IGNORED

Keys vs. Handicap - Share Your Data!!!

Note: This thread is 2924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Key #1: Steady Head

My Score: 1

My head moves slightly throughout my swing, but I believe it's still considered steady. Plus, @mvmac has mentioned that it isn't a priority piece, so I'm pretty confident with this.

Key #2: Weight Forward

My Score: 0.75

It's definitely forward, now, but it's something I've worked on recently, so I can't say with 100% certainty that I've "mastered" it.

Key #3: Inline Impact

I don't flip. I think I've always been pretty good at this one.

Key #4: Diagonal Sweetspot Path

My Score: 0

This is where all my troubles begin. It's what I am focusing on now.

Key #5: Clubface Control

I push everything. I was going to give myself partial credit for consistency, but then I remembered that you can't play well when you set up for a push draw and hit a push fade.

Total: 2.75

I'm a 19, so either I'm an anomaly, or I have an inflated opinion of myself. I haven't played very much in the last couple of years, though, so I think that contributes to my high scores (I'm shaking off rust every round). I think even if I played just once a week, I'd solve some of the little problems (alignment, aim, touch or feel) that mess me up.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Total: 2.75

I'm a 19, so either I'm an anomaly, or I have an inflated opinion of myself. I haven't played very much in the last couple of years, though, so I think that contributes to my high scores (I'm shaking off rust every round). I think even if I played just once a week, I'd solve some of the little problems (alignment, aim, touch or feel) that mess me up.

Yeah, having looked at your swing, there's more there than just your ball striking, which appears to be good enough for you to be in the single digits or at least a 12 or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Figured, might as well fill this out too to track progress later on.

My head movement is very bad!

I think that I have good weight forward at impact while minimizing the hip movement back on the take away.

My Score: .75

I think that I can bet better at this for sure..

My Score: .25

I think I have pretty good path with my irons and even with Hybrid, but once that club gets longer I just seem to have trouble flattening out my swing and bringing the path more inline of where it should be.

I think I need work here.. more time practicing my starting lines.. I haven't got to that point yet.

So.. my score is a 2.0

Maybe I was too generous to my self with #2 & #3.. If I bring those down to .5 each then I'm closer to 1.5 and maybe that is where I probably am at this moment..  I'd probably shoot between 15 - 20.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Yeah, having looked at your swing, there's more there than just your ball striking, which appears to be good enough for you to be in the single digits or at least a 12 or so.

Thanks, that totally made my day :beer:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder how this might change if I were to watch video of myself.

My Score: 0.5

I think that I have good weight forward at impact but I have a lot of hip movement (I think).

Key #3: Flat Left Wrist

This is just a guess  -  I think I do okay here, but I don't know.

My path is diagonal... but it is dramatically outside-in.

My Score: .15

Every once in a while I shape a shot the way I want to, but mostly... I don't.  And I have no feel for this at all.

TOTAL: 1.65

My handicap (self-calculated) is about 15 right now, so my self-assessed score correlates well with Iacas' graph.

I have little to zero head movement, so I'm good there.

A problem for me is I can get my weight forward too much too early.

Good here.

I have some difficulties controlling the amount outward I swing, but over the last few weeks I've been improving steadily.

My Score: .5

My miss is a push, and it's been a real pain in my ass to fix that. Still a work in progress, but a ton improved.

Total: 3.75

My handicap hovers around the area of 6-8, so I guess I line up pretty well. IMO, my short game holds me back substantially.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• 1 month later...
I really have no idea what I am, tbh, but I'll give this a go. I think I'll ask next time I send a video into Evolvr even though we've been focusing mostly on my backswing and upper body rotation which I think I get now. Key #1: Steady Head[/b] My Score: 0.75 I have very little head movement and I think it's fairly consistent but probably doesn't always happen. Key #2: Weight Forward[/b] My Score: 0 Definitely need lots of help here as it's probably 50/50 in weight distribution. Key #3: Inline Impact My Score: 0.25 If I was better at Key #2, this might be higher but in the videos I've taken of myself, it looks like i my left wrist is straight and the shaft leans slightly forward. Key #4: Diagonal Sweetspot Path My Score: 0 Considering I am working on my backswing, my downswing is probably horrible. I don't think we're supposed to give ourselves negative numbers so giving myself the lowest one possible. Key #5: Clubface Control My score: 0 I really can see giving myself any other score here since I've not really focused on this. Total score of 1 which, if I'm reading the graph correctly, would put my handicap at 18. Considering right now my index is at 33.9, and a person that has a total score of 0 would be at 30, I'm probably inflating my numbers. That said, anyone who wants to check out my latest video in my swing thread can certainly let me know if they think my numbers are off.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 1 month later...

