IGNORED

How did you fix your slice?

lostmyballs
Note: This thread is 2500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't usually slice. When I over swing, I revert back to my baseball/softball days as a pull hitter and come over the top. The key is to swing inside out. You'll have to set up one of several "drill stations" on the range using a few tees, a head cover a shaft what ever. The first thing is to get the ball started to the RIGHT. Then start concentrating on your swing and club to get the ball to move left as a draw. I saw where someone said the aim down the left cause their slice was so big... all that does, opening up, is make it worse. Take a lesson, money well spent. You'll be hitting consistent draws in two years and longer drives in no time.

• 1 year later...

My hatred of the slice is almost pathological. :) I was working in front of the mirror just now in trying to take the club away more underneath, flatten out the path through the ball and rotate the lower body through the shot more as if trying to throw myself into a stuck position. The problem is that it feels like the shot will be a block.

Edited by TryingtoPlay

On 5/24/2012 at 11:54 AM, lostmyballs said:

I've heard it said that 90% of all golfers struggle with a slice at some point in their golfing careers.

My question is, when that time came for you, how did you deal with it? What advice would you give to a younger version of yourself when that slice first surfaced?

For me this is something I continue to work on.  For me what works is making as big of a turn on my backswing as I can and thinking "slam my hands down" at the start of my downswing.  Of course all that is to keep me from going over the top.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How did I fix my slice, or should I say, how am I attempting to fix it. Needless to say, the DRIVE exaggerates the slice more than any other shot. Here are 3 tips

1) If your right footed, place the right foot half a foots length back from your left foot

2) Turn the club face in  about an inch

3) Ensure you use your hips.

We human beings naturally swing from out to in, and overcoming that movement is easier said than done

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

• 8 months later...

So I played about 20 rounds without a slice  then suddenly out of no where I have this awful slice to OB  My opponent  in league play ribs me about it.   

The only explanation is that just prior to driving I had this tough left to right putt been having difficulty making and taking the widest path imaginable I cut the ball rather than pushing the ball and this thinking infected my drive  on the next shot

12 minutes ago, dchoye said:

So I played about 20 rounds without a slice  then suddenly out of no where I have this awful slice to OB  My opponent  in league play ribs me about it.   

The only explanation is that just prior to driving I had this tough left to right putt been having difficulty making and taking the widest path imaginable I cut the ball rather than pushing the ball and this thinking infected my drive  on the next shot

Is this really possible? Cutting a putt that is. 

I tend to draw or hook the ball, but every once in a while I will hit a push fade (rarely a full on slice). I have some wrist troubles so I usually figure I just didn't grip the club the way I normally do or I cupped my wrist or something. Keeping a flatter left throughout my swing has really helped me eliminate slices for the most part.

13 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Is this really possible? Cutting a putt that is. 

I tend to draw or hook the ball, but every once in a while I will hit a push fade (rarely a full on slice). I have some wrist troubles so I usually figure I just didn't grip the club the way I normally do or I cupped my wrist or something. Keeping a flatter left throughout my swing has really helped me eliminate slices for the most part.

Look at Billy Mayfair putting stroke on youtube.

There's no doubt that is a cutting motion  

Weather or not the ball actually has cutspin is matter of debate 

But in my mind I trying to cut the ball by deliberately opening up the face at impact   No a good thing to do with a flat stick of any kind weather it be a driver or putter

I embrased it ! When i need to hit it left to rigth i just know how to do it with my normal slice.

Then i learned to hit it rigth to left  when my slice don´t fit the shoot/hole.

Honestly, coming across the ball flight laws and being able to self-diagnose. After that, it was playing around with wrist conditions, and seeing on video how those wrist conditions produced face angles on the backswing and downswing. 

I saw my strong grip was getting really cuppy at the top, but then never un-cupped on the way down so my face never really closed back. Geroge Gankas pointed this out on his FB page, and I've since gone to a weaker grip that actually gets my wrists into a great position coming down.

On 5/24/2012 at 2:54 PM, lostmyballs said:

I've heard it said that 90% of all golfers struggle with a slice at some point in their golfing careers.

My question is, when that time came for you, how did you deal with it? What advice would you give to a younger version of yourself when that slice first surfaced?

I haven't completely alleviated it but it was reeeeaaallly bad when I first started. My issue was simply coming off the ball if I'm going to use baseball terms my front shoulder was flying open probably due to over swinging I just really focused on staying closed through contact and trying to hit down to the ball instead of picking it off the tee. A slower back swing helped me a lot too but everyone is different so who knows. 

Few things I learnt as I overcame the slice phase.

• Invest time in understanding swing mechanics and what results in the ball trajectory. Tons of videos talk about this, tough to isolate the good ones in youtube - but try.
  • Dont waste too many range sessions repeating same swing and expecting different results. Read books, ask instructors and try specific fixes to specific swing flaws.
  • Usually its because the arms are first to take off and body is last. Reverse the order.
  • Take high FPS videos on your smart phones (with a tripod) and analyze them and compare with videos of the pros. You are bound to find your faults. Do this to save a ton of $ that instructors charge. This is easier for high handicappers, tough without instructors as your game improves.

I had a damn fine left hander slice. Never saw much of the right side of any fairway. But did start to recognize most of the OB's trees and animals on the left. Kept reading and trying one different thing at a time until: changed to a more neutral grip-flattened my swing-(I was swinging over the top. both of those things started to show significant less right to left curve) ,used what I think is a more closed stance to target line-more neutral face to target line-(Both of these things go against what I think is correct. Stance is not closed and face is probably not open) pick an actual target for the line which is as high as I can find. (tree, building, cloud, whatever-) I was previously aiming at the entire golf course, lol

The last two rounds, I have missed maybe 3 fairways. Misses are only a couple of feet in the first cut. Ball flies much further and toward the target.

My wife kept telling me I was lined up to the right. I was creating a much larger slice. I couldn't see or feel that. 

I'm using the same setup for wood, hybrid and long iron. Seeing similar improving results.

My eyes play tricks on me

I'm sure there's loads of good advice in here already. All I can add is my own experience. And that is my hands position halfway back. You remember the Mike Wier waggle? I do the same, but I did it before him so he can kiss my ass. Even though we're both lefties, and he has more money. He can kiss my ass anyway.

So when I'm slicing, my hands are too open at that particular midway point. When I'm hooking, they're too closed. It's that simple for me, outside of grip. But that's another discussion. So do the Mike Wier (Weir?) thing and check your hands. That's my advice.

"Witty golf quote."

Okay, for me a, right hand golfer with a flying left elbow, keep the left upper arm against the chest longer, helped to get a in to out swing and a draw.

Now I'm able to hit pull hooks all day long.

Hope that helps.

Edited by bste
spelling

Brian   

Note: This thread is 2500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!