IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The marquee group has been a great illustration of course management on both ends of the spectrum.  Phil/Bubba have mostly been out of position on nearly every shot of every hole.  Tiger has mostly been in perfect position on every shot of every hole (save his putting positions after short-iron approaches).

While it's mostly execution, I find it interesting that the club selection is so different, and with drastically different results from what you would expect at times.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

does zhang in the open at 14 guarantee a career or can he fizzle out just as easily? could tiger have played bogie golf in the us open at 14?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

does zhang in the open at 14 guarantee a career or can he fizzle out just as easily? could tiger have played bogie golf in the us open at 14?

Tiger tried to qualify when he was 15 and didn't make it. So it's just way too soon to say anything this kid does, except for it's just an experience for him, that's it.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Nice to finally see the leader, Jason Bohn.  Roll Tide!

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by bwdial

Nice to finally see the leader, Jason Bohn.  Roll Tide!

The guy started on 1 too.  Great round so far.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

tiger could easily be 2 or 3 under...maybe even 4 under with how he has been hitting the ball.  greens look very firm.  not much spinning back of the ball.

Colin P.

On #4 with it's narrow fairway, Woods too an iron off the tee and even Phil went conservative off the tee with a hybrid, but Bubba still took out the driver. Walking off the teebox, Phil was laughing to himself about Bubba. I bet Bubba reminded him of a younger version of himself. It wasn't that long ago that Phil make those kinds of gambling decisions himself. How long ago was, it, 6, maybe 7 holes? :-D

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• Administrator
On #4 with it's narrow fairway, Woods too an iron off the tee and even Phil went conservative off the tee with a hybrid, but Bubba still took out the driver. Walking off the teebox, Phil was laughing to himself about Bubba. I bet Bubba reminded him of a younger version of himself. It wasn't that long ago that Phil make those kinds of gambling decisions himself. How long ago was, it, 6, maybe 7 holes? :-D

Well, it's speculation that's what Phil was laughing about, but reasonable speculation I'd say. And it's what the announcers said, too. I think Bubba just figures "screw it" at this point. It's too early to say "screw it" in the U.S. Open though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Course set-up notes for today

COURSE SETUP: ROUND ONE OF THE 2012 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

The following are details on the course setup for Round 1 of the 2012 U.S. Open at The Olympic Club, from Mike Davis, USGA Executive Director.

Weather Forecast for Thursday (provide by Greg Quinn and Jake Swick with Thor Guard Weather) – L ow clouds will burn off slightly faster today with partly sunny skies anticipated by lunchtime.  Expect more mostly sunny skies this afternoon as well with temperatures finally getting back toward 60 degrees. The wind will be similar to yesterday. Less wind, more sunshine and warmer temperatures are in the forecast for Friday and Saturday. For those days, it is predicted to come out the west – southwest and will pick up in the afternoon to 10-20 mph.

Green Speeds – This morning’s green speeds averaged 13 feet on the USGA Stimpmeter immediately after the cut and roll. They will likely settle out in the mid 12s by midday.

Water Management – Several greens were hand-watered this morning based on firmness and moisture readings. The drive zone on the 4th fairway and the closely mown areas at holes 13 and 17 were also watered this morning.

Total Course Yardage for Thursday (tee marker settings to flagstick) = 3,506 yards out; 3,585 yards in = 7,091 total yards

Hole-by-Hole Information

Hole 1 – 509 yards; hole location is back right. The predicted southwesterly wind will assist tee shots but push approach shots to the right.

Hole 2 – 426 yards; hole location is front left. Putts coming down the hill will be quicker than normal due to the predicted wind.

Hole 3 – 228 yards; tee markers placed on penultimate teeing ground with the hole location in back-right lobe; wind will be pushing balls to the right on this hole.

Hole 4 – 434 yards; hole location is in the front left; wind out of southwest will make tee shots more challenging.

Hole 5 –  501 yards; hole location is back right; southwesterly wind will make approach shots tough since green slopes back right to front left.

Hole 6 – 485 yards; predicted wind direction will push tee shots towards drive zone bunker; hole location placed in front left making putts coming down the slope faster than normal.

Hole 7 – 256 yards; tee markers placed on back of the penultimate teeing ground; hole should play into the wind; hole location placed in front left of green making a miss to the left of the green a difficult recovery.

Hole 8 –  213 yards; hole location placed in far back left of the green; with predicted right-to-left wind the hole will play a bit longer but will assist in getting to the back-left quadrant.

Hole 9 – 454 yards; hole location back right; the predicted right-to-left wind will make approach shots more challenging.

Hole 10 – 432 yards; hole location back right; the southwesterly wind will assist players in shaping their tee shots around the bend; putts from the middle of the green (which falls away front to back) to the back hole location will be faster than normal with the predicted wind.

Hole 11 – 433 yards; the hole location is placed in the back-right portion above the tier separating the front and back portions of the green.

Hole 12 – 445 yards; hole location is placed in the front-left portion of the green; the hole should play with a slightly helping left to right wind.

Hole 13 – 194 yards; tee markers placed on the penultimate teeing ground given the predicted right to left wind conditions; hole location is placed the back-left side of the green near the fall-off.

Hole 14 – 408 yards; hole location placed in the front-left portion; the putts from the center of the green will be very fast to this front location.

Hole 15 – 150 yards; hole location placed in the center right; this hole, while short, could become more challenging with the predicted right to left wind.

Hole 16 – 660 yards; tee markers on the back teeing ground; hole location in the front-right portion of the green.

Hole 17 – 514 yards; tee markers placed on the penultimate teeing ground; this tee sits players’ left and is a more challenging angle; hole location placed in the back tier of the green.

Hole 18 – 349 yards; hole location placed in the far, back left of the putting green.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Bubba was criticizing the course before the tournament even started, so that didn't help. Now he's just playing stupid. With the length and shaping ability he has with his irons, he should be thinking his way around the course like Tiger is.

Bubba's driver off the deck on the long par 5 is fair indication of the quality of his golfing brain. First 9 and he can't make course management decisions a beginner would make. He'll be able to leave on Friday,saying he's going back to his boy, which is better than any trophy and the golfing world can again celebrate how his priorities are in order.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

As far as I can tell, Tiger has taken less club off of every non-par-3 than both Phil and Bubba. I didn't tune in until the group was on their 4th hole, but I don't think I have seen Woods take out a driver yet.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Is anyone else having issues with the android app?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by walk18

Bubba was criticizing the course before the tournament even started, so that didn't help. Now he's just playing stupid. With the length and shaping ability he has with his irons, he should be thinking his way around the course like Tiger is.

Lot of natural talent, but not the brightest bulb on the planet.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Originally Posted by walk18

Then he has zero chance of winning. That was Jack's rationale - he would mentally disqualify any player that complained about conditions.

And given that Bubba is +8 thru 16...well, there you go.

Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!