IGNORED

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by zipazoid

And then we can?

But...you already know what he's going to shoot. +3.

Got any inside tips on the Powerball numbers?

damn...+3, he was right...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zwick

There should be some graduated rough, missing the fairway by 1 foot and you are done, that's a bit too much. And if the course drys out, then it will be almost impossible to hit a fairway.

Tough shit, this is golf. Stop babying these pro's. The course is maxed out at 6900 yards, its not going to play that long all week. Even if they have just over 400 yard par 4's. Hit a hybrid or long iron, they hit it about 230-240 off the tee. 160-170 isn't that bad from the fairway.

Honestly i love it, if you want to play this type of golf, get use to playing defensively. All these pro's are Driver Driver Driver Driver, its absurd. Go long iron, long iron if you have to. Maybe Bogey isn't to bad when everyone else is making double. As some baseball teams do, play some small ball. Take your chances, and be smart.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The big 3 are struggling, and I know this is the toughtest stretch of the course they played today, but I think the wind shift really killed them. Maybe it was the layoff, but they said earlier the course was designed yesterday knowing they might delay for a day, so I think it was set up a bit easier yesterday than it was once the wind shifted.

I wonder if that means today's round will see lower scores all around since they won't be trying to plan for a layover.

Originally Posted by iacas

Especially if the winds pick up.

If the wind picks up and it gets dry, there will be 15 foot birdie putts that become 15, 20 and even 30 foot par puts coming back the other way. That green side bunker shot that Rory just hit on 18 will roll to the bottom of the green (spot closest to #1 tee) when it is dry. Tigers little bladed chip for par on 17 will roll another 6 feet to his right below that pin. That is the nuance that is mssing right now, but these greens fool everyone that comes here.

Very few players putt these greens well. Buddy Marucci is the best. Jay Sigel too.

Originally Posted by Lash

The big 3 are struggling, and I know this is the toughtest stretch of the course they played today, but I think the wind shift really killed them. Maybe it was the layoff, but they said earlier the course was designed yesterday knowing they might delay for a day, so I think it was set up a bit easier yesterday than it was once the wind shifted.

I wonder if that means today's round will see lower scores all around since they won't be trying to plan for a layover.

The players out on the course to finsh their first round are at a distinct disadvantage, particulary down the home stretch holes.

And I am fairly certain that they won't get everybody in the barn today. They will be starting the round 4 hours late.

Bill M

If anyone wants to join the chat: http://thesandtrap.com/chat

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Looks like Tiger may have golfer's elbow or tennis elbow going on...  I hope not.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

How does it work when Tiger calls it a day without finishing out his putt?  Does he leave his marker there overnight?  Does someone measure where his ball is or something?

I imagine they wait until the first round is complete to move the pins?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by Zwick

There should be some graduated rough, missing the fairway by 1 foot and you are done, that's a bit too much. And if the course drys out, then it will be almost impossible to hit a fairway.

When the course is under 7,000 yards, you gotta toughen it up somehow else they're gonna shoot next to nothing. And it's the USGA - they're not above embarrassing the pros if they wish to.

Originally Posted by dsc123

How does it work when Tiger calls it a day without finishing out his putt?  Does he leave his marker there overnight?  Does someone measure where his ball is or something?

I imagine they wait until the first round is complete to move the pins?

The guys on TV said most of them would leave a tee or something along with their normal marker so that it wouldn't be moved. And yes, they kept the same pin locations to finish out the first round.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Wardy

Still think Phil will win this, his short game is just immense

If you're relying on your short game that much in a US Open, it will eventually catch up with you.  Phil will be no exception.

Originally Posted by tmac20

Let's just wait and see what he shoots before insulting anybody.

I'm not sure if you realize that you already insulted him.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by boogielicious

One question though, his drop was in front of the grandstand and the ball was caught by a fan in the middle of the grandstand.  Was this an optical illusion that his drop was closer to the hole?

AAHHHHHHH - Call it in!  Call it in!

Bill - 

Originally Posted by k14

All in all an awesome day. What a brutal course!

Love it! Never been to Merion but am so glad the course is showing its teeth!

There are, what, 5-6 guys under par now? And the Golden Three were +2, +2, +3 for the first round!

Short does not mean easy, tho a few years of grooming by the sadists at USGA had a little to do with it.

My picks did worse, +5, +6. That's ok -- for me. I get to see some golf the way it ought to be.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

If you're relying on your short game that much in a US Open, it will eventually catch up with you.  Phil will be no exception. I'm not sure if you realize that you already insulted him. ;-)

I don't know what stings more, his dig at Tiger or Tiger shooting the 73...

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

I don't know what stings more, his dig at Tiger or Tiger shooting the 73...

Tiger isn't putting well right now.  If he gets that going, he'll be fine.  But considering he doesn't know these greens well and that the speeds will likely be changing all week, that's no given.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!