Figured, might as well fill this out too to track progress later on.

My head movement is very bad!

I think that I have good weight forward at impact while minimizing the hip movement back on the take away.

I think I have pretty good path with my irons and even with Hybrid, but once that club gets longer I just seem to have trouble flattening out my swing and bringing the path more inline of where it should be.

I think I need work here.. more time practicing my starting lines.. I haven't got to that point yet.

So.. my score is a 2.0

Maybe I was too generous to my self with #2 & #3.. If I bring those down to .5 each then I'm closer to 1.5 and maybe that is where I probably am at this moment..  I'd probably shoot between 15 - 20.

Remembered this thread, so I figured I would continue to update it when I feel there has been a significant change or improvement.

This has been where most of my improvement has come from really.. It has been a long road, but I feel like I am almost there.. If I can get it to .9 or .95 I think I can be happy with it.

I have a slight sway on the backswing, and probably effecting my weight forward slightly.. I tend to really lunge forward to the point that my feet will drag.. still need slight more work.

Keeping this one the same.. My swing path is not out-in anymore, but I'm still not producing the push draws that I am looking for.. Although there is a very slight draw to my flight

My Score: .0

I was probably over estimating before.. ya, I have no club face control at all.. I just aim square and somehow hope that it is a push so that it can draw.. when I open it up I start having issues with contact for some reason.. Need a lot of work here.

So.. my score is a 2.5

I might still be a little generous with my self with 2&3, but I think I am probably between 2 and 2.5!

Eyad

• Administrator

So.. my score is a 2.5

Then update your handicap. You're not a 36, right? :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Then update your handicap. You're not a 36, right? :)

Good Point -

Last time I played a real 18 I shot a 99 which was 3 weeks ago or so.

6,756 yards

70.2/133

I'm not sure what that would come out to, but that is 27 strokes over par..  I will wait until I play the course again and update accordingly :)

Hey I can sandbag for a while can't I?

Eyad

• 2 weeks later...

K1 - 1

K2 - .75

K3 - 0

K4 - 0

K5 - .25

Total = 2

HCap Index 12.9

Pretty close given the fact that I haven't played much the last few years due to health issues. My index used to be 12 but has creeped up since my short game is rusty.

- Shane

• 5 months later...

If I focus, I know how to keep a steady head, but I know that it still has a tendency to dip toward the ball a hair, so I'll give myself a .25.

It gets forward most of the time. Probably not as much as it could/should, but I don't have to think about this one as much...still don't feel comfortable giving myself more than a .5

Erik can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I've always had this key as a part of my swing...never been a flipper. Not sure I'm confident enough in any part of my swing to say I've mastered any keys though.

I would give myself a -1 if it was an option here.

My Score: 0.25

Lately I seem to have a more consistent ball flight, leading me to believe that my clubface is relatively consistent...however, I have the tendency to open the face at impact occasionally, so I can't even label this as a "decent" key.

Total: 1.75.

My handicap index: Probably around a 21-22 at the moment, but I don't keep one, and seem to be trending lower lately (fingers crossed)

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

OK I will give this a go Key #1: Steady Head My Score: .6 Thanks to Evolvr this getting better ... one of my main swing thoughts at the moment Key #2: Weight Forward My Score: .5 I am working really hard on this one. Key #3: Inline Impact My Score: .2 Working on 1 and 2 at the moment Key #4: Diagonal Sweetspot Path My Score: .2 Working my way down the keys Key #5: Clubface Control My Score: .3 I have gotten better on this one Total: ~2 My handicap index: 19 ... that is down from 24 when I first joined the site and before i joined Evolver ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

My Score: 0.65

Pretty steady, but need to continue to work on this more.

