IGNORED

Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win?

mp33 man
Note: This thread is 3994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agreed [with Golfingdad's last comment].  What Collins did by coming out of the closet is not just blab about something personal, but make a statement for the purpose of trying to open minds and expanding equality to everyone.  Collins' statement has a lot more in common with Rosa Parks sitting at the front of the bus than with a bible thumper trying to attribute an athletic achievement to his faith in his deity.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

It's O.K. to thank Jesus for helping him win if he also thanks Jesus for helping him miss the cut the next time he plays.

To be honest about it, he should thank Jesus for everything that happens to him, not just the good stuff.

Maybe he does . . .

The Wisguy has nailed it. Ernst's public thanking of his Lord and Saviour cannot be defended on the basis that it his personal belief, and his critics can't be accused of poking their noses into matters that are none of their business. By ignoring Feherty's question, and instead publicising his (private ...)  beliefs, he clearly hoped to exploit the large audience and drag in more Godbotherers. Otherwise, he would give his thanks privately.

And let's not lose sight of the implication of any victor thanking his or her Lord and Saviour ie. that the deity preferred his / her interests to those of the vanquished. As deluded as it is arrogant!

Next time a victor does a Streelman or an Ernst, Feherty should reply "And what of [insert name of 2nd place getter] - has God got it in for him?"

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

It's O.K. to thank Jesus for helping him win if he also thanks Jesus for helping him miss the cut the next time he plays.

To be honest about it, he should thank Jesus for everything that happens to him, not just the good stuff.

Maybe he does . . .

Maybe he's thankful just to be at the level of his profession and competing. Missing the cut isn't necessarily a "bad thing" to golfers like you and me who'd give their first born to play on the tour. (Okay - don't take that literally).

Playing the tour is what millions of golfers fantasize about. He should be thanking the Man Above for the skills to play the game.

Coming in second place in a golf tournament isn't necessarily losing - what do they take home for second or even last place?  The experience itself (of losing) might lead to wins later on.

When a microphone is thrust at a victorious player, they invariably thank someone who helped them.  It could be their family, their parents, their swing coach, their God, whatever. In their mind, this allowed them to achieve their success.

Who among us has achieved something in their life and thought "I did this all myself, nobody or no one helped me to achieve this"?  It's a rare individual who can honestly say that no one assisted him along the way.

Would the naysayers be so upset had Ernst thanked his wife/girlfriend who stood by him through the tough times? Would they be so insulted if he had thanked his UNLV golf coach for helping him believe in himself when doubts crept into his thinking? Would they criticize him for thanking his parents who drove him to his early golf tournaments?  No, they only come out when someone is thankful for finding inspiration to do his best, and/or to realize a balance in his life that has helped him.

• Upvote 4

The only thing more silly than what he said is this thread. Here is what I would say in that situation: "I would like to thank God for giving me the wisdom and cognitive resources not to thank him for winning a golf tournament." ...checkmate

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ernst was fourth alternate and ranked 1,207th in the world and won, seems like a miracle to me..

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

But it's pretty plain to see the difference between a guy showing his faith, which (other than on TST apparently) is and has been acceptable and the norm for a very long time, and the guy who was the very first publicly gay current player in the big team sports.  One happens every single week, and the other, prior to Collins, has NEVER EVER happened.

So, there is nothing "sad" about the President calling Collins and not calling Ernst.  Come on.

Yes can't compare Jason Collins and Ernst, completely different situations.

I personally have no objections with Ernst thanking God, not something I would do but it's just not a big deal to me.  I didn't see his post round interview but imo when these players thank God, I don't think they're claiming supernatural favor , rather they're just expressing their gratitude for the various opportunities they've to allow them to perform in the clutch.  Just my take.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

I personally have no objections with Ernst thanking God, not something I would do but it's just not a big deal to me.  I didn't see his post round interview but imo when these players thank God, I don't think they're claiming supernatural favor, rather they're just expressing their gratitude for the various opportunities they've had in their life.  Just my take.

