IGNORED

Bubba Watson....Fan or not a fan?

inthehole
Note:Β This thread is 2930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

10 members have voted

1. 1. Bubba - fan or not ??

• Yes
    • No

Has anyone posted this link yet? I actually gained aΒ lotΒ more respect for Bubba while watching this video. Please, ignore the stupid "Bubba leaves generous tip" part of the article and skip to the video. He's actually really likable in my opinion. I was previously 50/50 on him, but I'd say I'm won over as a Bubba fan completely.

Bubba surprises Golf Channel with a Green Jacket visit.

Interesting story with his caddie on the last hole.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like him, he seems to be pretty down to earth and doesn't try to please anyone but himself. He appears to be a family man and I like the fact that his swing is his own.
In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -Β  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges -Β X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird
Β 

Β 

You gotta like Bubba

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Soooooo question? Why for so many does the fact that the caddie makes a huge profitable living off Bubba defend or explain away his behavior (bubbas) on course? So let's say someone rich approaches you and says I'd like to hire you I'm going to bring you around with me in public and I'm going to crap on you a little early drop my pants and crap right on your face I will curse you I will berate you I will probably beat and humiliate you but guess what I'll pay you a million dollars a year does that mean it's still okay obviously I'm not saying that's exactly what Bubba's done to this guy but explain away rude belittling behavior where he whines and complains and puts all the faults on the county's shoulders so often on TV I'm sorry I don't care that the guy gets compensated well yes he could quit obviously he chooses to do it but to defend Bubba in anyway I'm sorry to me he's got fantastic talent Inc and hip amazing shots but the guy is a jerk

Soooooo question?

Why for so many does the fact that the caddie makes a huge profitable living off Bubba defend or explain away his behavior (bubbas) on course?

So let's say someone rich approaches you and says I'd like to hire you I'm going to bring you around with me in public and I'm going to crap on you a little early drop my pants and crap right on your face I will curse you I will berate you I will probably beat and humiliate you but guess what I'll pay you a million dollars a year does that mean it's still okay obviously I'm not saying that's exactly what Bubba's done to this guy but explain away rude belittling behavior where he whines and complains and puts all the faults on the county's shoulders so often on TV I'm sorry I don't care that the guy gets compensated well yes he could quit obviously he chooses to do it but to defend Bubba in anyway I'm sorry to me he's got fantastic talent Inc and hip amazing shots but the guy is a jerk

The pressure of the sport is really high, and it seems like there needs to be some outlet for that pressure so it does not manifest itself in other things.

What do the people whom you respect do for their outlet?

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As a person he seems awesome, but when it comes to his work ethic regarding golf I have to say no. Golf is supposed to be fun, but professional athele in no sport should say ''I don't like routines, it makes this feel like work'' even if it stands true.

Anyone who cant hit a driver - driver - putterΒ and make eagle on the 18th (which tournament was this ?) Β to win has my vote. Id love to drive it like bubba . I like his chirpiness too.

I thought Bubba showed a higher level of maturity during and after his second Masters win. I was a fan of his golf, but not him. Based on his most recent behavior, I will keep an open mind.

Anyone who cant hit a driver - driver - putterΒ and make eagle on the 18th (which tournament was this ?) Β to win has my vote. Id love to drive it like bubba . I like his chirpiness too.

Kapalua Tournament of ChampionsΒ on Maui two years ago. Β I don't think he won the tournament though, but it was a hell of a shot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Its irrelevant whether Bubba has 'likeability' or not. Ted Bundy had great likeability. T.V. uses a very shallow measurement and then makes it a big deal. Charm is often just fake. Is Phil loved amongst his peers? I'm not so sure. Watson is a gamer. He's dead serious and hair trigger competitive. Some find this appealing, others don't. He also suffers from white trash complex. He is not educated and he is not a Southern aristocrat. His family was marginal and working class. He is tough and he bridles easily as a result. That's the chip on his shoulder. So many of the guys on the Tour come from nanny backgrounds. There is a huge difference between a country club kid and a the guy across the railroad tracks. His high hands style, big turn and floating heel are all from the 70s and 80s the irony being that they reflect more the classic style. Its only in how his lead foot steps away in the follow thru that he is home made. And this has and will continue to help him avoid injury to that side on his drives. Players that are still snapping their leading knees at impact and hyper extending that leg probably know what I'm referring to.

Bubba is not educated? I am pretty sure he is a graduate of the University of Georgia.

[quote name="buddhabob" url="/t/73900/bubba-watson-fan-or-not-a-fan/162#post_979969"]Its irrelevant whether Bubba has 'likeability' or not. Ted Bundy had great likeability. T.V. uses a very shallow measurement and then makes it a big deal. Charm is often just fake. Is Phil loved amongst his peers? I'm not so sure. Watson is a gamer. He's dead serious and hair trigger competitive. Some find this appealing, others don't. He also suffers from white trash complex. He is not educated and he is not a Southern aristocrat. His family was marginal and working class. He is tough and he bridles easily as a result. That's the chip on his shoulder. So many of the guys on the Tour come from nanny backgrounds. There is a huge difference between a country club kid and a the guy across the railroad tracks. His high hands style, big turn and floating heel are all from the 70s and 80s the irony being that they reflect more the classic style. Its only in how his lead foot steps away in the follow thru that he is home made. And this has and will continue to help him avoid injury to that side on his drives. Players that are still snapping their leading knees at impact and hyper extending that leg probably know what I'm referring to. [/quote] In my book he is educated in all the right places, family, fun, giving back, religious, honest, honorable and loyal. He doesn't try to be something he isn't.