My Score: 0.55

Getting weight forward, but sometimes my back is not arched as much as it should be.

My Score: 0.25

I can use the MP32 clubs pretty nicely, the ball flight is starting to become more consistent from club to club.

My Score: 0.15

Can do this with all clubs, but I sometimes "forget" the direction.

My Score: 0.1

Can also control the direction, but again, it's not automatic. I need to concentrate to keep the direction correct.

Total:

1.7 total:  According to my last two scores where I didn't 4 putt and 3 putt that often, my handicap should be 15, but I am starting to get to or near the greens much more easily. I look forward to continuing my progress and maybe get some others to assess my actual levels.

I think my previous opinion of myself was overly optimistic.

Currently, with an injured finger that prevents me from gripping the club, I think I might be around 1.7. This seems to put me in position for birdie putts on sub-350 yard type par 4 holes about 3-4 times per round, and for a standard length par 4 (sub-390 yards) nGIR (20 yards off) over 70% of the time (seems like most of the time). My longest driver/iron was 435 yards Driver/3i yesterday evening on a really short 449 yard par 5, which I consider a long 4 with bunkers in play on both sides for a reasonable drive.

Pre-injury my weight shift and in line impact were affected dramatically and probably lowered it to 1.4. It would have taken Driver/3H to get the same distance assuming there was no tree in the way. It would most likely have played as a par 5.

My current handicap based upon the 20+ rounds recorded in GolfLogix is 13.6 (my current listed on this site is 14.6). I need to get Golflogix to record my approaches along with my tee shots.

A better swing really lowers your handicap, and there is almost a direct correlation between HI and Keys.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

In terms of repeatable on the course.

Key #1: 95% irons, 70% driver.  Still can lean back on a few, especially the driver and longer irons. Product of overswinging.

Key #2: 95%

Key #3: 95% irons, 70% driver, Even with my issues on my backswing, my hands are much more inline with my clubhead. Can get flippy if I loose my spin tilt too much. Goes with Key #1 and my backswing piece.

Key #4: 15%

Key #5: 5%

I make pretty good solid contact with the irons. Struggle more with slightly thin, but not struggling with chunks and skull shots. Keys 1-3 are pretty solid. My key #4 and Key #5 suck.

Really hard to focus on Key #5 when Key #4 is all over the place :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I thought I kept my head still till I started seeing it in slow mo.

This is what I'm working on now. I'm not really sure how I should grade myself on it though

I'm not really sure how to grade myself on this. Draws are no problem for me, but I sometimes hit a small push when I try to fade it

Total: 3.75

My handicap index: Before I took a 3 year break I was about a 5 with this swing

• Administrator

On the course? Closer to 0. See the note below…

My Score: .2

My Score: .2

My Score: .3

Too many people seem to be giving themselves too many partial scores. Let's put it this way: I gave myself 0.25 for Diagonal Sweetspot Path.

The bar for 1/4 is likely much higher than some of you seem to be applying to yourself.

(I haven't seen your swing, @isukgolf , in the past few days, so I could be wrong).

I'll say that again: the bar is much higher. It's kind of an exponential scale. You have to be pretty darn good to get even a 1/4 to 1/2. From there the increments are small.

The scale is kind of like this…

In other words, Dave and I were harsher critics of partial credit than many of you seem to be. :)

Edit:

Nope:

On the course? Closer to 0. See the note below…

Too many people seem to be giving themselves too many partial scores. Let's put it this way: I gave myself 0.25 for Diagonal Sweetspot Path.

The bar for 1/4 is likely much higher than some of you seem to be applying to yourself.

(I haven't seen your swing, @isukgolf, in the past few days, so I could be wrong).

I'll say that again: the bar is much higher. It's kind of an exponential scale. You have to be pretty darn good to get even a 1/4 to 1/2. From there the increments are small.

Fair enough, I assumed and hoped you'd chime in and correct mine as you saw fit. Though, since we last played I feel like I've gotten better at both of those keys, and my scores have reflected it.

With that said, I wasn't looking at is as an exponential scale either. That would change my rankings.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Note: This thread is 2924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!