Jump to content
hansmixer

Is Walking Better Than Using a Golf Cart?

145 posts / 21402 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

During cool morning rounds I love to walk; I don't know why but I seem to slower and smoother when walking. I tend to ride when the temp. gets closer to the mid-90's and above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can play a round in 90 minutes by myself in a cart. So obviously it's not slower... under certain conditions. Sometimes those conditions are:

90 minutes? That is 5 minutes per hole. Are you sprinting to each ball and running up to the green and just knocking the ball around till it goes in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

90 minutes? That is 5 minutes per hole. Are you sprinting to each ball and running up to the green and just knocking the ball around till it goes in?

I've shot 74 or 76 or so on playing that way, full rules of golf, so no I'm not just knocking the ball around till it goes in.

Do the math. My pre-shot routine takes about 25 seconds from when I pull the club to when the ball is hit. Figure a full minute or so per shot with a little walking (which more than offsets the 2-seconds it takes for tap-ins, etc.). That's 75 minutes, with 15 minutes left over just for driving the cart around. That's 90 minutes from a cart , you realize, right? Or did you miss that part? P.S. When I was younger, I played 18 holes walking and carrying my bag in about 90 minutes... but not at Whispering Woods. Good luck walking 18 holes there in 90 minutes... without playing golf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I prefer to walk, but am not an anti-cart guy. On vacation or at some of the nicer courses I like to ride. It's more relaxing.

Definitely, I'm heading out to Florida in the fall and I don't plan on walking much. I enjoy walking, and I believe it makes for a more serious round but if I'm out with friends who don't treat each round as if its the final round at Augusta then I'll ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started playing a year and a half ago. I recently moved to a new city so I often play alone since I haven't met many other golfers yet. A few months ago, I was paired with two players who were both walking and I was riding... Ever since I have wondered whether walking would be more enjoyable.

The pace of play was slow that day, and while I was impatiently waiting for the people ahead of me to clear before I could hit my ball, they were patiently walking to their ball contemplating their next shot. I noticed that on some holes they even got to the next tee faster as they could just walk in a straight path from the green to the tee and I had to drive all the way around on a winding cart path. So overall they were pretty much just as fast. (Also, just a note, they were both very good players.)

I also sometimes get annoyed (especially on par 3's) when I grab a club and walk over to my ball and then realize I have the entirely wrong club and have to walk bag to the cart. It's not that big of a deal but it definitely kills my rhythm a bit!

I am not overweight at all and I could actually probably stand to keep the extra calories that I might burn while walking. However, I just wonder if I might enjoy the game more if I walk instead of ride. I already love the game as it is, but I might just buy a stand bag or push cart and try walking after reading this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends. I prefer to walk as I feel that allows me to "experience," the course more. I ride when I am fatigued or with certain friends. Mt home course is long with a lot of yardage in between holes so riding speeds that up. But in general it does not necessarily speed up play. When there are 20+ cappers they tend to drive and look for ball A for awhile before moving on to ball B. So it takes longer than had they each walked to their own ball. In general though I think it absolutely depends on thr course and the players. 

 

PS - as a caddie, I prefer double bag walking over a cart, even though it's more physically demanding on me. Anecdotally, it seems guys take a long time when riding. They get to the ball and just take their time, usually talking or thinking. Too much.   The worst days are cart path only and the guys still take a cart. That makes for a lot of running to get/change clubs. 

Edited by JKolya
Added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the weather is comfortable and the humidity is low I prefer to walk. If the weather is hot and humid I prefer to use a cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2007‎ ‎9‎:‎44‎:‎15‎, scotton said:


 but if you are under 60 and want to lose a few pounds (and maybe improve your golf) give walking a shot.

Ahem!!  I'm 65 (66 in a few weeks) and walk every round unless I'm forced to ride.  I only rode once this year at a resort course late in the season when other courses had closed.  They required I ride.

Since I started golf again after 20 yrs, due to a back injury, I lost 25 lbs. this summer by walking on the golf course.  Most courses are between 10 and 12 kilometers.  Walking 10-12 kilometers 5-7 days a week will do wonders for your health.

Others have different reasons for golf than I, all legitimate.  However, if health is one of the reasons, by all means, walk.

Later,

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JBailey said:

Ahem!!  I'm 65 (66 in a few weeks) and walk every round unless I'm forced to ride.  I only rode once this year at a resort course late in the season when other courses had closed.  They required I ride.

Since I started golf again after 20 yrs, due to a back injury, I lost 25 lbs. this summer by walking on the golf course.  Most courses are between 10 and 12 kilometers.  Walking 10-12 kilometers 5-7 days a week will do wonders for your health.

Others have different reasons for golf than I, all legitimate.  However, if health is one of the reasons, by all means, walk.

Later,

John

I am with you there, John. I love to run and hope to continue to keep walking for many years, since I am closing in on 62. My membership doesnt include the cart anyway.  However, if friends want to ride, I may go along with them, but walking is always my preferred. If I am playing alone, I usually run to furthest tee boxes to add more exercise into the mix (my version of speed golf.. hehe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, JBailey said:

Ahem!!  I'm 65 (66 in a few weeks) and walk every round unless I'm forced to ride. 

