IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

On 4/5/2016 at 8:28 PM, ChrisP said:

Not sure I would say golf is in a "better" place now. I do think it's in a "good" place, but it needs Spieth, Rory and Day to keep playing well, in particular Spieth. He has the ability to bring people to the TV. As for those who say they don't watch golf anymore because Tiger doesn't play, cry me a freaking river.

I've admitted that I'm no fan of Spieth but I highly doubt that golf needs Spieth in particular to play well to stay in a "good" place.

Maybe I'm misreading the golf public, but I really think for golf to be in a "good" place, what it needs is some competitive tournaments that regularly involve guys charismatic players like Day, Spieth, Rory, Fowler, etc.  If for some reason one of them falls off, I think it'd make the same "dent" to golf, regardless if it's Day, Spieth, Rory, Fowler, etc.  In other words, as long as the players are charismatic and regularly at the top of the leaderboard, regardless of who is it, golf will be in a good place.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/7/2016 at 1:10 PM, RFKFREAK said:

I've admitted that I'm no fan of Spieth but I highly doubt that golf needs Spieth in particular to play well to stay in a "good" place.

Maybe I'm misreading the golf public, but I really think for golf to be in a "good" place, what it needs is some competitive tournaments that regularly involve guys charismatic players like Day, Spieth, Rory, Fowler, etc.  If for some reason one of them falls off, I think it'd make the same "dent" to golf, regardless if it's Day, Spieth, Rory, Fowler, etc.  In other words, as long as the players are charismatic and regularly at the top of the leaderboard, regardless of who is it, golf will be in a good place.

I am losing optimism that Rickie is going to be a top star like the other 3. I think he'll win his fair share of tournaments, but I don't think he's going to be a ratings machine by any stretch. You need to win consistently and contend in majors consistently to get people interested. That's why Spieth is starting to get ESPN drooling over him. Fowler just doesn't do that.

Also, I don't know much about DeChambeau yet, but from what I've gathered about him so far, he has the personality and "quirkiness" that can really get people interested in him. Obviously he's a great golfer if he's done what Jack, Tiger and Phil have done (winning the US Am and NCAAs).

As for the topic at hand, I really hope to see Tiger at Oakmont this year. Going to the US Open in two months and expect to see him there. I think he'll make his debut this year at Jack's event.

Edited by ChrisP

Rickie is a good to very good golfer who has gained the majority of his fame from his look, non-golf related activities and clothing.  I don't think many people take him as seriously as they should because most of the time he's in the media it's about his pants and golf shoes not his golf game.

As Rickie gets older he's going to have to accept that if he's going to make money in this sport it's going to be with his golf clubs not his wardrobe.  

Joe Paradiso

13 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Rickie is a good to very good golfer who has gained the majority of his fame from his look, non-golf related activities and clothing.  I don't think many people take him as seriously as they should because most of the time he's in the media it's about his pants and golf shoes not his golf game.

As Rickie gets older he's going to have to accept that if he's going to make money in this sport it's going to be with his golf clubs not his wardrobe.  

Rickie Fowler 2014

$5,880,284 earned on the course
$8,750,000 in endorsements

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

29 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Couldn't agree more. And that's been his biggest issue...a lot of people say he doesn't put in the work. He's still a great golfer, but if he's going to be in that elite class of players, he needs to put in the time. I've heard from a couple people that he did not prep for Augusta very well this week.

30 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Rickie'll do just fine regardless of whether he becomes a super star. He's got a strong enough brand to make money regardless.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

On 4/5/2016 at 5:28 PM, ChrisP said:

Not sure I would say golf is in a "better" place now. I do think it's in a "good" place, but it needs Spieth, Rory and Day to keep playing well, in particular Spieth. He has the ability to bring people to the TV. As for those who say they don't watch golf anymore because Tiger doesn't play, cry me a freaking river.

You make a good point. Anyone who says they don't watch golf if Tiger isn't playing isn't a fan of the game. It's that simple. Look at all the great golf they missed this weekend, arguably one of the most exciting Masters in recent memory. The game is bigger than any one player.

