IGNORED

what happened on the 18th?

brocks
Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nothing mind boggling here and purely anecdotal:

What is it about the final hole in a round that often seems nearly perfect?  Just about everyone experiences that even during a horrifying round, it seems like everything comes together on the 18th.  Maybe because you are simply resigned, and thus more relaxed, not trying so hard to fix something, I don't know.............  Almost as deep as asking "What is your purpose in life?".

Like yesterday, long drive, down the middle, long fairway approach onto the middle of the green, saying to myself, "where in the hell did that come from?".

Oh well......that's Goff.

Ever wonder why you always make the retry putt after missing the first one?

Read some self help books on golf, like "Zen Golf". Its a state of mind basically, or it could be totally coincidental.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's usually like that for me unless of course somehow, I'm having a good round.. I think it's because I get excited that I am actually doing well, so naturally the golf gods come out.. But usually the last hole I play (whether it be 9 or 18) is pretty good.. Like yesterday, up and down from a bunker to save par....

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six, and write down five".

Paul Harvey

Originally Posted by saevel25

Ever wonder why you always make the retry putt after missing the first one?

Read some self help books on golf, like "Zen Golf". Its a state of mind basically, or it could be totally coincidental.

That's a good idea.  I vaguely recall reading something like that or perhaps only hearing about it years ago. But I do not recall ever retrying a putt unless it was on a practice green. I usually end up simply walking off the green "mumbling" to myself wondering why I ever took up the game in the first place.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator

There are plenty of people who will tell stories of "only needing a bogey" to break 80 or 70 or 90 on the 18th and leaving with a triple, too.

So I don't know that the 18th always produces good results. In fact, I'd be curious to see how the 18th features. I'd imagine many golfers actually score worse - largely because the 18th is often a hole where architects figure they have their last chance to put up a hole you'll remember, so it's often more difficult than some of the "interior" holes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are plenty of people who will tell stories of "only needing a bogey" to break 80 or 70 or 90 on the 18th and leaving with a triple, too. So I don't know that the 18th always produces good results. In fact, I'd be curious to see how the 18th features. I'd imagine many golfers actually score worse - largely because the 18th is often a hole where architects figure they have their last chance to put up a hole you'll remember, so it's often more difficult than some of the "interior" holes.

Case in point..... I shot 79 today, finishing double, double. Just 2 bad swings.....2 really bad swings. :~(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For me, there is nothing special about the final hole.    Perfect hole happens rather seldom, and randomly when I least expect it.

One of my home courses is very hilly and I walk most of the times.   I am exhausted by the time I reached the final hole (or final 3 holes).  My score reflects it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I like a par 5 as the last hole.  In most instances if I play the hole well I will have a wedge or short iron to the green and that brings a potential birdie or "easy" 2-putt par into the picture.  Very few courses end with a par 3 and that is a good thing in my book.  Most common ending is like iacas mentioned, a tough and/or picturesque par 4.  A course I frequently play ends with a par 4 that is a real struggle for me (447 yards) and there is rarely a feeling of serenity when I reach that hole (unless I was 2-up in the match at that point).

Brian Kuehn

as I said, coincidental but frequent.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Nothing mind boggling here and purely anecdotal:

What is it about the final hole in a round that often seems nearly perfect?  Just about everyone experiences that even during a horrifying round, it seems like everything comes together on the 18th.  Maybe because you are simply resigned, and thus more relaxed, not trying so hard to fix something, I don't know.............  Almost as deep as asking "What is your purpose in life?".

Like yesterday, long drive, down the middle, long fairway approach onto the middle of the green, saying to myself, "where in the hell did that come from?".

Oh well......that's Goff.

Nah.... It goes both ways.  On my home course, I've birdied the 18th (430 yard par 4) to cap a bad round, and I've triple bogied it after reaching the 18th tee at 1 under par.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm more of the fall apart on the 18th kinda guy.  I think it's just because I am often tired and my swing gets quirky.  The other week I was sitting in the middle of the 17th fairway needing par par to shoot 85 and have the best round I have ever had... well approach shot long and right.  Bogey.  18th hole, good solid strike off the tee but too far and into the bunker.  Play out of the bunker to the right rough, absolutely PURE 6 iron way over the green from 160 out lol.  Made double bogey and shot 88, only tying my best round ever.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Worst thing is 18 holes ending on a par 3.  How lame!!  Nothing like teeing it up at the 18th hole.  Ahh.  Or even the 1st, 2nd, 3rd...

Par 3 18 is the best, that way if you par it you can forget about the previous 17 holes of suck!

Nah.... It goes both ways.  On my home course, I've birdied the 18th (430 yard par 4) to cap a bad round, and I've triple bogied it after reaching the 18th tee at 1 under par.

Same here.  Most of the courses I play have either a hard/long par 4 or par 5 to finish. If I get par, then I played it well. The par 5 at my league course is long (565 from the back tee and 539 from the next) and is virtually impossible to reach in two with a strategic creek/marsh at 100 - 80. The green is elevated (at least one club) has three tiers and if the flag is up, it is a difficult putt.  I've seen putts come all the way back.  I have pared it twice this year but usually bogey.

I does feel good to play the last hole well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I would call it the "I only need so and so to shoot XXX" syndrome. You get to 18 after playing decent all day and remember you only need bogey to break some personal goal. Duck hook, hack out, thin, thin, chunk, three putt. On the other hand, there is that "Oh well, I ain't shooting 80 today" syndrome as well. playing like poop all day long and you don't care- you'll take your poison and wash it down with a mug at the bar. Stripe one, settle a medium iron to 6 feet and make your birdie. The inevitable "That will get you back tomorrow" line from a playing partner makes you want to stick a bunker rake through his ear.

Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!