IGNORED

Playing 9 or 18 by yourself.

formula428
Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Go golfing (9 or 18) by yourself?

• Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    • It's a little lousy, wait until you get another or several before going to a course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It's one thing if the course "squeezed" that single in, but if he happened to walk on when the course had a cancellation and there was no one else to pair him with, then he has the right to play alone in that tee spot if he so desires.  It won't slow down the flow as much as a fourball would in the same slot, and no course I've ever played is going to refuse a green fee just to keep a single off the course.  It would be different if they had squeezed him in where no starting time existed.

Who said anything about his "rights", I'm just talking about relief of congestion.

I agree with that (except the thing about the single vs fourball - if the entire course is squeezing, then it's still just the matter of 20 groups on the course vs 19 groups, no matter how big - since the 'initial' cause of the squeeze is likely a slow group that finished already).  BUT.....even in your open single tee spot scenario, the flow can start to squeeze anyway.  and if that single is coming up to a double that squeeze can still be relieved by combining into a single group - again 20 groups on a 18 hole course vs 19....

yes, he has the option to stay single (and the twosome a two some) but for the sake of keeping people from jamming up just a bit less, the 'smart' thing, considerate thing, would be to combine.  Not really is issue in places where people are open and friendly.  But it takes all kinds, I suppose.

as far as the course squeezing in 21 groups in a field that is already overfull with 20 (I'm just using 20 as an example)......that's bad management and not related to my point.  but it's a good comment

I did make the stipulation that there was nobody else to pair him with.  If the group in front of him was short, then that stipulation would not be valid.

That's when it's time to consider playing as 5, especially if there is a group behind the single. 5 can play faster than 4 and a single waiting on them to finish a hole.

Most courses don't allow that.  Not only because of pace of play, but because it looks bad, makes other groups complain, and sets a precedent that they don't want to see.  My home course will at times allow a 5 some to go out, but they have to agree up front to keep pace, and they all have to ride (3 carts).  And the ranger will keep an eye on them - any deviation and someone has to drop out.

I've done it during busy times, and even though we kept up on pace with no problem, the two groups behind us both made a point of complaining about the "slow" fivesome in front of them.  I played once as a five on a slow weekday and we finished in 3:55, even after catching a walking threesome on 16 and having to wait on them.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually missed this post before, why do you think that you have to be slow to be able to deal with playing behind "traffic". I take the opportunity to look for free golf balls or play more than one shot to practice. I don't see a round of golf as a race that I have to get done as quickly as possible *unless I'm playing an all you can golf type scenario*.

I don't see it as a race either, but when I'm constantly starting and stopping, it greatly affects my rhythm which affects my game.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

I did make the stipulation that there was nobody else to pair him with.  If the group in front of him was short, then that stipulation would not be valid.

oh, then we're on the same page.  no issues here

Bill - 

I don't see it as a race either, but when I'm constantly starting and stopping, it greatly affects my rhythm which affects my game.

I understand that, if I'm playing at a fast pace and suddenly have to slow down it will cause me issues. However, if I start off and it's slow right off then it won't bother me. Also, I'm hoping to be able to play in some competitive tournaments at some point and sometimes those can be a bit slower than a casual round will be so I want to be able to handle playing at different paces without it having a lot of effect on my performance.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Most courses don't allow that.  Not only because of pace of play, but because it looks bad, makes other groups complain, and sets a precedent that they don't want to see.  My home course will at times allow a 5 some to go out, but they have to agree up front to keep pace, and they all have to ride (3 carts).  And the ranger will keep an eye on them - any deviation and someone has to drop out.

Yeah I'm not talking about starting a 5 just that if a single catches a full group and has nothing to do but wait between them and the trailing group they should consider combining at whatever that point is. Otherwise you will have 3 different tee times playing the same hole, one waiting on the tee, a single in the fairway waiting and the group ahead finishing around the green. When it happens the trail group is waiting on 5 golfers anyway and one isn't playing at the same pace as the group ahead.

I see it from time to time and don't have an issue with it because I realize why it happened. Where I play it can be tough to tell how many are in the group ahead without a head count. A foursome could be four members in four carts. They may have started at different times, I can never tell.

We get little clusters of backups as slow groups become hard to get around. I book right when I leave work in the afternoon and see there are 4-5 empty times spaced 9-11 minutes apart before what I book and catch slow golfers just a few holes out.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yeah I'm not talking about starting a 5 just that if a single catches a full group and has nothing to do but wait between them and the trailing group they should consider combining at whatever that point is. Otherwise you will have 3 different tee times playing the same hole, one waiting on the tee, a single in the fairway waiting and the group ahead finishing around the green. When it happens the trail group is waiting on 5 golfers anyway and one isn't playing at the same pace as the group ahead.