8 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

You make a good point. Anyone who says they don't watch golf if Tiger isn't playing isn't a fan of the game. It's that simple. Look at all the great golf they missed this weekend, arguably one of the most exciting Masters in recent memory. The game is bigger than any one player.

I don't watch golf no matter who is playing and I'm a fan of the game.  

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Pendragon said:

You make a good point. Anyone who says they don't watch golf if Tiger isn't playing isn't a fan of the game. It's that simple.

That's one of the stupidest comments I've read here (it's been said by others before you).

For example, I spend 80-100 hours a week on golf. I teach golf, I write about golf, I read about golf, I make products for golf, I film videos about golf, I write code about golf, I teach other instructors, I review golf equipment… As it is I have little time left to watch golf, but when I do, a good chunk of those times happen to be when the greatest player (by a small margin) ever to play the game is playing. And you're gonna tell me I'm not a "fan of the game"?

Puh-lease.

You don't get to decide "how" other people have to be a fan of the game.

• Upvote 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/11/2016 at 8:16 AM, iacas said:

That's one of the stupidest comments I've read here (it's been said by others before you).

For example, I spend 80-100 hours a week on golf. I teach golf, I write about golf, I read about golf, I make products for golf, I film videos about golf, I write code about golf, I teach other instructors, I review golf equipment… As it is I have little time left to watch golf, but when I do, a good chunk of those times happen to be when the greatest player (by a small margin) ever to play the game is playing. And you're gonna tell me I'm not a "fan of the game"?

Puh-lease.

You don't get to decide "how" other people have to be a fan of the game.

Thanks for proving my point...well, actually it was ChrisP's point. I was just agreeing with him. There definitely are people who won't watch golf unless Tiger is playing. If you don't believe that, look in on the blog on TW's website. There's ample evidence over there.

And where did I say that you aren't a fan of the game? Of course you're a fan...your entire life revolves around golf. How could you not be a fan? You may not have the time to watch as much golf as you'd like, but you're not consciously choosing to avoid watching it just because Tiger isn't playing at the moment. I hope you had the opportunity to watch at least some of the Masters this past weekend, because it was great stuff. For the last few hours, I couldn't take my eyes off the TV...because, just like you, I'm a fan of the game. Gee, it's almost like we're brothers, huh? :-)

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

And where did I say that you aren't a fan of the game?

You said it:

On April 11, 2016 at 0:31 AM, Pendragon said:

You make a good point. Anyone who says they don't watch golf if Tiger isn't playing isn't a fan of the game. It's that simple.

According to you, if I choose to watch golf (and forego the other countless golf-related things I do) just because or only when Tiger is playing, I'm "not a fan of the game."

That's bollocks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

You said it:

According to you, if I choose to watch golf (and forego the other countless golf-related things I do) just because or only when Tiger is playing, I'm "not a fan of the game."

That's bollocks.

Once again you misquote me (and ChrisP). A simple question can help us resolve this. Have you watched any PGA event...or LPGA event...or Champions Tour event... that's been televised since late last August? I'm guessing that's a "yes". If so, you've proven yourself to be a fan of the game because you've watched one or more golf tournaments on TV even though Tiger Woods wasn't playing in any of them.

See, if you read things without an agenda, it makes it a whole lot simpler. Isn't it great to be a fan of such a great game?

• Upvote 2

Woods over 25 strokes gained against the field... twice.

CgZ9tmOWcAA2Qtq.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

According to Rosaforte: Woods practicing in more protracted sessions. 4-5 hours.

Golf Digest's Tim Rosaforte reported on Tuesday that Woods has been stepping up his practice over the past two weeks with a series of four-to-five hour practice sessions at Medalist Golf Club that have included Woods playing holes at his home course. Rosaforte also said he's been told Woods "looked great, was talking to everybody in an upbeat mood, couldn’t have been happier.”

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-tiger-woods-stepping-up-his-practice-schedule

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

According to Rosaforte: Woods practicing in more protracted sessions. 4-5 hours.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-tiger-woods-stepping-up-his-practice-schedule

I'm too lazy to go back and post the previous articles about how great tiger is looking in practice lol.. Don't these people ever get tired of posting the same stuff over and over?  I'll just wait and see when he plays to make a judgement on how he looks, as should they.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad