubs I tend to come over the top and either pull the shot or shank them. Practice with these clubs tends to get my back hurting. I'm not exactly young anymore and long practice sessions are out. I'd rather be on the course playing. I tried the 7i and GW yesterday off the rack and didn't have any issue with the GW, just that they were 1" shorter than I normally play. Being that they're on sale right now..... That 4H, 5H - PW set looks pretty interesting. Add a GW to it and a one length 56 wedge and I should be good to go. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 2 weeks later...

I also recently changed to single length but I went down the Pinhawk road. On the range I thought yes these are the future but alas the first time I played them it was a bit of a disaster. The problem was gapping, I thought they would gap similar to my variable set but I was way off, especially from 8 to GW, hitting these a lot further. What this means is I'm bunched up with the lower irons and not entirely sure what club to take on approach. I've just bagged a Cobra F8 19 deg hybrid to see if I can lengthen the gap. Need to go on a trackman and get an idea as to what the true yardages are. But aside from the above once I settled down, relaxed and used the round as a trial my scores improved, 3 pars and a birdy on the back 9 against a 12, couple of 10s, 3 lost balls and no pars on the front. 

Hi guys. First Post on here. 

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any tips for playing one Lengh irons?

Maybe some thing that worked for you better after a while of using/switching to one Lengh. Things like ball position. Stance etc? 

I'm using cobra f8 one Lengh irons and hybrids. Also a one Lengh utility iron. 

Cheers guys.. 

16 hours ago, chris_mcfc said:

Hi guys. First Post on here. 

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any tips for playing one Lengh irons?

Maybe some thing that worked for you better after a while of using/switching to one Lengh. Things like ball position. Stance etc? 

I'm using cobra f8 one Lengh irons and hybrids. Also a one Lengh utility iron. 

Cheers guys.. 

I bought the F9 One Lengths. They will take time to get used to. I just finished day 2 with them. I'll play my first round with them Tuesday.

1. Take your stance with your feet shoulder width apart. - if you have an alignment stick you can wrap some electrical tape to mark the outside of your shoulders. These clubs don't work well with wide stances.

2. Play the ball dead center for every single club including the hybrids.

3. Make your 7 iron swing with every single club. You need to commit to the idea that every club is a 7 iron. 

4. Go to the driving range. Take every club out of the bag and line them up. Hit a couple of shots with the 7 iron, then randomly pick another club. Hit 5 shots with that. Randomly pick a different club. Hit 5 more shots. Randomly pick another club. Hit 5 more shots. And so on. 

Just make sure you line up with the ball in the same place every time and your feet shoulder width apart every time. The grips on these clubs are fatter at the bottom than a standard grip, so you might have a little fade at first until you get used to them. That's normal. Allow your brain to compensate. It'll go too far the other way one time, then back to the middle.

If you find yourself getting frustrated, step back and swing the club around. Feel the weight of the club head. Let it pause at the top naturally and drop naturally like a pendulum back and forth. Swing it back and forth for practice swings. Get loose with it. Then step into the shot and hit the ball. 

The clubs will not cover up swing flaws. You just won't have a different flaw with every club.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Julia

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

I bought the F9 One Lengths. They will take time to get used to. I just finished day 2 with them. I'll play my first round with them Tuesday.

1. Take your stance with your feet shoulder width apart. - if you have an alignment stick you can wrap some electrical tape to mark the outside of your shoulders. These clubs don't work well with wide stances.

3. Make your 7 iron swing with every single club. You need to commit to the idea that every club is a 7 iron. 

4. Go to the driving range. Take every club out of the bag and line them up. Hit a couple of shots with the 7 iron, then randomly pick another club. Hit 5 shots with that. Randomly pick a different club. Hit 5 more shots. Randomly pick another club. Hit 5 more shots. And so on. 

Just make sure you line up with the ball in the same place every time and your feet shoulder width apart every time. The grips on these clubs are fatter at the bottom than a standard grip, so you might have a little fade at first until you get used to them. That's normal. Allow your brain to compensate. It'll go too far the other way one time, then back to the middle.

If you find yourself getting frustrated, step back and swing the club around. Feel the weight of the club head. Let it pause at the top naturally and drop naturally like a pendulum back and forth. Swing it back and forth for practice swings. Get loose with it. Then step into the shot and hit the ball. 

The clubs will not cover up swing flaws. You just won't have a different flaw with every club.

Are these the Cobra King F9s? I won a set (5-PW). a week or so ago at a league raffle. I tried them the day I won them. Then boxed the up and put them in the closet. Not sure what I will do with them as yet. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Thanks!

One thing I'm not keen on is the stock cobra grips but I do use the cobra connect/caddie. Might have to switch them. 

I'm off to the range later I'll give some of that a try. Liking the sound of taking a random club and hitting it without knowing what it is. In my head I still feel like I have to set up slightly differently like regular irons so this might help. 

3 hours ago, Patch said:

Are these the Cobra King F9s? I won a set (5-PW). a week or so ago at a league raffle. I tried them the day I won them. Then boxed the up and put them in the closet. Not sure what I will do with them as yet. 

Yes those are the Cobra King F9s. The thing is that you have to buy into the "every one of these is a 7 iron." If you don't, you won't like them. But I think it's a great idea for people who only get out to play once a week and maybe get one practice session a week. You only have to learn a 7 iron swing and your driver swing, chipping and putting and you can get around the course.

@chris_mcfc I wasn't too keen on the grips either because they're not the "pro-taper" that I'm used to playing. Give them a few sessions. You have to get used to the grips too. If you don't like them, replace them. 

Julia

Spoiler

• 2 years later...

Bought a set of AGX one length iron heads only as I wanted to try the short irons 8, 9, w, s/w as same length shaft, I’m planning on making them 8 iron length and wonder if extending a 9 iron shaft a half inch would be better than cutting the 7 or 6 iron shaft . Can anyone tell me if they tried this before buying the correct shaft and what should work best for my trial???

cheers

Note: This thread is 1023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!