IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Again, even if you say "this is a practice round" before you tee off, it doesn't mean anything.  If you play more than 7 holes in accordance with the Rules, you have to post that round, regardless of whether you "declare" it a practice round.

But, if it is a solo round you do not post it, correct?

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, MasonAsher2014 said:

But, if it is a solo round you do not post it, correct?

Yes, correct.  Or if you're receiving a "playing lesson", which I'd assume is the same as working with your coach.

- John

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

I'll double check, but I don't remember the "I want to have fun and have a beer or two with my friends" exception either... ;-) 

Aren't you the guy that listens to music when you play....and posting scores? Anywho I would be sand bagging more so if posted a beer stained round. Couple of beers and I get sloppy with my mechanics.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

56 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Aren't you the guy that listens to music when you play....and posting scores? Anywho I would be sand bagging more so if posted a beer stained round. Couple of beers and I get sloppy with my mechanics.

Drink while you listen to music.  That'll even you out, and you'll be fine.

:-D 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

6 hours ago, David in FL said:

Drink while you listen to music.  That'll even you out, and you'll be fine.

:-D 

I know I started this by questioning @MasonAsher2014, but I think we've all gone a bit :offtopic: discussing what scores to post.  @MasonAsher2014 clearly understands the posting requirements, and I take him at his word that his non-tournament golf isn't postable under the rules.  Admittedly, if I'm on a handicap committee, and see someone playing most days but only posting tournament scores, I'd look a lot closer, but his situation is a pretty uncommon one in the overall golf world.  Anyway, we should open a new thread, or revive an old one, to discuss what and how to post.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been trending towards 1.4 or so, but thanks to yesterdays 36 holes, I dropped from 1.1 to 0.1.  Didn't think it would drop that much.  But that's what 2 good rounds will do for ya I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I suck - up to a 10.1 from a 9.1 in December

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

9.6 and after today, I'm trending 9.0...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Stayed at 5.9 after posting 3 scores this period.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

My June revision is up to 4.5.................all of 2016 is out of my most recent 20, so I am hoping I will start trending down soon.  I played like complete garbage today, so I am not overly optimistic. LOL    0.8 to 4.5 spring bump is acceptable providing I get my crap together and start playing better soon.   Today wasn't pretty....uggh..(85)

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Dropped from 46 to 40 in my first ever tournament round. Was a bit disappointed with that. 

Next week I'm playing in another tournament on a harder course but I expect it to drop to low 30s or high 20s. 

Plan is to get to low 20s to the end of this season, but over here it's hard to get rounds posted as mostly only tourney rounds count towards hcp. And I need to play a few 18 hole rounds to get accustomed to 4 hour golfing, only done that twice so far :) just can't find the time for 6 hours away with 2 small kids. 

Back to the OP! While I would not consider my forum profile handicap to be a guess, it is an estimate. I would also say that it is pretty accurate. I assess this by my score relative to par. Occasionally I'll have a blowup round in the high 80's-low 90's. Other times I'll have an exceptional round in the mid to low 70's. But my average is around 83 to 85.

If you're honest about your scores, what else do you need?

52 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Pretty much just a calculator, or basic spreadsheet!  :-P

- John

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Back to the OP! While I would not consider my forum profile handicap to be a guess, it is an estimate. I would also say that it is pretty accurate. I assess this by my score relative to par. Occasionally I'll have a blowup round in the high 80's-low 90's. Other times I'll have an exceptional round in the mid to low 70's. But my average is around 83 to 85.

Yeah, that's not how handicaps work at all. If you are normally low 80s with a few rounds in the 70s you're likely well into the single digits.

-- Daniel

How are scores that average from 83 to 85 on par 70 or 72 courses single digit handicaps? If that's the case, it's a pure screw job!

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a single digit handicap again, but I really don't think I'm anywhere near it!

24 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

How are scores that average from 83 to 85 on par 70 or 72 courses single digit handicaps? If that's the case, it's a pure screw job!

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a single digit handicap again, but I really don't think I'm anywhere near it!

What he was alluding to was that the average doesn't matter much, especially if you're inconsistent, since your index takes the 10 best scores.  If, say, 20% of your rounds are in the 70's, it will end up being 40% of the rounds that are used to calculate your index.

Regardless, I'm with you that the scores you describe aren't "well into single digits"...maybe a little better than 13, but I'm guessing your estimate is probably pretty close.

Hypothetically...say you have 20 scores on a course that's reasonably tough (71.0/130 - that's the Blue Tees on my home course).  If you average 84 over 14 rounds...and then have 3 scores of 78 and 3 scores of 92 (or 94, or 100)...that is a handicap index of 10. 

Again, though...it's not hard to calculate a real one!  Hell, send me your scores and the ratings/slopes of the courses you play and I'll do it for you!  ;-)

- John

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

It depends on the difficulty of courses you play. Average score does not really mean that much to handicap - it's the best half of your scores minus a little bit.

But, the reason I said that is that I average around an 81, I'd guess, and I'm a 6 handicap. 6 of my 20 rounds on my handicap right now are under 80, which drives my 6. You go into the 70s a couple of times a year and you'll likely be in the single digits, even if your average is higher than that. I got into the high single digits without breaking 80 consistently.

Then again, the courses I play on generally have pretty high slopes. If you are playing courses with low slopes, it could be different.

Bottom line, maybe you're not "well into the single digits," but you're definitely better than a 13 handicap.

-- Daniel

Note: This thread is 1154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!