IGNORED

Golfer's Elbow

Cuz
Note: This thread is 1879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been dealing with my first ever issue of tennis elbow this summer.  It has really set me back in golf.  It is really hard to finish the golf swing when you know its going to hurt.  I really feel for the touring pros and the fact that they hit gobs of golf balls everyday.  I don't really know how they do it.  

Anyhow, I do a lot of pushups and pullups for exercise but I also play a lot of golf.  This year I got tennis elbow in my left arm really bad and a slight version of golfers elbow in the right arm.  ugh...it is a horrible injury to deal with if you are a golfer.  My doc said its a combination of too many pullups/pushups, golfing, and simply age.  

I have been fighting it for the better part of 10 weeks now.  I just started exploring various remedies.  I couldn't believe it, but the elbow straps provide almost instant relief.   Not the compression sleeves, but the actual straps.  I am not sure that it is a cure, but I think it takes pressure off the damaged tendon/muscle and allows it to heal.  Since I started wearing the straps the pain has subsided quite a bit.  You can also play golf while wearing it.  

Anyone dealing with this horrible infliction, I highly recommend getting some straps.  https://amzn.to/2MbZSyn

I’ve been using one and it does help some.  Had to have a shot in elbow a month ago and it has helped the most.  Still have some pain but hopefully getting better.  It has bothered me for 8 months.  About 2 months ago one of my tendons from shoulder to bicep snapped. Now have popeye muscle. 

On 8/12/2018 at 7:51 AM, Nutsmacker said:

I have been fighting it for the better part of 10 weeks now.  I just started exploring various remedies.  I couldn't believe it, but the elbow straps provide almost instant relief.   Not the compression sleeves, but the actual straps.  I am not sure that it is a cure, but I think it takes pressure off the damaged tendon/muscle and allows it to heal.  Since I started wearing the straps the pain has subsided quite a bit.  You can also play golf while wearing it.  

Anyone dealing with this horrible infliction, I highly recommend getting some straps.  https://amzn.to/2MbZSyn

I had tennis elbow flare up last year pretty bad.  I got it manageable by taking some NASIDs but also bought one of those straps.  I only use it when I hit balls...not when I play.  After a year, I don't even have the issue any more but I'm still using the strap when I hit balls (I hit a LOT of them) to make sure it doesn't flare up again.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get this too. I have some bend at the top of my backswing and i always thought the soreness came from me snapping the lead arm back into place at impact. But i dont really know the medical reason why the soreness happens.  The only remedy I've found for it really is rest. 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, Vinsk said:

Really don’t need to see a doctor unless you have obvious swelling of the elbow, redness and/or fever, can’t bend your arm, or you’re experiencing numbness/tingling radiating down or up your arm. 

Gemtle forearm strengthening by squeezing a tennis ball, NSAIDS as needed and even some cryotherapy alternating with heat can help as well.  

Resting the elbow is of course beneficial but who wants to do that? Lol. Also, make sure your form is proper so that you’re not causing this problem by a technical error. Cheers.

I agree with above, I used to get golfers/tennis elbow in my left elbow all the time but now I work on strengthening my forearms more and have not had any problems since.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Currently am dealing with it in my right elbow (right handed swing).  I bought a copper compression band designed for golfers elbow and its made a big difference while playing.  Part of my issue is the amount of weightlifting I do as well.  Just going to deal with it until it gets too cold to play and let it heal on its own.  Ice and rest are the two best treatments for do at home healers like myself.  Do not see any need to see a doctor or physical therapist.  If I was a tour player then I may feel differently.

Now, if you let it go on for a really long time then there is a chance you can develop scar tissue that could cause permanent damage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 8:04 AM, NCGolfer said:

I had tennis elbow flare up last year pretty bad.  I got it manageable by taking some NASIDs but also bought one of those straps.  I only use it when I hit balls...not when I play.  After a year, I don't even have the issue any more but I'm still using the strap when I hit balls (I hit a LOT of them) to make sure it doesn't flare up again.

That sounds like a good idea.  I have noticed that the pain kind of comes and goes in waves.  I have my girlfriend massage the heck out of my arm to the point wear tears are ready to come out of my eyes before I play golf, and it definitely takes a lot of the agony away.  However, when I am completely stagnant...the pain tends to get worse.  There definitely seems to be a fine line of giving it a rest and also keeping the area moving and warmed up.  Too much work for that poor elbow is going to make it worse...but doing nothing also seems to make it worse.

I believe what I have is technically considered tennis elbow, based upon where I feel the pain. In my effort to keep my lead elbow facing down and keeping the arm straight I am putting to much strain on it. So recently I began relaxing the arm more and not worrying about how straight it is.

Applying a bit of arnica gel, rest, and wearing a brace all help.

Been having tennis elbow issues for over a year now mainly because of my day job where Its a hard labor Fishing job with huge Knife work Hours some 23yrs ..around 140days of the year..

then add in my GOLF mountain biking. motoX and now age as 40yrs old and my Doc just thinks I need to give away my seasonal job have had one injection which lasted 5 months was great .. but was told it isn't as effective the 2nd/3rd time too it's pretty much pointless having it.

Was hoping I could get Surgery to Fix but my Doc doesn't believe it can be fixed ??

Major Pain in the ass to this very active guy 

I use elbow strap- Ice pack - heat - stretching -supplements 

Go Foxy Go

Tennis elbow surgery improves pain and movement in 80-90% of people who have it.

Anyone had the surgery ?? results how long till you couldplay again

Go Foxy Go

6 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

Been having tennis elbow issues for over a year now mainly because of my day job where Its a hard labor Fishing job with huge Knife work Hours some 23yrs ..around 140days of the year..

then add in my GOLF mountain biking. motoX and now age as 40yrs old and my Doc just thinks I need to give away my seasonal job have had one injection which lasted 5 months was great .. but was told it isn't as effective the 2nd/3rd time too it's pretty much pointless having it.

Was hoping I could get Surgery to Fix but my Doc doesn't believe it can be fixed ??

Major Pain in the ass to this very active guy 

I use elbow strap- Ice pack - heat - stretching -supplements 

I started using the flexbarand doing the therapy exercises everyday.  I have noticed it helps.  Its surprising that doing an exercise actually improves the condition.  I have been doing it for a week and they say give it 3 to 4 weeks before you start to see a good deal of improvement.  However, I do feel better after using it.  

I think for myself, I like to do a lot of pull ups and pushups for exercise.  I also drive probably 30 hours a week and of course, like to play golf.  I also turned 40 years of age and almost immediately got the infliction right after my birthday.  The doctor mentioned that it starts to crop up at 40 years.   Great....

Anyhow, I will let you know how I feel after about a month of using the flexbar.

Long term - get graphite shafts now to relieve this pain and potential shoulder issues in the future. Lots of great options are available. Recoil, Aerotech Steelfiber, Accra Tour i, Mitsubishi ... almost everyone has high quality graphite aftermarket shafts.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I got kind of the same problem. Right elbow (trail elbow) but I have no pain during the swing. I think I might have done it by picking up balls with the wedge on the practice range...

• 1 month later...

well haven't been able to play golf for some time and not sure if I'll take up another membership at my local GC till its fixed or least understood the whole right arm esp around elbow in constant pain with even minor movement aka even typing this !! 

And I've been pretty much resting it 24/7 for the last 4weeks and not even a little better if not worse

-Massage anti-flam

-heat / cool 

-tens machine

-brace/straps(sleeping every night in a brace)

supplements every morning but still every morning wake up with stiff elbow joint 

Go Foxy Go

45 minutes ago, NZ Golfer said:

well haven't been able to play golf for some time and not sure if I'll take up another membership at my local GC till its fixed or least understood the whole right arm esp around elbow in constant pain with even minor movement aka even typing this !! 

And I've been pretty much resting it 24/7 for the last 4weeks and not even a little better if not worse

-Massage anti-flam

-heat / cool 

-tens machine

supplements every morning but still every morning wake up with stiff elbow joint 

You might be at the point to see a doc. If you’re against a steroid injection you could at least get an MRI to see if there is a surgical option for your case. I do injections for people often for this and the vast majority see good results but it may be temporary.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

-Massage anti-flam

-heat / cool 

-tens machine

Here's what happened to me after months of elbow pain.  My right shoulder tendon snapped (called long tendon) from the shoulder to the bicep.  Now I have a popeye bicep muscle.  When I went to the doctor about the shoulder tendon he suggested I have a steroid shot for my elbow.  Don't know if the tendon snapping had anything to do with the elbow pain.  After a few weeks the elbow improved and I have been playing painlessly since.  Decided not to have tendon repaired and it hasn't affected my game at all.  Actually it doesn't hurt except on rare occasion when using a screwdriver or some tool when your hand goes from palm down to palm up.  I do still wear the elbow elastic band.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:10 PM, NZ Golfer said:

-Massage anti-flam

-heat / cool 

-tens machine

there is a fine line of giving it rest, and keeping it mobile.  I would suggest using the therabar as a PT treatment to help strengthen the muscles and tendons.  Go out for some cardio, swimming, pilates, etc.  I think it will help and just cut golf out for now.

Note: This thread is 1879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!