IGNORED

Hockey Fans

KingCobra
Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm an hockey fan for sure, I'm from Canada... But no longer have a favorite team since the Nordiques went south of the border.

I know this is an old thread but my brother was a huge Nordiques fan, especially Peter Statsny and bros (Anton and Marion, I think). He's now an Avs fan, big Sakic fan (when he was playing obviously). I think that Quebec City should definitely be the next expansion city. Never mind Vegas or Kansas City or even Seattle. Now that there is a cap in place, the smaller Canadian franchises can easily compete.

I can see the logic for a Seattle team but I sure hope that Quebec will land a team soon. Quebec city economy is way better than it was back in 1995.

Thank you, hope you are right about the expansion. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 years later...

Just bumping an old thread. This morning I discovered a great site for Hockey Fans.   http://www.hockey-reference.com/

With "Stats and History" a complete source for current and historical NHL players, teams, scores and leaders.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

6 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Just bumping an old thread. This morning I discovered a great site for Hockey Fans.   http://www.hockey-reference.com/

With "Stats and History" a complete source for current and historical NHL players, teams, scores and leaders.

I've seen that one. My favorite is http://www.hockeydb.com/. This site gives you most if not all that stuff for not only the NHL but nearly all leagues, minor, college and Europe.

With hockeydb for instance you can see the statistics for the IHL's Pittsburgh Shamrocks in 1935 that were coached to an 18-27-1 record by Sprague Cleghorn. One of the roughest players ever, Cleghorn terrorized the NHA and NHL in the 1910s and 1920s playing primarily with the Canadiens and Senators. The Shamrocks would be Cleghorn's last contact with professional hockey. 

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite hockey forums is HFBoards.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/

The site is an excellent example of the inmates running the asylum but it is an interesting perspective on fan opinions.  Definitely not a safe place to be a GM or coach... unless your name is Rutherford or Sullivan... at least until next April.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Die hard Red Wings fan here.  Been a fan ever since I was a kid where Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood ran the show.  Hoping the team can do something this year after spending the money they did on free agents.

6 hours ago, hockeyref18 said:

Die hard Red Wings fan here.  Been a fan ever since I was a kid where Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood ran the show.  Hoping the team can do something this year after spending the money they did on free agents.

No team better!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

No team better!

Well, except for about 14 teams or so… ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/21/2016 at 10:21 AM, 70sSanO said:

One of my favorite hockey forums is HFBoards.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/

The site is an excellent example of the inmates running the asylum but it is an interesting perspective on fan opinions.  Definitely not a safe place to be a GM or coach... unless your name is Rutherford or Sullivan... at least until next April.

John

Great to see someone else who is a fan of HFBoards here!!  These are the only 2 forums I read.  There are so many knowledgeable people at HF but there is a lot of crazy people too making it a lot of fun

I am a huge Blues fan and have been as long as I can remember.  Bummed about giving up my season tickets this year though, I am going to miss the Winter Classic against the much hated Hawks.  I do have to send my kid to college at some point though...

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Well, except for about 14 teams or so… ;-)

Funny, I thought the same thing. Detroit is in that awkward window where they can still compete for a playoff spot, but aren't really SCF good. They're not quite at the rebuild phase yet, but they're not too far either.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I just found out that Orlando has a team in the ECHL East Div called The Solar Bears. Gonna have to check them out.

Way back in the day, Orlando was part of the over-expansion of the old IHL. That's the same league that used to have the 60's and 70s era Dayton Gems and the Cincinnati Cyclones. After the IHL collapsed under its over-expanded weight, teams like the Solar Bears and Cyclones landed in the ECHL. Of course, the Bombers were in the ECHL before their demise.

However, the Solar Bears are currently affiliated with a certain blue-and-white wearing franchise out of Ontario, so they can go stuff themselves. 

On August 3, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Brian W said:

Great to see someone else who is a fan of HFBoards here!!  These are the only 2 forums I read.  There are so many knowledgeable people at HF but there is a lot of crazy people too making it a lot of fun

Same here, these two forums get 90% of my browsing usage.  