Right.  I completely agree.  (I tried to also elaborate, but I literally could not say it better, so I deleted it all) :)

Agreed [with Golfingdad's last comment].  What Collins did by coming out of the closet is not just blab about something personal, but make a statement for the purpose of trying to open minds and expanding equality to everyone.  Collins' statement has a lot more in common with Rosa Parks sitting at the front of the bus than with a bible thumper trying to attribute an athletic achievement to his faith in his deity.

Yet Collins was "mostly" praised (certainly in the media), and now Ernst is being deified. Hmmmm..which one has more in common with what Rosa did? In todays society it is becoming more and more brave to "come out" and let your belief in Jesus Christ be known.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

These threads should just be deleted.this is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to start a flame war. Here is an idea, if you dont like wht a player has to say after a tournament, then stop watching golf

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Glad to hear it. Our country was founded as a Christian nation - good to hear 225+ yrs later someone still believes.

No, this country was founded on freedom of religion, with constitutionally guaranteed separation of church and state, and that still holds true more than 2 centuries later.

Personally i don't like the public displays.  All I see is that they are trying to sell their beliefs on the rest of us, like it or not.  I politely turn away Mormon and Seventh Day Adventist missionaries at the door when they come selling religion, and I surely don't need it every time I watch a sporting event.  Baseball players crossing themselves as they step up toe the plate, and then again every time they get a hit.... please!  If God doesn't care about the kids who are getting murdered in our schools, then He darn sure doesn't give a rat's behind if you managed to find the gap between first and second base.

I generally turn off golf anymore as soon as any doubt of the outcome is gone because I don't need or want the preaching.  I reserve the private right to worship in the time and place of my own choosing.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

These threads should just be deleted.this is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to start a flame war. Here is an idea, if you dont like wht a player has to say after a tournament, then stop watching golf

And yet, 45+ posts later, no flame war has broken out.

That is why threads like this can continue to exist here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No need for flame wars here, opinions can be shared without name calling.  Athletes would be best served if they kept their personal life and beliefs private.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by mp33 man

Just curious if the same people that railroaded Kevin Streelman for thanking God are pissed about Derek's comment as well? Maybe a growing trend in golf? Maybe more believers are winning?

I'm fairly certain it's not related.

Bill M

Originally Posted by TheRev

Just posted this on Facebook to someone who called Ernst an idiot for thanking God. Some perspective: Ernst was playing only his ninth PGA Tour event. He was No. 1,207 in the world ranking. He was in a car headed to Athens, Ga., to play a Web.com Tour event when he got the phone call that there was a tee time for him at Quail Hollow. Now he is the Players, the World Championships, the PGA Championship and next years Sony Open as well as the Masters and after all that he is GRATEFUL and wants to thank his Creator who gave him life to begin with and you call him an "idiot" for expressing thanks. Idiot.

I think his parents had something to do with that. Just sayin'....

Bill M

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

To each his own. It is very polarizing. However, I wonder how the Right Wing conservative crowd would react if he praised Allah after the win.

Originally Posted by jimmyc

I'm part of that crowd.

We wouldn't react at all.

I laughed. Out loud.

Bill M

phan52, please learn to multi-quote http://thesandtrap.com/a/discussion-forum-tutorial#user_replywithaquotation

Reply with a Multi-Quote

Replying with a multi-quotation allows you to respond in line to another poster and include context to your replies or to reply to multiple posters within the same reply.

1. Navigate to the posts you would like to respond to.
  2. At the bottom of each post, toward the left, you will see the Multi-Quote button with two sets of quote marks.  Click here on each of the posts you would like to quote.
  3. When you are satisfied with your selection, click the Single-Quote button on one of the posts you would like to quote.
  4. The text editor will open with the posts you have quoted.  When you are finished replying to the posts, click the "Submit Post" button at the bottom of the editor.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Glad to hear it. Our country was founded as a Christian nation - good to hear 225+ yrs later someone still believes.

No, this country was founded on freedom of religion, with constitutionally guaranteed separation of church and state, and that still holds true more than 2 centuries later.

Should have stated my position better: country was founded based on Christian values.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!