IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

I think Kittyhawk (for all its other interesting features) drains particularly well. It's actually set up to serve some kind of function for the city water system. There are huge pits that at various points in the year can be full or empty. So the course was relatively dry, but there are a lot of places to lose golf balls.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just when I think I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, 8 more inches of snow. Ugh

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

I think Kittyhawk (for all its other interesting features) drains particularly well. It's actually set up to serve some kind of function for the city water system. There are huge pits that at various points in the year can be full or empty. So the course was relatively dry, but there are a lot of places to lose golf balls.

How is kittyhawk as far as playability i consider myself a more advanced golfer like challenging course i always see it on golf now but didnt know if drive was worth it.

Kittyhawk is nothing plush that's for sure. From views of the Cargill plant to octagonal-shaped, government-issue buildings, it's pretty blue collar. For a golfer like you, 8-12 handicap, it probably wouldn't be too tough. For me (shooting 90-100 on average), the Eagle course is a bear due to its length and the hazards (aka the pits of despair). The Hawk and Falcon (a par-3) are a little easier.

I consider the conditions to be ok most of the time, but I'm pretty used to muni golf. It's always a fight getting those ball marks fixed. One word of warning. It gets a lot of play, so a nice summer afternoon will see the place jammed and that can mean some really long rounds.

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/71391/winter-depression-thread/414#post_953776"]   We are coming into what we loving call, "mud season". It is close to 50° out and windy. It is slushy slick and mucky out... Not exactly better....yet. [/QUOTE] Nasty sticky stuff.  I'm not sure how long it will take for the tundra to melt.  We still have 8 - 12" on the ground here in MA. Even after it melts, it will be a while before the ground firms up.

We have 2.5 feet on the ground. I'll be shocked if I am playing in mid May up here.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

NH just had a stretch of maybe three days with warmish 40 degree temperatures, and now we are dipping back into the teens tonight... I just can't catch a break here.

We must harness the crystiles.

:tmade: Nubbins B7 Putter

:tmade: r7 460 Graphite Driver

NH just had a stretch of maybe three days with warmish 40 degree temperatures, and now we are dipping back into the teens tonight... I just can't catch a break here.

Was down in Portsmouth yesterday and it was pretty dreary. I guess up here in was sunny and nice. Zero degrees tonight.... which probably will actually be -10...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator

I'm just getting really sick and tired of being so cold so quickly. I walked the 100 yards from the back door of Golf Evolution to my car today. I had a pair of pants (admittedly, they're just Adidas ClimaCool or something), and a shirt, sweater, and jacket, and I was cold cold cold cold shivering by the time I got to my car.

I don't walk slowly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think we've turned the corner towards spring. We get lots of snow in Mar-Apr but the good days are getting warmer and it will melt fast. Only one day has snow in the forecast this week and according to our inept local news just a chance. Daylight savings is just two weeks away so fingers crossed. That said course conditions are crap and will remain that way until the grass comes back enough to mow. I 3-putted twice on what were arguably some of my best and closest GIR approach shots yesterday and it wasn't because I blew it, the greens are that bad, total wobble fest.

Dave :-)

I think we've turned the corner towards spring. We get lots of snow in Mar-Apr but the good days are getting warmer and it will melt fast. Only one day has snow in the forecast this week and according to our inept local news just a chance. Daylight savings is just two weeks away so fingers crossed. That said course conditions are crap and will remain that way until the grass comes back enough to mow. I 3-putted twice on what were arguably some of my best and closest GIR approach shots yesterday and it wasn't because I blew it, the greens are that bad, total wobble fest.

:pound::censored:

really? we can switch places?  though the greens are probably a wobble fest here in Massachusetts too, if you can find them under a foot of old snow....

really? we can switch places?  though the greens are probably a wobble fest here in Massachusetts too, if you can find them under a foot of old snow....

Yeah it's getting nicer by the day here, stays light until just after 6PM. It's 60 something today. Sat night we got a dusting of snow and it was burned off by noon Sun, courses opened around 1PM. I am a CO native so pretty good feel for the seasons and it seems more spring like than winter just in the last week or so. The mailman just walked in wearing shorts. The biggest problem is wind, nearly constant all of last week. Not enough to keep me away but enough to be a buzz kill on certain holes. Same with the greens I'll deal with it until late April-May or so when they come back. The below freezing temps at night keeps the grass dormant long enough that we'll suffer through aerification as soon as it perks up. Last year I didn't think the courses were in really good shape until June. By July I'll be bitching about drought.

Dave :-)

If it does not start getting warmer soon, I am going to have to start posting in the drinking thread. I can't take this anymore.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

ahhh...It was 60 on Saturday, a bearable 50 something yesterday...but snow still covered 10% of the ground...and it got to 32 today. forecast for the next 10 days..a high of 36 with intermittent snow...woo hoo.. I should have taken up golf when I lived in Atlanta or Pensacola. Because I would probably still live there...I'll just keep drinking...

If it does not start getting warmer soon, I am going to have to start posting in the drinking thread. I can't take this anymore.

I hear ya. I spoke with a few "old timers" and most can't remember a winter like this in a very long time.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator

I spoke with a few "old timers" and most can't remember a winter like this in a very long time.

http://xkcd.com/1321/

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They were playing this weekend here in No.VA, but the weather sucks for the next 10 days

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Since there's a heap full of snow on the ground, I have been practicing my swing indoors somewhat since I don't have high ceilings. I feel like I'm making strides and have gone outside and hit little balls if ice/snow. Feel good about it but really wish I could hit some balls.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

More bad news as another 'polar vortex' weather pattern is setting up over upper and lower midwest regions.  Low single-digit lows through the foreseeable future.  Weather guy, (local Cleveland guy who is pretty accurate) says the same / similar weather pattern is likely to hang on through mid-March with daytime high temps nowhere close to normal.

Sounds like it's just about time to jump a plane from CLE to Tampa for a few rounds of golf and some much needed early-season practice.  And my golf league begins April 3rd. This is shaping up to be miserable early golf season.  So much fun wearing long-johns, pants, 3 layers on top AND a jacket and hat to shoot 50 or worse!!!

Still working on prying my wife from NE Ohio and toward a warmer climate.  Wish me luck!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls