IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

Golf in 28 degrees is a bold move, I like it.

I have a net in my garage.  It's OK down to about 15 degrees outside.  Then it gets uncomfortable.  I haven't tried to get on a course when it's lower than about 40, but I'm going to try that when the snow melts.

9 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Meh. My clubs are buried so deep in the shed, they may not come out until June. So many other things have me depressed right now, I don’t even care about winter weather. Let it freaking snow 3 feet for all I care. 

Bet it is all the damn politics. Can't let that play with your head so much.

And big no to three feet of snow. I got to drive through your burg on the way home.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Meh. My clubs are buried so deep in the shed, they may not come out until June. So many other things have me depressed right now, I don’t even care about winter weather. Let it freaking snow 3 feet for all I care. 

56 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

And big no to three feet of snow. I got to drive through your burg on the way home.

Can you imagine if Cincinnati and Kentucky got three feet of snow? They freak about two inches.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Can you imagine if Cincinnati and Kentucky got three feet of snow? They freak about two inches.

Don't really have to. It isn't much better up here. 

We get at least some snow every winter. Once in awhile we get a a good butt kicking. But it always seems like some people around here have never seen snow before.  Not sure what is better, the McGoos driving 5 mph, the nutcases going 85 mph or the breathless TV weather people talking "Snowmageddon" 

If Mother Nature would like to contain the White Death to the state up north, that's fine with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Roblar said:

So... I'm not knowledgeable about this, but I believe we can't play with frost because that damages the grass.  Why are sub-freezing rounds allowed?  Wouldn't the grass be damaged then too?  (And for the record, I'm happy to play in the mid-30s, but not when the wind is more than 20mph.)

8 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Good question.  I don't have a degree in agronomy but I think it's because if the turf freezes over night and then it's thawing out in the morning footsteps can do damage. But if it's hard frozen after several days apparently you're good to go.

When I lived in PA, I use to golf all winter as long as there were no snow covering the grass.  Ground was frozen solid like a concrete. 

One of the grounds keepers said once the ground is frozen solid, and the grass is dormant, it was okay to play.  It is when there is a frost on the grass and the grass has not entered dormant stage that you will damage the green.

I am no expert, but that is what I was told by a grounds keeper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I am playing in an inter-club match today. I know I won’t get any sympathy from the Northerners, but it’s 55° with nearly 20 mile an hour winds. That’s freaking cold for us!

Hoping that the relatively tough conditions and our home course advantage today will work in my favor…

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

30 minutes ago, David in FL said:

am playing in an inter-club match today. I know I won’t get any sympathy from the Northerners, but it’s 55° with nearly 20 mile an hour winds. That’s freaking cold for us!

That sounds like the weather I got when I played TPC Sawgrass years ago. 🙂

We Northerners would call that nippy because of the wind. If it's no wind then it's comfy. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

48 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I am playing in an inter-club match today. I know I won’t get any sympathy from the Northerners, but it’s 55° with nearly 20 mile an hour winds. That’s freaking cold for us!

Hoping that the relatively tough conditions and our home course advantage today will work in my favor…

FYI I would be wearing shorts and a pullover in those temps while playing golf.  

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

38 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I know I won’t get any sympathy from the Northerners, but it’s 55° with nearly 20 mile an hour winds. That’s freaking cold for us!

55 degrees in Florida? Bet the stores are sold out of the long johns, bread, bottled water and toilet paper. 

In all seriousness, it really is the wind that makes a massive difference in the winter. 40 and calm is doable. 50 and windy is pretty unpleasant. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, djake said:

FYI I would be wearing shorts and a pullover in those temps while playing golf.  

I would ditch the pullover after a few holes too!

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Not politics. Health 💩 I won’t be playing any time soon. Perhaps ever...

- Shane

On 12/5/2013 at 5:10 PM, MS256 said:

Shhhhhh! I'm not ready for that yet. Actually never.

I did play a round one time in Moberly, Missouri in January when the temp was around 10 degrees. I was bored and wondered if I could play or at least hit some balls.

There was nobody at the clubhouse but there was a sign that said "If you want to play put $10 in the box." So I did.

You're brave, my limit is 40* with no wind.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, CarlSpackler said:

Not politics. Health 💩 I won’t be playing any time soon. Perhaps ever...

Oh. That's not good.  You are too darn young for that kind of stuff. 

Hope things get better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Oh. That's not good.  You are too darn young for that kind of stuff. 

Hope things get better.

You would think so. Second go around with shingles before age of 50. 

- Shane

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Snow green, lol.

I should do that!

Scott

My Swing Thread

This has been one of the snowiest winters here in a long time. We've already surpassed the average snowfall for the entire season and there's 2 1/2 months to go.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread