IGNORED

My Edel Wedges (Or 'Super Bounce and Why It's Good for You' or 'The Sweet Spot Is Finally in the Right Place!

Note: This thread is 1068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 6/23/2017 at 11:11 AM, brg1875 said:

I've had my 58* and 54* in the DVR grind for a few weeks now and I'm really struggling out of the sand which used to be a strong suit. Because of the bounce when I'm trying to hit the ball out, the club isn't getting underneath the sand to explode the ball out and I've been blading it or catching it thin with the leading edge even though I'm entering the sand well behind the ball. So much so I had to use my Gap wedge that I have with my regular iron set with less bounce. Any thoughts or suggestions out of the sand?

As stated above, you may be engaging the bounce too far behind the ball.

Another item on the checklist is this - the bounce is high at the front and then cuts off quickly, which is why these wedges are so versatile. But it can cause an issue in the bunker if your technique is questionable. Because the DVR and TRP for that matter (my grind) have so much trailing edge and heel and toe relief, if you engage the leading edge in the sand, you are dead meat. I don't know your bunker setup, but you want to feel as if you putting the back of the wedge into the sand first - then the high bounce takes over and you'll have no issues in the bunker. I've found the right setup, slow tempo and relaxed arms works best for me.

Pete Cowan's setup with Roger Cleveland works well for me.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

As stated above, you may be engaging the bounce too far behind the ball.

Bingo.

Oh, I just noticed that I was the one who replied to the earlier post. :-) Heh heh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Have to admit, I've known about Edel wedges for some time but have never taken the plunge. Well, cowabunga! 

edel_hero.JPG

They got their first couple rounds last weekend and the early returns are positive. The members of my foursome were all commenting on the amount of spin I could generate on short shots. These get through all but the toughest of greenside rough with no problem, and full shots are pretty consistent with what I'm used to. I can't wait to get some more practice in with them and start really taking advantage of the clubs' features.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

• 2 months later...

5 years after reading into this topic, I finally can say I've got bounce. Unfortunately, Im traveling for work all week and won't be able to use them until Saturday. Im pumped, either way, knowing they're exactly what I need and should be perfect from the very first swing. Not a great picture as my wife sent them to me from unboxing today at home. Zoey, Harper, and Jax are my 3 dogs. Thats one condition my wife had when I was fitted. I think they look great. Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 10.32.21 PM.png

• Like 2

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

On 11/6/2017 at 10:34 PM, kpaulhus said:

5 years after reading into this topic, I finally can say I've got bounce. Unfortunately, Im traveling for work all week and won't be able to use them until Saturday. Im pumped, either way, knowing they're exactly what I need and should be perfect from the very first swing. Not a great picture as my wife sent them to me from unboxing today at home. Zoey, Harper, and Jax are my 3 dogs. Thats one condition my wife had when I was fitted. I think they look great. Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 10.32.21 PM.png

Very Nice

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I always thought these wedges are sweet, but balked at the price. I do need new gap and sand wedges though and I'm trying to talk myself (and my wife) into getting a fitting instead of just buying off the rack Pings or something.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 11/8/2017 at 2:40 PM, billchao said:

I always thought these wedges are sweet, but balked at the price. I do need new gap and sand wedges though and I'm trying to talk myself (and my wife) into getting a fitting instead of just buying off the rack Pings or something.

Mine were only $30 more than a normal wedge. The fitting alone was worth $75. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

53 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Mine were only $30 more than a normal wedge. The fitting alone was worth $75. 

Really? For some reason I have it in my head that they're close to $200 each.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, billchao said:

Really? For some reason I have it in my head that they're close to $200 each.

MAP is $180.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 1:40 PM, billchao said:

Price varies among fitters - some do not charge for the fitting, and if you purchase multiple wedges, the per wedge price may fall a bit. Good luck. I'm putting mine back in the back after hitting Muiras for a year. Just want to see how it goes.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I've been thinking of them lately.  I really should get a fit for the bottom of the bag, too.  With my new irons, I have a bit too much spacing between W and 50, so I'm debating picking up the utility wedge from my iron set and then getting fit for 1-2 wedges at the bottom -- probably around the same time I figure out the woods at the top too.  Otherwise I'd probably end up with just a 54 and 58 in Ping's Glide 2.0.  

