IGNORED

Why Does Everyone Eat While Golfing?

golf55
Note: This thread is 1782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Because when I have my club ready and know my shot selection, my shoes are tied, the cart is parked and my clubs and balls are clean, I hydrate and refill my water bottle, I check my yardage and wind, update my scorecard, and the group ahead of us is still on the green for 10 more minutes (this goes on nearly every hole), I can always eat a granola bar or some trail mix.

Keep the blood sugar and electrolytes up, especially through 18 holes. Fitness and diet and hydration don't matter in the first 6 holes or so, but can easily make a 10 stroke difference on the back 9. This is why I usually beat my partners in matches; I keep my focus on the back 9 and go Tiger Woods on them while they start to lose focus and get sloppy. There's nothing like hitting a 300 yard drive on 18 to intimidate a tired opponent who's already lost ground. Plus if you get into trouble you can still be aggressive, and have your full arsenal while they are desperate for you to go down easily because they know there's nothing in the tank. This goes double if they take 90+ strokes to get around, taking all those shots can wear out the core and legs and force them to generate power in bad ways.

I don't like to eat a big fattening breakfast, maybe a piece of fruit or some yogurt and some coffee. Even then I'm forcing myself to eat. I have absolutely no appetite for about 2 hours after I get up. Then I eat most of my protein afterwards.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I once had hot wings delivered to me on the 11th hole, but that was just the chef trying to make it up to me because the restaurant was going to be closed after my round due to an outside event.

Normally I have a package of gatorade chews on my 10th hole and nothing else other than beer.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

As already stated people eat to maintain energy levels.  Four to five hours is a long time to go without food, especially during any sort of physical activity outside.  I find that without a snack of some kind I have difficulty maintaining concentration levels on the back nine.  I usually pack a peanut butter sandwich or will buy a Snickers bar from the cart girl if I forget to pack something.

Joe Paradiso

I don't usually eat during the round and I walk most of the time.  However, Gatorade (or something like it) is my drink of choice on the course.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Here in Florida, especially in the summer, it's too damn hot to eat. Just gimme lots of water.

I tend to agree.  I'll sometimes grab a dog at the turn, but more often than not, I'm just drinking a lot of water or Gatoraide.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I sometimes pack a piece of fruit or nuts, but I've been paired with groups that eat and drink pretty well. Like pastries and delicacies and good tea. It was like golf and tapas/dim sum social hour where you can easily packin more calories than you burn.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Why eat during a round of golf?

It can be 5-6 hrs, you're expending energy, and personally, I get hungry.

I typically have 16 oz of water, more when it's hot, and bring some or all of the above - apples, pistachios, almonds, and walnuts.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

It's important, especially when walking to keep up your energy level. For me that means a protein bar or similar. It keeps my focus sharp at the end of the round. I'll eat it at the turn. It's not distracting at all and should be part of your routine. Look at the pros. TV doesn't often show them eating except Tiger but I guarantee they get take in plenty of calories during a round.

I try to drink plenty of water on the course as well. Otherwise by the last 2-3 holes my focus is gone.

Prefer the way they do it here. Mandatory 15-minute stop at halfway for breakfast or lunch. Since the whole field does it, nobody gets unduly held up and it allows you to refuel for the back side. No cart girls out on the courses, so also presents the opportunity to neck a beer if that's what the situation calls for.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I drink plenty of water on the course. I'll throw a couple bananas in my bag but thats it. I never stop at the turn, unless it's for a quick rest room trip.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

If people feel like eating they're going to eat regardless of what they're doing.  I've never felt like eating if I'm walking like Philly above, but if I'm cruising around in a cart and feel like having a cheeseburger at the turn I'm probably going to have a cheeseburger at the turn.

Originally Posted by Stretch

Prefer the way they do it here. Mandatory 15-minute stop at halfway for breakfast or lunch. Since the whole field does it, nobody gets unduly held up and it allows you to refuel for the back side. No cart girls out on the courses, so also presents the opportunity to neck a beer if that's what the situation calls for.

I like that, great idea.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Considering I walk almost 90% of the time usually by the 7th hole I'm starving so I pack a bag of nuts, granola bar, apple or banana and at least a liter of water. I have no idea how but the water is usually gone by the 14th hole.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I have no set routine. If I miss lunch before the round I might get something before I start and if the tee time comes up, I will finish in the cart. I sometimes walk, and when I do, I usually don't carry anything to eat; if I am playing 18 i might get a snack at the turn whether walking or riding. If I am playing just 9, I don't ususally eat but stay hydrated-mostly water but if its really hot may a sports drink to replace electrolytes.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I don't have a habit of eating every time, it depends when during the day I play. I don't eat breakfast, so if I go out early, morning or noon, it can be nice to have some fruit, nuts and stuff to eat. I always drink water while playing. I'd rather eat a little during the round than a big meal right before.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I don't like playing on a full stomach. So I typically don't eat prior to playing. I usually walk and almost always have a Gatorade, that I typically refill at the water coolers on the course, and a bag of trail mix, or a Powerbar, Nature Valley bar, or something like that.

I still live by the rules Senior Drill Instructor Staff Sgt Bird told us: "Eat like a pig, run like a pig. Eat like a fox, run like a fox."

Granted, there isn't much running in golf, but I just don't like having a bunch of half-digested food in my stomach while I do some form of exercise.

• Administrator

I rarely eat on the golf course, but I will if I'm hungry.

I mean… right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by golf55

I get distracted when I have food. Even simple as banana I lose my concentration. I just don't understand how people can switch on and off with golf.

I always walk. I eat FULL right before I leave my house. I'm usually hungry by the 6th hole lol. I have done it but I was losing so much focus on golf. The golf bag you move around and stopping every minute to hit the shot. Eating while riding a cart makes sense. Store food in the cart and eat while your buddies hit but it's harder when your walking. When I have a large group in front it takes 5hours to finish a round and I can't afford to eat at the golf restaurant so that's more than 6hrs of no food.

Now I think about it I should buy those mini size chocolate bars but I think they melt in the heat. I don't want a mess all over my hand. Small crackers maybe?

EDIT: I guess the question I"m asking is, am I the only one who doesn't eat while playing golf.

lol No offense, but if a banana is taking your attention away from your game and breaking your focus... you may need prescription medication to fix that attention span.

I am not sure that anything would be so distracting that I can't focus on my game, aside from getting wasted.

People eat when they are hungry, period. If I'm good, I'm good. If I'm hungry, I'll eat something (snickers, peanuts, fritos, hot dog, pretzels, whatever....)

Note: This thread is 1782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!