Every now and then I get to play 9 holes with an 84 year old and he prefers to walk it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Walking is better health wise (and better on the pocket). You can walk most courses in the UK (as far as im aware) partly due to the crap weather :-P

My wifes uncle lives in Dubai and you have to use a cart there as they had people collapse with the heat,

Ive used a cart once and didnt like it. May have been down to my brother-in-law being a terrible driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I prefer to walk as well, definitely better for your health and your pocketbook.  

On 7/21/2007, 12:03:35, iacas said:

I've shot 74 or 76 or so on playing that way, full rules of golf, so no I'm not just knocking the ball around till it goes in.

Do the math. My pre-shot routine takes about 25 seconds from when I pull the club to when the ball is hit. Figure a full minute or so per shot with a little walking (which more than offsets the 2-seconds it takes for tap-ins, etc.). That's 75 minutes, with 15 minutes left over just for driving the cart around. That's 90 minutes from a cart , you realize, right? Or did you miss that part? P.S. When I was younger, I played 18 holes walking and carrying my bag in about 90 minutes... but not at Whispering Woods. Good luck walking 18 holes there in 90 minutes... without playing golf.

I'm with IACAS,  averaging 5 minutes a hole with a cart is not that difficult (I can do that on our front 9 walking), as long as there is no one in front of you.  I take no practice swings, and if you hit the ball in play and you're not looking for balls, 45 minutes with a cart for 9 is just about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Forget all the health stuff, golf is just a better game for the player when walked, period.

You can't even get a cart (buggy) in Ireland or Scotland without a doctors note, it's that lame to use one there,

I think carts cause slow play, not the only cause, but a big one, walk the course and be happy.

Edited by MrDC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a great deal on a nice push cart from a guy at work. So now i prefer to walk. I too can play 18 from a cart in 2 hours but honestly paying the extra $20 to ride just doesn't seem worth it to me unless I am with friends or can only play during the time that it's carts only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm another one who prefers to walk, whenever course rules, course design, and weather conditions make it reasonable.  I believe its better, mentally, to have the time walking up to your ball evaluating the conditions and working through your options.  When you get to the ball, if you've done it right, you should be just about right to pull the club and swing.  If you pace distances from yardage markers, you won't even need GPS or laser range-finders.  Riding, you zoom to the ball, THEN start to figure out your yardage, the wind, the terrain, etc.  If everyone is walking, you're better able to interact with all of the players, instead of only with your cart-partner.  Of course, the health benefits are there too, but that's not why I prefer to hoof it.

@athomas625, I'd encourage you to try walking when you get a chance.  Get a reasonably light walker's bag, or a push cart (trolley to some of our UK friends), and give it a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, 9wood said:

Every now and then I get to play 9 holes with an 84 year old and he prefers to walk it

Hope someone writes that about me that way in 18 years.

Later,

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, athomas625 said:

I just started playing a year and a half ago. I recently moved to a new city so I often play alone since I haven't met many other golfers yet. A few months ago, I was paired with two players who were both walking and I was riding... Ever since I have wondered whether walking would be more enjoyable.

The pace of play was slow that day, and while I was impatiently waiting for the people ahead of me to clear before I could hit my ball, they were patiently walking to their ball contemplating their next shot. I noticed that on some holes they even got to the next tee faster as they could just walk in a straight path from the green to the tee and I had to drive all the way around on a winding cart path. So overall they were pretty much just as fast. (Also, just a note, they were both very good players.)

I also sometimes get annoyed (especially on par 3's) when I grab a club and walk over to my ball and then realize I have the entirely wrong club and have to walk bag to the cart. It's not that big of a deal but it definitely kills my rhythm a bit!

I am not overweight at all and I could actually probably stand to keep the extra calories that I might burn while walking. However, I just wonder if I might enjoy the game more if I walk instead of ride. I already love the game as it is, but I might just buy a stand bag or push cart and try walking after reading this!

Walking is healthier, and for the very reasons you listed a much more pleasant experience. I prefer walking, but as there is no discount for me to walk, I ride.

Riding has the advantage of being able to play turbo-golf. You could get a round in on a relatively empty course in a couple hours, which includes going back to the holes you might have missed. Most of my playing partners, don't like to do this while a couple do. The ones that don't seem to imply that I should just hit more balls on the driving range because that's essentially all I am doing by "rushing" my shots and such. The ones that like it are playing fast rounds. The disadvantage is so few people like to do it that you end up playing alone most of the time.

More people walk than ride at my home course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote

is walking better than using a golf cart?

That's a very ambiguous q's.

for workout (and for my game) yes. For having energy to do what you need to do after the round (e.g., work etc.) no. 

On a serious note, I prefer and actually play better when I walk. I walk almost always. Only time I ride is when the green fee includes cart or when I'm playing with a client who rides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...