How often are we supposed to replace wedges anyway?  Pros probably do so every few weeks, but I've had my wedges for I think two years, maybe two and a half, and they're still good I think.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I've been thinking of them lately.  I really should get a fit for the bottom of the bag, too.  With my new irons, I have a bit too much spacing between W and 50, so I'm debating picking up the utility wedge from my iron set and then getting fit for 1-2 wedges at the bottom -- probably around the same time I figure out the woods at the top too.  Otherwise I'd probably end up with just a 54 and 58 in Ping's Glide 2.0.  

How often are we supposed to replace wedges anyway?  Pros probably do so every few weeks, but I've had my wedges for I think two years, maybe two and a half, and they're still good I think.

I go 200 rounds, so every 18 months for me 

Kyle Paulhus

I met up with Iacas a couple months ago for a fitting.  Figured my Vokeys had 300+ rounds on them, they were looking pretty beat and not getting as much spin as they used to.  I had also been re-reading this thread and a few others, and suspected I didn't have enough bounce (50-8, 54-11, and 58-8) for my swing style and local turf conditions.

Went with the DVR grind  and KBS 110 R shafts, but stayed with the 50,54,58 degree lofts.

Got about six rounds in with them before the courses closed for the year, and am quite happy.  Sand play is a breeze with them, and my chips (not my strongest suit) are more consistent, too.  My only surprise was (as others have noted) about 5 yards shorter on full shots than the Vokeys.  However, working now at the indoor range, I am experimenting with moving the ball position back about an inch, and it seems like I am hitting the wedges more solidly.  It may also just be me getting more used to a bit different clubhead weight and shaft flex.  Always nice to have something to work on.

• Like 1

Marshall

• 1 year later...

I'm finally adding my own wedges to this thread! Some people here have played with me and know the "set" of wedges I have been playing with was well overdue for replacement.

Special thanks to @iacas and @david_wedzik for helping me with the fitting/demo process while I was visiting Erie. I was able to play a round with these and try them out extensively at Golf Evolution before I decided on the purchase.

525201918527.jpg

525201918537.jpg

5252019185153.jpg

5252019185323.jpg

It was with the Edel LW that I finally was able to complete the Flop Shot Challege (and off a mat, no less), so I have great confidence that these will give me a variety of greenside options that I previously thought I didn't have the skill for. Turned out the head design matters.

A few thoughts:

1. Obviously I love the stamping design (duh, it's mine) but they're very well done and the paint fill is clean.
  2. Love the satin finish. That should reduce glare a bit while still maintaining the overall aesthetic of my bag.
  3. I like that the grooves go so far out towards the toe. Not that I need it or anything :whistle:

Here's how they look in the bag:

5252019185339.jpg

Can't wait to hit them. Unfortunately it rained all last week and so far this week I'm on the shelf due to a neck injury I sustained on Friday.

Bill

My Swing Thread

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I'm finally adding my own wedges to this thread! Some people here have played with me and know the "set" of wedges I have been playing with was well overdue for replacement.

Special thanks to @iacas and @david_wedzik for helping me with the fitting/demo process while I was visiting Erie. I was able to play a round with these and try them out extensively at Golf Evolution before I decided on the purchase.

525201918527.jpg

525201918537.jpg

5252019185153.jpg

5252019185323.jpg

It was with the Edel LW that I finally was able to complete the Flop Shot Challege (and off a mat, no less), so I have great confidence that these will give me a variety of greenside options that I previously thought I didn't have the skill for. Turned out the head design matters.

A few thoughts:

1. Obviously I love the stamping design (duh, it's mine) but they're very well done and the paint fill is clean.
  2. Love the satin finish. That should reduce glare a bit while still maintaining the overall aesthetic of my bag.
  3. I like that the grooves go so far out towards the toe. Not that I need it or anything :whistle:

Here's how they look in the bag:

5252019185339.jpg

Can't wait to hit them. Unfortunately it rained all last week and so far this week I'm on the shelf due to a neck injury I sustained on Friday.

They look sweet!!! Driver grind? What do the markings mean? 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

32 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

They look sweet!!! Driver grind? What do the markings mean? 

Yea, driver grind. The markings are my kids' initials and Roman Numerals for the loft.

Bill

My Swing Thread

20 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea, driver grind. The markings are my kids' initials and Roman Numerals for the loft.

Cool.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!