Corey

On August 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM, CarlSpackler said:

I just found out that Orlando has a team in the ECHL East Div called The Solar Bears. Gonna have to check them out.

ECHL is a great league to watch. Very exciting if you get the right teams!  Hope you get to make it out!

• 3 weeks later...

Hockey, AKA the greatest game ever played by mankind. But that's just my opinion. I grew up a LA Kings Fan, I went to elementary school about 5 blocks from the Fabulous Forum. I can remember ditching 5th grade so I could sneak into the forum and watch them practice.  However I gave up on the Kings when they changed their team colors to the gang banger colors of silver and black because the Raiders came to LA . Purple and Gold are the colors of royalty. I no longer "HAVE" a team in the NHL, but I'll watch any game being played.

I love Minor League Hockey as in the San Diego Gulls. Wife and I have had season tix for ever. For a 10 year run before they folded and they came back last year so we bought season tix again. The Gulls farm out to the Ducks (the whole league supplies the NHL), so we get to see a lot of top level play. Only down side is during the play offs the Ducks take our star guys.

Golf is like being married to a beautiful woman that can cook, change a flat tire and never turns you down. But   just for fun she slaps you around in public.

Huge hockey fan, here.  Go Bruins!

Not too many hockey fans down here in Alabama - college football is king, here.  Fell in love with the Bruins in the mid/late 80s when we first got cable, and the Boston superstation showed Bruins hockey.

I'm too young (40) to remember the first iteration of the Birmingham Bulls, but we had a pretty good ECHL team through the 90s.  My wife and I (dating back then) went to ~20 games a season.  The team was doing just fine until it was bought out by a management group who had a penchant for running teams into the ground, and they did just that within a couple of years.

Alabama has a pretty good club team, but they have to practice and play in BHM ~60 miles away as we have no rink here.  They are good enough to where I wish they could get the bump to an official scholarship team, but I don't see that happening with our current numbers in Title IX.  We'd need a local venue built, too.

I can't wait until the season starts, even if the B's are due for another year of mediocrity.  Just such a great sport.

BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

On 8/23/2016 at 0:38 PM, BamaWade said:

Huge hockey fan, here.  Go Bruins!

Not too many hockey fans down here in Alabama - college football is king, here.  Fell in love with the Bruins in the mid/late 80s when we first got cable, and the Boston superstation showed Bruins hockey.

I'm too young (40) to remember the first iteration of the Birmingham Bulls, but we had a pretty good ECHL team through the 90s.  My wife and I (dating back then) went to ~20 games a season.  The team was doing just fine until it was bought out by a management group who had a penchant for running teams into the ground, and they did just that within a couple of years.

Alabama has a pretty good club team, but they have to practice and play in BHM ~60 miles away as we have no rink here.  They are good enough to where I wish they could get the bump to an official scholarship team, but I don't see that happening with our current numbers in Title IX.  We'd need a local venue built, too.

I can't wait until the season starts, even if the B's are due for another year of mediocrity.  Just such a great sport.

BamaWade

While it is very difficult, I'll give your Bruin fandom a pass for the time being.

There have been a couple of different Birmingham Bulls clubs over the years, but the most infamous one was the World Hockey Association entry in the late 70's. In back-to-back seasons Glen Sonmor and John Brophy coached the WHA's version on the Broad Street Bullies. In 77-78, the  Bulls had four guys over 200 PIM, Frank Beaton, Gilles Billodeau, Steve Durbano and Dave Hanson (Like Hanson brother from movie Slap Shot). 

I do remember seeing the ECHL Bulls once or twice up here in Dayton to play the Bombers. Looking at that roster I remember the names Jerome Bechard, Kevin Kerr and Craig Charron. Charron would go on to play here in Dayton for a year or two.

Living in the middle of Alabama does put you a pretty good distance from much of anything. It's a long ways north, but Univ. of Alabama Huntsville does play Division I college hockey in the WCHA. That's the same loop my alma mater Bowling Green plays in.

Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!