IGNORED

Playing multiple balls and posting to handicap?

jshots
Note: This thread is 3981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't really know 3/5ths of f. all about the rules of golf.  And as already stated by people that do know the rules, it is against them.  In regards to the discussion whether playing additional balls would improve your score and handicap, I think it would.

My take on it...

Even if you're only scoring the first ball you hit, that first ball you hit may not be the first next shot you take.  If it's not, then you're probably giving yourself an advantage on your "first" ball score.

Easiest example to explain what I mean would be in terms of testing the conditions in a bunker:

You tee off more than one ball

You hit two of them into the same large greenside or fairway bunker on the same hole

You don't hit the "first" ball shot first, you play the "second" ball first as it's further from the pin

BOOM, you've tested the condition of the hazard and given yourself an advantage for your "first" ball, the scoring ball.

Originally Posted by ColeMc

I don't really know 3/5ths of f. all about the rules of golf.  And as already stated by people that do know the rules, it is against them.  In regards to the discussion whether playing additional balls would improve your score and handicap, I think it would.

My take on it...

Even if you're only scoring the first ball you hit, that first ball you hit may not be the first next shot you take.  If it's not, then you're probably giving yourself an advantage on your "first" ball score.

Easiest example to explain what I mean would be in terms of testing the conditions in a bunker:

You tee off more than one ball

You hit two of them into the same large greenside or fairway bunker on the same hole

You don't hit the "first" ball shot first, you play the "second" ball first as it's further from the pin

BOOM, you've tested the condition of the hazard and given yourself an advantage for your "first" ball, the scoring ball.

I think that his point is that he always plays the scoring ball first, regardless of any other factors.  He didn't say that he's playing a second ball shot by shot, just that he's dropping and playing practice balls as the mood strikes him.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The fact is, as soon as you play another ball, it is a practice round.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The point is that it's a rules question in the rules forum, so the answer should be based on the rules, not on personal opinion.

What a novel idea.  Some people seem to think it is a confessional where they can get absolution for their sins.  Or permission to go in peace and sin some more.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The point is that it's a rules question in the rules forum, so the answer should be based on the rules, not on personal opinion.

I always forget this!  Valid point.

I always ( always ) only navigate the site by clicking "forums" then "new posts" so I never consider putting on any hats other than just "random enthusiastic golfer."  I never remember to check which forum its in.

Still think some people take the game a little too seriously sometimes ... but I guess that's to be expected by people who like to frequent rules forums.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

I always forget this!  Valid point.

I always (always) only navigate the site by clicking "forums" then "new posts" so I never consider putting on any hats other than just "random enthusiastic golfer."  I never remember to check which forum its in.

Still think some people take the game a little too seriously sometimes ... but I guess that's to be expected by people who like to frequent rules forums.

When you have played tournament golf, even at the club level as I have, for more than 20 years, playing by the rules becomes automatic.  For me there is only one correct way to play.  I admit that there are situations in casual rounds where it just isn't possible to play by the letter of the rules.  When my ball becomes lost in a location or under circumstances which cannot be anticipated, sometimes there is no choice but to just drop a ball and add a couple of penalty strokes - I don't like doing it, but it's not always an option.  I will always play a provisional ball when there is a known chance of my ball being lost or OB, but at times the ball seems to teleport to another dimension from an area where you would not think that it could possibly be lost.  When playing a busy course, that really leaves no option for a casual round.  That is really the only time I can think of when I will not be able follow a proper procedure.

So you can see where I'm coming from.  I'm not a dour, gloomy Gus when I play, but I do feel that the rules are there to be used.  Having fun while playing by the rules is not oxymoronic.

Rick

Originally Posted by turtleback

What a novel idea.  Some people seem to think it is a confessional where they can get absolution for their sins.  Or permission to go in peace and sin some more.  LOL

Please point me in the direction of the "Absolution for my golfing sins" forum. LOL

Ok so it is obviously breaking the rules. But to all of you strict rules following gurus, can you honestly say you've never posted a handicap round where you broke a rule.

Taken a gimme on a 2 footer from a playing partner? Tried out your friends new driver? Taken or given advice to/from someone other than your caddie?

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

Please point me in the direction of the "Absolution for my golfing sins" forum. LOL

Ok so it is obviously breaking the rules. But to all of you strict rules following gurus, can you honestly say you've never posted a handicap round where you broke a rule.

Taken a gimme on a 2 footer from a playing partner? Tried out your friends new driver? Taken or given advice to/from someone other than your caddie?

This is my point when I try to "reason" with people in this rules forum.  So many people have the holier than thou attitude of "you can play whatever game you want, just don't call it golf" or "I don't care what you do, but you don't have a real handicap" when I suspect a lot of them live in glass houses.  I fully respect all of the rules of this game and try to play by them all of the time, but when it's a casual round, so much happens like you mentioned above, that to me, having the "you play golf 100% by the rules 100% of the time, or else you're a pathetic excuse for a human being" attitude just seems wrong and disingenuous.

This is my point when I try to "reason" with people in this rules forum.  So many people have the holier than thou attitude of "you can play whatever game you want, just don't call it golf" or "I don't care what you do, but you don't have a real handicap" when I suspect a lot of them live in glass houses.  I fully respect all of the rules of this game and try to play by them all of the time, but when it's a casual round, so much happens like you mentioned above, that to me, having the "you play golf 100% by the rules 100% of the time, or else you're a pathetic excuse for a human being" attitude just seems wrong and disingenuous.

Just don't let one of the stand legs from your bag accidentally touch the green. You will be crucified.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

Just don't let one of the stand legs from your bag accidentally touch the green. You will be crucified.

Lol ... yeah, I saw that.  People were analyzing your avatar like it was the Zapruder film.

Originally Posted by jshots  Taken or given advice to/from someone other than your caddie?

This one slays me.

It's a social game.  And the rules don't allow people to chat amongst themselves about an upcoming shot.

"which way do you think this putt breaks?"

"what do you think is the best tee shot, straight up the left, or up the right with a little draw?"

"nice shot, what club did you hit?"

"do you want a laser reading from there?"

Kinda sucks to not have the option to talk about 'golf' while 'golfing'.

I would have allowed it - but beware that opponents can lie, so you have a vested interest in only trusting your own experience and the caddie you hired.

Is it cheating to notice that the other guy has a 5i in his hand and he hit it short?

Is it cheating to watch the other guy's putt to see the true speed and break?

I don't see much difference in application

but.....the rules is the rules

Bill - 

I had a deep and meaningful post but this isn't it. Will try again tomorrow when sober thoughts better organized.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

You know what slays me?  It's when the guys like the last 3 or 4 posts come to a rules forum and start congratulating each other for not playing by the rules.  I have to ask myself, why did they bother to read anything in this forum in the first place if they don't at least respect the rules of golf?  All you want to do is rag on those of us who do respect the game and it's rules.   There are other places for that.  I see this as a venue for those who actually want to learn something.

Rick

You know what slays me?  It's when the guys like the last 3 or 4 posts come to a rules forum and start congratulating each other for not playing by the rules.  I have to ask myself, why did they bother to read anything in this forum in the first place if they don't at least respect the rules of golf?  All you want to do is rag on those of us who do respect the game and it's rules.   There are other places for that.  I see this as a venue for those who actually want to learn something.

I think you are misinterpreting here, Rick.  Nobody is congratulating anybody for breaking rules, nor are they ragging on people for following rules.  Speaking for myself here (but suspect this applies to the other "2 or 3" too), but I very much do respect the rules of the game, and I come here to try and learn as well.  I just get really tired of hearing that I am "not playing golf, but some other game" or that I "don't have an official handicap" because I occasionally break some of the more "unimportant" rules of the game.

Here's another example ... sometimes I don't bother to mark my ball.  I'll just lean over and pick it up while resting the tip of my putter just next to the spot, wipe the mud off of it, put it back and play on.

This shows up the inherent flaw in the USGA handicap system - all scores are to be returned.

It virtually eliminates the opportunity for social golf.

One effect is that people pick and choose which rounds they declare, often it seems, after the event; encouraging sandbaggers and vanity cappers.

Another is that people criticize the rules because they often conflict with the circumstances in which most people play most of their golf

• Upvote 1

Jumping to the conclusion that someone who breaks a rule to make the game more enjoyable doesn't respect the rules of golf doesn't really make any sense to me though. Have you literally NEVER broken a rule of golf and posted it to your handicap?

I think the rules are important, and having played quite a few tournaments I definitely respect them. I was raised by a course pro so I was kind of indoctrinated by the rules of golf. I just have a hard time believing that most people follow the rules 100% when playing a casual round, but they still post them for handicap purposes.

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

Well if you know the rules then you know that taking a 2 foot gimme is not a bar to posting the round for handicap purposes.  The handicap rules anticipate the possibility that there may be an occasional lapse from the rules.  If you are more likely than not to make the putt then you post the score as is.  If he gives you a 10 footer then you add a stroke (unless you make most of your 10 footers).

An better example of something improper would be someone hitting the ball OB off the tee and then dropping a ball and hitting and counting that as their 3rd shot.  If the rule had been followed and the re-tee shot ended up in the exact place where you dropped you would be hitting your 4th shot, not your 3rd shot.  THIS is the ind of substantial difference that a lot of people do.

But again, this is the RULES forum and answers and discussion should be about the real rules, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

sometimes I don't bother to mark my ball.  I'll just lean over and pick it up while resting the tip of my putter just next to the spot, wipe the mud off of it, put it back and play on.

No rule broken there.

Examples of methods of marking the position of a ball that are not recommended, but are permissible, are as follows:

• placing the toe of a club at the side of, or behind, the ball;

Note: This thread is 3981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!