IGNORED

MJ banned from Miami Club for Cargo Shorts

RonTheSavage
Note: This thread is 4153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Back to MJ though... Why does he button his golf shirt to the brim - then wear black cargo shorts with a white belt?

Button to the brim is more of a formal preppy look - which doesn't bode well with cargo shorts.  Then to cap it off with a white belt?  LOL

Fashion Police please chime in.

That lady creeps me out so I deleted her from my reponse.

My opinion is that the belt works in tandem with the hat and shoes.  I will wear a similar (yet non-cargo style) getup from time to time.  If I go black shoes, I'll also go black hat and belt.

I have no answer for the shirt button though.  I don't care for that look.

Heck, since we're talking about it, I think I just decided on my Dec. 16th wardrobe!  I recently received a shirt of almost that exact color. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree that at 6' 6" you would expect him to be an athlete, but MJ is an icon, not just a ex-professional athlete.  I would think any club would be pretty pleased to have someone with his fame on their course, even in cargo shorts.  His shorts are long, but his overall appearance is neat, his golf shirt is tucked in.

I support the clubs right to enforce their rules, just shocked that they would risk the bad press by enforcing them on MJ.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

First, how many 6'6" guys are regularly playing golf? And when you see a 6'6" guy (or larger) playing golf - especially if they are physical specimen - I'm asking my buddies what professional athlete that is.  I find it hard to believe they didn't know who he was. Especially as recognizable as MJ is.

Second, I'm guessing they were probably just being a hard ass (whomever bitched about it)... And the club decided basically it prevents the upset paying members from going, 'Hey - why does this guy get to bend the rules - and not me or my guest?' kind of thing from getting out.

Joe Paradiso

Back to MJ though... Why does he button his golf shirt to the brim - then wear black cargo shorts with a white belt?  :doh:    Button to the brim is more of a formal preppy look - which doesn't bode well with cargo shorts.  Then to cap it off with a white belt?  LOL Fashion Police please chime in...  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/63524/] [/URL]

All of his accessories (hat, belt, shoes) are the same color....white. I see no issue with that. His white belt is fine. However, being a millionaire athlete with ties to Nike, he should be wearing a much nicer golf outfit. I hate those baggy black cargo shorts.

If those are the rules, they should have been enforced by whoever was checking the group in, or the starter.  He wasn't told until he was 2/3 done with his round.  Whenever I've seen people who weren't in compliance with the dress code, they were always corrected before they stepped on the course.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by ace3g

This is why I'll never go pro, you can't wear shorts.  Even if it is cold outside, I'll just wear a long sleeve shirt under my golf shirt.  I can never play sports in pants.

Me, too!!  I swear I would turn pro tomorrow morning if they would let me wear shorts.

I personally think the "no cargo shorts" rule is a stupid rule - but I guess it's the clubs right to have whatever rules they want.

BUT - I also think it's lame to expect somebody to come in from the 12th hole to change thier clothes.  Was there no starter?  Did MJ not pass by or talk to any club employee before teeing off?  I would think it would be way more reasonable to just let him know the rule and tell him to follow it from now on.  It seems pretty unreasonable to ban somebody from the course over cargo shorts.  Those pockets come in handy!

I am pretty sure you could play shirtless at the courses I play at . . .so this is all way above my paygrade, anyway.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

If those are the rules, they should have been enforced by whoever was checking the group in, or the starter.  He wasn't told until he was 2/3 done with his round.  Whenever I've seen people who weren't in compliance with the dress code, they were always corrected before they stepped on the course.

I agree with this...once they let him get to #12, just let him finish and tell him about the rule for next time.

MJ might not be as recognizable now, but when he played the course in L.A. where my dad is a member, he had a number of kids chase him down for an autograph...being in L.A. a lot of celebs have played there and I have never seen any of them asked for an autograph- only MJ.

