Jump to content
KingCobra

Hockey Fans

112 posts / 29683 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I'm an hockey fan for sure, I'm from Canada... But no longer have a favorite team since the Nordiques went south of the border.

I know this is an old thread but my brother was a huge Nordiques fan, especially Peter Statsny and bros (Anton and Marion, I think). He's now an Avs fan, big Sakic fan (when he was playing obviously). I think that Quebec City should definitely be the next expansion city. Never mind Vegas or Kansas City or even Seattle. Now that there is a cap in place, the smaller Canadian franchises can easily compete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I can see the logic for a Seattle team but I sure hope that Quebec will land a team soon. Quebec city economy is way better than it was back in 1995.

Thank you, hope you are right about the expansion. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just bumping an old thread. This morning I discovered a great site for Hockey Fans.   http://www.hockey-reference.com/

With "Stats and History" a complete source for current and historical NHL players, teams, scores and leaders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Just bumping an old thread. This morning I discovered a great site for Hockey Fans.   http://www.hockey-reference.com/

With "Stats and History" a complete source for current and historical NHL players, teams, scores and leaders.

I've seen that one. My favorite is http://www.hockeydb.com/. This site gives you most if not all that stuff for not only the NHL but nearly all leagues, minor, college and Europe.

With hockeydb for instance you can see the statistics for the IHL's Pittsburgh Shamrocks in 1935 that were coached to an 18-27-1 record by Sprague Cleghorn. One of the roughest players ever, Cleghorn terrorized the NHA and NHL in the 1910s and 1920s playing primarily with the Canadiens and Senators. The Shamrocks would be Cleghorn's last contact with professional hockey. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of my favorite hockey forums is HFBoards.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/

The site is an excellent example of the inmates running the asylum but it is an interesting perspective on fan opinions.  Definitely not a safe place to be a GM or coach... unless your name is Rutherford or Sullivan... at least until next April.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Die hard Red Wings fan here.  Been a fan ever since I was a kid where Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood ran the show.  Hoping the team can do something this year after spending the money they did on free agents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, hockeyref18 said:

Die hard Red Wings fan here.  Been a fan ever since I was a kid where Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood ran the show.  Hoping the team can do something this year after spending the money they did on free agents.

No team better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/21/2016 at 10:21 AM, 70sSanO said:

One of my favorite hockey forums is HFBoards.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/

The site is an excellent example of the inmates running the asylum but it is an interesting perspective on fan opinions.  Definitely not a safe place to be a GM or coach... unless your name is Rutherford or Sullivan... at least until next April.

John

Great to see someone else who is a fan of HFBoards here!!  These are the only 2 forums I read.  There are so many knowledgeable people at HF but there is a lot of crazy people too making it a lot of fun

I am a huge Blues fan and have been as long as I can remember.  Bummed about giving up my season tickets this year though, I am going to miss the Winter Classic against the much hated Hawks.  I do have to send my kid to college at some point though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Well, except for about 14 teams or so… ;-)

Funny, I thought the same thing. Detroit is in that awkward window where they can still compete for a playoff spot, but aren't really SCF good. They're not quite at the rebuild phase yet, but they're not too far either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I just found out that Orlando has a team in the ECHL East Div called The Solar Bears. Gonna have to check them out.

Way back in the day, Orlando was part of the over-expansion of the old IHL. That's the same league that used to have the 60's and 70s era Dayton Gems and the Cincinnati Cyclones. After the IHL collapsed under its over-expanded weight, teams like the Solar Bears and Cyclones landed in the ECHL. Of course, the Bombers were in the ECHL before their demise.

However, the Solar Bears are currently affiliated with a certain blue-and-white wearing franchise out of Ontario, so they can go stuff themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On August 3, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Brian W said:

Great to see someone else who is a fan of HFBoards here!!  These are the only 2 forums I read.  There are so many knowledgeable people at HF but there is a lot of crazy people too making it a lot of fun

 

Same here, these two forums get 90% of my browsing usage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On August 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM, CarlSpackler said:

I just found out that Orlando has a team in the ECHL East Div called The Solar Bears. Gonna have to check them out.

ECHL is a great league to watch. Very exciting if you get the right teams!  Hope you get to make it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hockey, AKA the greatest game ever played by mankind. But that's just my opinion. I grew up a LA Kings Fan, I went to elementary school about 5 blocks from the Fabulous Forum. I can remember ditching 5th grade so I could sneak into the forum and watch them practice.  However I gave up on the Kings when they changed their team colors to the gang banger colors of silver and black because the Raiders came to LA . Purple and Gold are the colors of royalty. I no longer "HAVE" a team in the NHL, but I'll watch any game being played.

 I love Minor League Hockey as in the San Diego Gulls. Wife and I have had season tix for ever. For a 10 year run before they folded and they came back last year so we bought season tix again. The Gulls farm out to the Ducks (the whole league supplies the NHL), so we get to see a lot of top level play. Only down side is during the play offs the Ducks take our star guys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge hockey fan, here.  Go Bruins!