I see it from time to time and don't have an issue with it because I realize why it happened. Where I play it can be tough to tell how many are in the group ahead without a head count. A foursome could be four members in four carts. They may have started at different times, I can never tell.

We get little clusters of backups as slow groups become hard to get around. I book right when I leave work in the afternoon and see there are 4-5 empty times spaced 9-11 minutes apart before what I book and catch slow golfers just a few holes out.

I'm in sympathy with that view, but the one time we did it we were told two holes later that it wasn't allowed, and it made no difference that we were keeping up just fine after the single joined us.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Playing practice rounds as a single on an almost empty course is delightful.  And good for your game.

In traffic it's not so much fun and I'd rather be paired up with someone.  Oh, and I despise playing behind fivesomes.  The fivesome is to golf as a menage a trois is to sex.

It happens, and it sucks. Happened to me this past weekend where I ended up behind a foursome, and basically just had to play as slow as I could and still wait between holes. There was never anyone behind me and I could never tell if there was anyone in front of them.

At times like these I take advantage of Rule 7-2.

7-2. During Round

A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,

b. any practice putting green, or

c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).

So I would just keep an eye on the group ahead and watch behind me so I'll know if a group has caught up to me.  So long as there is no one behind me I would just get in some short game practice on the green of the hole I just completed while waiting for the group ahead to clear the next green.  Then go play the hole and repeat.

And since the rules allow this limited type of practice, the round is still OK for posting.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

100% right on both points.

One of my favorite courses will grant us 5-some privileges on occasion when we unexpectedly end up with another player, or if we had 2 times booked and a couple dropped out.  But they know our group, and the onus is on us to maintain pace.  We take that responsibility very seriously because we understand what a privilege that is and never assume that it will be granted.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

What does "practice stroke" mean?

Stroke

A “ stroke ’’ is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke .

A "practice stroke" is a "stroke" intended for, well, practice.  In other words, actually hitting another ball.  A practice swing in preparation for your stroke is not a practice stroke because you have no intent to hit the ball.  As a aside, it's also why, if you inadvertently hit your ball during a practice swing, the ball is replaced under penalty of one stroke, as opposed to playing it where it now lies.....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

[URL=]Stroke[/URL]

A “ [URL=http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Definitions/#Stroke][U][COLOR=0066CC]stroke[/COLOR][/U][/URL] ’’ is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a [URL=http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Definitions/#Stroke][U][COLOR=0066CC]stroke[/COLOR][/U][/URL] . A "practice stroke" is a "stroke" intended for, well, practice.  In other words, actually hitting another ball.  A practice swing in preparation for your stroke is not a practice stroke because you have no intent to hit the ball.  As a aside, it's also why, if you inadvertently hit your ball during a practice swing, the ball is replaced under penalty of one stroke, as opposed to playing it where it now lies.....

Thanks brah, that's kind of what I figured, but better to be sure than guess...

Colin P.

I don't usually pre-arrange a tee time anymore. When I want to play, I just show up at the counter, at some course, and ask if they can get a single out. 99% of the time they send me out. Sometimes I play alone, and other times I am placed with a twosome, or threesome. Today I played 9 holes by myself. I even got a little "Two Ball" in since the course was empty. 110* heat does that sometimes. Alone, or with someone else, even if I don't know them, it matters little.  I am not embarrassed with the state of my game. I have even been able to play on some very nice private courses just by showing up and asking. Pretty sure it's poor economy that persuades golf courses to be a little more user friendly now a days.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think its absolutely ok to golf alone. In fact, I went out today and there was nobody playing on the course, and I played 18 alone. It was so peaceful and I could practice any shot I wanted!! Most holes I played 2 balls just to see how consistent I was hitting the ball.

- Jason

"When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment or the moment defines you."

I've played five of the last six days.   Three of those days I played by myself.    Two of those days I was the first person on the golf course and it was great.   I don't hesitate to play by myself.   If it's early and I'm not waiting on other golfers, I can play at my own pace.   If it's crowded and I'm waiting, I usually play two balls on my approach shot.    Golfnow has allowed me to play more often and at different courses this year.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I routinely play alone, but if the course staff asks me if I would pair up with another single or group, I will gladly say yes. As for playing through, I generally don't play through unless the group in front of me is very adamant that I do. I have no problem waiting when I'm playing alone. I played yesterday alone, and breezed through the front 9 in a little over an hour and then caught up with a group by hole 11. But the wait wasn't too long, and seeing that I had no one behind me, when I was asked if I wanted to play through, I politely declined.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

• 1 month later...

I've played a few times by myself and loved it. No stress...can hit a couple of balls and try things out. Of coarse using my first ball as my scorecard ball.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Golf is like sex, its ok to do it by yourself but its sooooo much more fun with people :banana:

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!