IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

Won't work if "IT" is "getting older"?

And he had surgery on his left knee as a Stanford student.

Exactly. Tiger's been dealing with injuries his whole career; it's just now that he's getting older it's become harder to get through them.

In terms of back injuries, they are unpredictable. I damaged my lower back playing football in high school and the pain comes and goes as it pleases. I can go weeks without a twinge but I woke up this morning with pain.

I thought I heard on the golf channel that Tiger's cleared to play this week at Bay Hill, so let's hope he's ready to go.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he really needs to make sure he's 100% ready to go for the master's. He seems to always be in contention there.

Tiger Woods pulls the plug on Arnie's tournament and I think it's the best choice for him longevity wise. Hopefully he'll be ready for the masters.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator

You never know. He could be retired at the end of the year.

Weirder shit has happened.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You never know. He could be retired at the end of the year. Weirder shit has happened.

That's a sad and scary thought but I cant say that I would be totally shocked either. I'd be totally 100% heartbroken, just not shocked.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

True.....one thing for sure though the golf channel will have a hay day with this news....., this could go on for weeks.

Hard to know if this was an isolated injury or one that's been brought on due to swing changes to compensate for his bad knee.  He can't torque the knee like he used to so the stress had to be placed somewhere else.

An injury like this could possibly cost him the season, and depending on the severity, his career.

Joe Paradiso

Hard to know if this was an isolated injury or one that's been brought on due to swing changes to compensate for his bad knee.  He can't torque the knee like he used to so the stress had to be placed somewhere else.

An injury like this could possibly cost him the season, and depending on the severity, his career.

Absolutely. Everyone keeps talking bout, he needs a couple/few weeks off to heal, well the truth is, it may take Months, or it could be like mine and never heal, all you can do is manage the pain. I hope Tiger's back can be healed in short time, and he can get back to playing, if not, I can totally understand.

• Administrator
Well look… he clearly thought he might play this week so signs point to him not thinking it's too serious.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well look… he clearly thought he might play this week so signs point to him not thinking it's too serious.

I hope your right.

I hope so too.  As you said, he thought he might play, but his season thus far has been plagued by injury.  He was forced to withdraw in his first tournament, played through severe pain in his second and now has withdrawn before the tournament started so it's not something that seems to be healing.

I'm sure he's focused on the Masters and doesn't want to sacrifice a shot at winning a Major by competing in a non-major (even if it is one he usually dominates) but he is going to have a tough time winning a major with a rusty swing and fear that one swing could cause his back to flare up again.

Joe Paradiso

Then the Greatest Player of All Time thread will never be resolved! ;-)

I'm sure he's focused on the Masters and doesn't want to sacrifice a shot at winning a Major by competing in a non-major (even if it is one he usually dominates) but he is going to have a tough time winning a major with a rusty swing and fear that one swing could cause his back to flare up again.

I think if there is one place he can win with a rusty swing it's Augusta. Hope he stays healthy.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Tiger is certainly drifting in the UK betting markets for Augusta as you'd expect.  Without any pain free golf in 2014, any hopes of winning at Augusta is pretty much fantasy land IMO.  It won't happen.  As said though, for me the concern is that Tiger will need to give his body time to recover, but more importantly he's going to have to accept that his old 'training' regime will need to change moving forward.  His body is finally telling him, it's time to adapt.

I don't think that he will "have" to retire. He may choose to if he feels like he can't perform at a level that satisfies him. It really depends on what causes the back to flare and if he can get it under control. Often pain affects some more than others. It doesn't look like his back can handle it at all.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Keep in mind a few things that have been reported:

1) A few weeks ago he tweeted that he experienced back pain & that its the same back pain he experienced at the Barclays last September.

2) Assuming at that point he looked into every option known to mankind, Pills, therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, yoga maybe even holistic therapy and stretching.

3) He had all winter to rest.

4) he was quoted he had weeks of down time away from clubs in late November and December.

5 He is only scheduled for 14 +2 euro tournaments, the same as last year.

6) Worst start of his career 2014 calendar year. Worse finishing rounds (sat and Sunday) of his career 2013 and 2014.

7) He has withdrawn (2) or had serious back problems 3 out of last 6 tourneys- beginning with Dubai in late January 2014.

My conclusion now is this likely won't be "just a couple of weeks rest", this could be status quo for a while.  Will he retire? Not likely, but professional athletes often state, "I'll walk away when I can't compete anymore". Tiger has often said it's all about the W. and the past few years he seems to smile less & less and grimace more while playing.

Every sport has athetes that play thru pain and yet others that seem to be more fragile for what ever reason.

I don't think he'll ever have to retire. Even if he has to have back surgery, he'll come back. However, if he does need surgery, it's going to pretty much cripple his chances of ever catching Jack's 18. He would have to take considerable time off and then come back and overhaul his swing where it takes less pressure off the back, which would be a lot given how much torque he puts on his back and how important it's been in his game.

Personally, I think he's trying to rest it in hopes of avoiding surgery because I think he knows that's a last option and worst case scenario, but it may end up coming to that.