Not too many hockey fans down here in Alabama - college football is king, here.  Fell in love with the Bruins in the mid/late 80s when we first got cable, and the Boston superstation showed Bruins hockey.

I'm too young (40) to remember the first iteration of the Birmingham Bulls, but we had a pretty good ECHL team through the 90s.  My wife and I (dating back then) went to ~20 games a season.  The team was doing just fine until it was bought out by a management group who had a penchant for running teams into the ground, and they did just that within a couple of years.

Alabama has a pretty good club team, but they have to practice and play in BHM ~60 miles away as we have no rink here.  They are good enough to where I wish they could get the bump to an official scholarship team, but I don't see that happening with our current numbers in Title IX.  We'd need a local venue built, too.

I can't wait until the season starts, even if the B's are due for another year of mediocrity.  Just such a great sport.

BamaWade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/23/2016 at 0:38 PM, BamaWade said:

Huge hockey fan, here.  Go Bruins!

Not too many hockey fans down here in Alabama - college football is king, here.  Fell in love with the Bruins in the mid/late 80s when we first got cable, and the Boston superstation showed Bruins hockey.

I'm too young (40) to remember the first iteration of the Birmingham Bulls, but we had a pretty good ECHL team through the 90s.  My wife and I (dating back then) went to ~20 games a season.  The team was doing just fine until it was bought out by a management group who had a penchant for running teams into the ground, and they did just that within a couple of years.

Alabama has a pretty good club team, but they have to practice and play in BHM ~60 miles away as we have no rink here.  They are good enough to where I wish they could get the bump to an official scholarship team, but I don't see that happening with our current numbers in Title IX.  We'd need a local venue built, too.

I can't wait until the season starts, even if the B's are due for another year of mediocrity.  Just such a great sport.

BamaWade

While it is very difficult, I'll give your Bruin fandom a pass for the time being.

There have been a couple of different Birmingham Bulls clubs over the years, but the most infamous one was the World Hockey Association entry in the late 70's. In back-to-back seasons Glen Sonmor and John Brophy coached the WHA's version on the Broad Street Bullies. In 77-78, the  Bulls had four guys over 200 PIM, Frank Beaton, Gilles Billodeau, Steve Durbano and Dave Hanson (Like Hanson brother from movie Slap Shot). 

I do remember seeing the ECHL Bulls once or twice up here in Dayton to play the Bombers. Looking at that roster I remember the names Jerome Bechard, Kevin Kerr and Craig Charron. Charron would go on to play here in Dayton for a year or two.

Living in the middle of Alabama does put you a pretty good distance from much of anything. It's a long ways north, but Univ. of Alabama Huntsville does play Division I college hockey in the WCHA. That's the same loop my alma mater Bowling Green plays in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • Not really a good option when the teesheet is packed.  They would have to let every group behind them play through. That's why I ask how many of y'all have marshaled a tough course on a busy day . . . . you will hear every excuse in the book.  One of my favorites was a cigar-smoking, smart-talking older guy who had 3 young bucks in his group.  They had held up a 2-some all day, and at the third visit from me, on the 12th tee, he read me the riot-act with some choice, colorful words, saying it was the course's fault for allowing 2-somes to play.  He said he paid twice what they paid, so he was playing the way he wanted. I went back and talked to the 2-some, a husband and wife, and told them they would have to go around that foursome. Not long later I saw them at their car.  They were not upset, but they quit and came in because they did not want to upset the 4-some. See, that's when  I'd like to be able to pull out my tablet and see if they wanted to re-play at a discount. BTW, some 2-somes, often couples, won't book unless we block the other two slots at their tee time.     Wow!  Never heard of that, no-hole-skipping rule. & funny how some slow groups speed up when you play through.
    • Not sure about the other two, but I'm not technically allowed to do that. Mind you, nobody would have caught me if I did. One of the many rules we sign off on with a City of Dayton, OH privilege pass includes not skipping holes. For better or worse, I tend to be rule follower. I suppose given the layout of the course and my being on foot, it would have been a bit awkward anyway. We make the move, they speed up and we hit the next tee at the same time.
    • My instructor tells me that the more golf I play, the more I need to take lessons, not just to get better, but to make sure I don’t develop any bad habits unknowingly. I play 4-5 rounds a week and see my instructor every other week for swing checks. I have bad days on the course and will get frustrated - I usually stop golfing and see my pro right away instead of trying to figure it out myself.  Do you have anyone you are working with? I find it beneficial to have lessons regularly. I see it like a car tuneup - car is running fine but you still get an oil change/service regularly just to make sure things are doing well. Same thing with golf.
    • It was 75° the day before yesterday, and it's 10° now. Why didn't you guys skip a hole and go around the ball-shaggers?
    • Without seeing your swing, you might want to feel like you start the downswing with some right wrist bend, maybe even feel like you hold that wrist bend through the swing.  Others like to feel the left hand be flat, but I prefer to feel the right wrist bend back to start my downswing, and then I release it through the shot for some snap.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. alfalls
      alfalls
      (77 years old)
    2. Golfingdad
      Golfingdad
      (46 years old)
    3. NJpatbee
      NJpatbee
      (68 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...