IGNORED

2014 WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

They asked him about his "top 5 in the world" comment they aired earlier in the day and he didn't back down from it. He thinks he's really really good, and it don't see a problem with it, because he is. Also, guys go the other way and say too much self deprecating stuff and we blast them for being phony. They can't win.

That's it? Wow. I don't think that's arrogant. Confidence is key, I think.

Side note: I went to college with this guy for a semester when I was a freshman. The Augusta State (now Georgia Regents) home course is right across the street from the campus apartments, and I'd see him every now and then when I'd go over to play. Pretty cool to see him winning on Tour now.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Confidence is saying when things are going right you can play with the best.  Arrogance is saying you're Top 5 when you haven't won a Major.  After he wins a few Majors then maybe he can claim to be Top 10.  I'm curious who he thinks is in the Top 5 with him.

Joe Paradiso

Confidence is saying when things are going right you can play with the best.  Arrogance is saying you're Top 5 when you haven't won a Major.  After he wins a few Majors then maybe he can claim to be Top 10.  I'm curious who he thinks is in the Top 5 with him.

Maybe Jason Day and Henrik Stensen.

That's silly, Luke Donald has been #1 in the world and he's never won a major.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I don't think he said he's one of he top-5 of all time. Has anyone earned more OWGR points than him in their last 15 events or so? Seems unlikely.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I don't think he said he's one of he top-5 of all time. Has anyone earned more OWGR points than him in their last 15 events or so? Seems unlikely.

I didn't say he did, he just said he's Top 5 in the world.  He's not Top 5 today either, unless you want to limit the evaluation to the short season we've had so far.  I don't consider him to be in Top 5 any more than I consider Jimmy Walker to be the #1 or Top 5.

Joe Paradiso

I didn't say he did, he just said he's Top 5 in the world.  He's not Top 5 today either, unless you want to limit the evaluation to the short season we've had so far.  I don't consider him to be in Top 5 any more than I consider Jimmy Walker to be the #1 or Top 5.

Well the point is you don't have to win multiple majors to be top-10 in the world. You don't have to win any. Just ask Lee Westwood, Luke Donald...

Kevin

Well the point is you don't have to win multiple majors to be top-10 in the world. You don't have to win any. Just ask Lee Westwood, Luke Donald...

Are you talking about rankings?  If you are, I agree.  If you talk about who the top players are overall, regardless of tour ranking, then you need a major to be in the mix.

Just because Jimmy Walker is #1 and Reed is #3 in FedEx right now doesn't mean they will be there at the end of the season or anyone really considers them Top 5 overall in the world.  For the record he's #20 in world ranking, not Top 5.

Joe Paradiso

What's figjam?

**** I'm Good, Just Ask Me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Confidence in yourself is a good thing, but declaring yourself as one of the top five golfers in the world isn't going to win any fan support for Reed. As they said on The Golf Channel, it certainly won't play well in the locker room. The gallery can be pretty tough on someone who makes a statement like this, especially if his game starts to head South. Don't know who rounds out his "top five" list, but every other pro now has a reason not to like this guy.

Are you talking about rankings?  If you are, I agree.  If you talk about who the top players are overall, regardless of tour ranking, then you need a major to be in the mix.

:hmm:

He said "I'm top-5 in the world."  That reflects his belief that he's among the five best players in the world.  I would have to assume he doesn't count Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer as among that group.  He didn't specifically reference OWGR, but it's possible he meant that he ought to be on that list.  What he probably meant is more abstract, like "I can beat anyone."

FWIW of the current top-10 in OWGR, three players have won 3 times since August:  Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson, and Zach Johnson.  That's pretty strong, and I'd say they all deserve to be called "top-X" however you define that.  I don't recall a time in recent memory where so many players were racking up multiple wins.  5 players in the current top-10 have multiple wins over the last half-year, and the 5 that HAVEN'T carded multiple wins includes names which I'm guessing would make your "top-10", however you're defining that.  (BTW Tiger, Phil, Rory, J. Rose, and D. Johnson are current top-10 OWGR players who have one or no wins over the last half-year.)

So, looking at those numbers, it looks like Patrick, with three wins since August, is right up there.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!