Bubba is not educated? I am pretty sure he is a graduate of the University of Georgia.

From his website:

"Although Bubba was a standout left-handed pitcher in high school, he chose to stick with golf and received a golf scholarship to the University of Georgia where he helped lead the Bulldogs to an SEC title in 2000. In 2001, a year away from graduating, Bubba decided to turn professional and went on to lead the Tour in driving distance multiple years in a row."

I'm a fan. I love his swing. I think as far as combinations of power and accuracy go, his swing is the unattainable ideal, more so than anyone I've ever seen in the history of golf really. Obviously, being the greatest player he certainly is not, but as far as raw swings go, wow. I seriously love whenever he's in contention because win or lose, it's exciting to watch him smash balls.

I also love and am in awe of the fact he's never had a lesson. That is simply astounding to me, and yes, I believe him when he says this. I don't think college golf instructors, by and large, are swing instructors. I never played college golf, but it seems like a pretty sink or swim environment to me. Is golf all about mechanics? No of course not. But my definition of a lesson is anything that has to do with changing someone's mechanics. So I'm differentiating from a "playing lesson" which I'm sure he's had, just with his caddy, every time he plays. I'm sure Ted Scott has given him endless course management tips over the years, as has his high school and college golf coaches.

But in terms of mechanics, I believe him when he says no one has ever laid a finger on that.

As a person, okay, he leaves a lot to be desired, I admit. He does appear on the surface at times to be an emotionally stunted man child of epic proportions. Buuuuuuut, I'm willing to let that slide I think. His swing is just so incredible. Man, I covet it. Plus, it's so fun to study in slow motion because he kind of exaggerates a lot of universal pieces. Plus, he's scrawny as hell... makes you wonder about where power really comes from.

Constantine

Its irrelevant whether Bubba has 'likeability' or not. Ted Bundy had great likeability. T.V. uses a very shallow measurement and then makes it a big deal. Charm is often just fake. Is Phil loved amongst his peers? I'm not so sure. Watson is a gamer. He's dead serious and hair trigger competitive. Some find this appealing, others don't. He also suffers from white trash complex. He is not educated and he is not a Southern aristocrat. His family was marginal and working class. He is tough and he bridles easily as a result. That's the chip on his shoulder. So many of the guys on the Tour come from nanny backgrounds. There is a huge difference between a country club kid and a the guy across the railroad tracks. His high hands style, big turn and floating heel are all from the 70s and 80s the irony being that they reflect more the classic style. Its only in how his lead foot steps away in the follow thru that he is home made. And this has and will continue to help him avoid injury to that side on his drives. Players that are still snapping their leading knees at impact and hyper extending that leg probably know what I'm referring to.

His style is primarily his own. I wouldn't call it 70's or 80's style.

What helps him avoid injury isn't a homemade swing. Its mostly the fact that he is very flexible. Also, Bubba does straighten his knee. Yet what he does do is allows his foot to rotate through impact taking the torque off he knee. You'll see him keep that foot planted on wedge shots, yet with the driver he allows it to rotate as he goes into the finish.Β Not many people really snap there knees, by snap I mean what Tiger did earlier in his career. Does the knee go straight, some more than others. Some might maintain some flex, some might really snap it. I wouldn't say it is a generic trait of all PGA tour golfers.

As for Bubba I am huge fan. He does have a bit of a temper, but oh well. He's honest, and he seems to be a down to earth guy. I mean his press conference were he talks about his son, and how he put his son first above golf for that first year, taking tournaments off. It really spoke to the fact he has his priorities straight. I do get he does put himself down a bit too much. I think he needs to be more positive in the long run, but he seems to be a great place in his life right now. I hope he wins a ton more tournaments.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Ok. I like Spieth and Bubba. The only thing I have about Spieth...not his fault...is the silver spoon syndrome. Not necessarily a negative thing, but I have a little more respect for the kids who played on munis' growing up and using a Saturday morning garage sale set of clubs in a Sunday bag that would drop its pants when set in the rack. Spieth , like Davis Love III , comes from a wealthy family who probably paid for whatever he needed to continue pursuing golf. I'm betting his first set of clubs was a name brand. Not saying his character is flawed at all. Just saying those kids who didn't have sponsors and wealthy parents paving the way well....earn it just a little more.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

In my book he is educated in all the right places, family, fun, giving back, religious, honest, honorable and loyal. He doesn't try to be something he isn't.

You mean he's educated in self promotionΒ and covering up the fact that he's a big phony.

His Twitter thingy - "Christian. Husband. Father. Golfer." Utter sanctimonious self promotion.Β  Enough to make one vomit.

Fun? Β When? Where? Β -Β in his Oakley ads which the average viewer thinks are home videos of him having "fun"?

He's the most dour player on the course.

Religious? How is that a positive? You mean gullibleΒ and naive.

Honest?Β Honorable? Loyal? What - and other playersΒ aren't? These are hardly rare characteristics.

But his "Bubba golf" thingΒ is total BS. He talks it but doesn't do it. He does try to be something he isn't.

He loves his sonΒ - what an incredibly rare, strange and unusual thing that is. Never seen or heard of it before. Amazing. He's one in a billion.

BTW Β and FWIW - I thought his first Masters victory was an anomaly Β - but he was very impressive the second time round. He deserved it and I'm happy for him.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!