Did hear of an interesting dress code issue there one time though.  Shortly after Ian Baker Finch won the Open in 1991 he showed up wearing jeans with 1990 PGA Champ Wayne Grady to meet a member who was just finishing up his round.  This member ALWAYS wore jeans (which were allowed at the time on the course, but not in the club house after 6 pm).  They explained to the receptionist that they could GUARANTEE that their host was wearing jeans also, but she still turned them away.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the problem with cargo shorts? They've got another pair of pockets, right? So is that the fashion faux pas? If the extra pockets weren't there, they'd be okay?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the problem with cargo shorts? They've got another pair of pockets, right? So is that the fashion faux pas? If the extra pockets weren't there, they'd be okay?

That's pretty much the gist of it.  Kinda silly, I agree, but from what I gather, it's not an uncommon rule among country clubs.  I guess with the extra pockets and bagginess, they can look a little sloppy, but, eh, whatever.

I don't think it's the look as much as the why thing. Being at a club does't really require duds that can stash things. He should have paid the trail fee for whatever was pocketed.

Dave :-)

And people wonder why golf isn't attracting the younger generation.. Maybe because the rules are so damn OLD, it's sadistic and pathetic.. The good ole boys are going to kill this industry.. Time for them to wake up.. Leagues are drying up, less and less rounds played each year, more course closings.. I can understand dress codes for work, and safety issues.. but it drives me nuts when places have them just to be anal, like country clubs and restaurants..

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by ThominOH

And people wonder why golf isn't attracting the younger generation.. Maybe because the rules are so damn OLD, it's sadistic and pathetic.. The good ole boys are going to kill this industry.. Time for them to wake up.. Leagues are drying up, less and less rounds played each year, more course closings.. I can understand dress codes for work, and safety issues.. but it drives me nuts when places have them just to be anal, like country clubs and restaurants..

When you go out to a "nice" restaurant, not a fast-food joint, what do you wear?  Do you think a dirty T-shirt and baggy jeans are suitable? If so, would you be surprised that other patrons might be a little upset, and might complain to the restaurant manager? Maybe you wouldn't care.  But lots of folks still think that dress codes matter.

But then, maybe that's a sadistic opinion.

I have no problem with cargo shorts, but if a club has a dress code, it should apply to everyone. My problem is the way it was handled. Someone should have told him, in a very courteous way, before the round, that cargo shorts did not meet the dress code. If that was not done, he should have been told after the round.

A warning perhaps, but to ban him sounds a bit harsh. I wouldn't be too happy about having to return to the clubhouse to change pants in the middle of a round.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I think the entire argument is stupid.  I've seen a lot of non-cargo shorts that are certainly more objectionable than most cargo shorts I see on the course.  I play in cargo shorts most of the time and have never, even at my club, been told I can't ware them.  I do have other shorts but like the extra pockets.

Butch

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Zeph

A warning perhaps, but to ban him sounds a bit harsh. I wouldn't be too happy about having to return to the clubhouse to change pants in the middle of a round.

For all we know they didn't like the loud parties or all of the cigar smoking he did afterwards, and the dress code thing was a means to an end.

I once had to wait half a year for an incompetent co-worker to be fired not because he was completely incompetent but because he was more than 15 minutes late three times in a three month period. :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by notsohard

should have pulled him up before the 1st tee.

the clubs fault, so let him finish, explain it after his round...done.

+1

Someone should have informed his host so his host could handle it before the round.  Once the group is off, the deal is done.

I was thinking the same thing, it had to be more than just cargo shorts.  Maybe he plays in a large loud group or causes a gallery to form when he plays that has caused issues with the other members in the past.

It just doesn't make sense that they'd wait to the 12th hole to tell him to change, knowing that he and most would decline to stop in the middle of their round to go to the locker room and change (assuming he even had something to change into).

Originally Posted by iacas

For all we know they didn't like the loud parties or all of the cigar smoking he did afterwards, and the dress code thing was a means to an end.

I once had to wait half a year for an incompetent co-worker to be fired not because he was completely incompetent but because he was more than 15 minutes late three times in a three month period. :P

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!