IGNORED

What is your biggest pet peeve you see people doing on the golf course?

PA Golf Info
Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All of the above, plus people dropping the pin on the green like it's a tree falling. Lay it down nicely.

Really?  That bothers you?  I could see if people are doing it while you are trying to putt, but I've seen this done 1000 times, probably done it myself 500 of those times, and have yet to ever see it leave a mark.

(For the record, I don't really do it anymore.  If we're not in the dead center of a large green, I'll just drop it on the fringe.  If we're on the green, I'll grab it by the end of the flag, "drop it" such that it's a foot off the ground, and then let go.)

:-P

Nothing really bothers me all that mcuh during golf (except countless things that my dad does, but that is a topic for a whole "nother" thread.  Right @boil3rmak3r ??) :beer:

But last week my F-I-L and I got paired up with this really friendly gentleman for a round and he was one of those guys that had trouble keeping track of his ball.  Either he forgot to watch it as it flew, or had bad depth perception, or whatever.  On the first hole, after slicing two drives into the cactus (one of which hit a rock and bounded back into the fairway) he drove over to my ball (50 yards past where either of his balls could have possibly ended up) and checked to see if it was his.

That was no big deal, but what was kind of grating was the fact that instead of just looking at it, he, without hesitation, reached down and picked it up, then saw that it wasn't his, and dropped it back down.

On another hole, I was pitching from just off the green and lay my other wedge and my putter on the green near the edge of the green, and after he marked his ball while it was my turn, I saw him walk over to my clubs and he reached down with his putterhead and hooked the shaft of the wedge and moved it over off the putter a few inches.  Some random dude just touched another guys clubs ... for no apparent reason!!  Who does that???

Like I said, he was perfectly friendly and overall a decent partner (albeit, a horrendous golfer) but a few of the things he did were just plain odd.

Bottom line:  If you want to play golf with me and you are not my wife ... please don't touch my balls or my shaft.  Thank you very much.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have seen flags leave marks if they have a ball on top, I think it's called a truk. Really depends how heavy they are and how soft the greens are. Not a common occurrence though. People chewing up the hole putting it back in now that's common.

Dave :-)

Folks who are either too lazy or too fat to bend over and pick their ball from the cup; they instead fish the ball out using the blade of their putter! :no:

If one is physically challenged to where one cannot bend over and pick up the ball from the cup, get one of those suction cup devices that attach to the grip of your putter so as to avoid damaging the hole.

If one is simply too lazy, find another game - one that does not require respect for the grounds or for others! :pound:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Folks who are either too lazy or too fat to bend over and pick their ball from the cup; they instead fish the ball out using the blade of their putter!

If one is physically challenged to where one cannot bend over and pick up the ball from the cup, get one of those suction cup devices that attach to the grip of your putter so as to avoid damaging the hole.

If one is simply too lazy, find another game - one that does not require respect for the grounds or for others!

God I HATE THAT!!!! Go buy one of those attachments for the back of your putter for christ sakes. They are like dirt cheap, little piece of rubber thing. It can suction the top of the ball and lift it out. I understand some people can't bend over any more. This guy on my dad's golf trip can hardly pick the ball out of the hole sometimes. He's an old war veteran and just has a hard time getting around. He sometimes does the hole, stick the putter head into the hole thing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hackers playing from the tournament or combo tee's.

And low handicap golfers that pressure hackers into playing from the back tee's , so they either feel superior, or not inconvenienced.

People who won't get off the green.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

I will add over use of range finders, someone that ranges every shot all the time, and does it slowly, makes me roll my eyes.

Frankly I enjoy estimating  the distance, based on the yardage pin, the hole flag placement relative to the center, and the angle of my shot respective to indicators. I can usually get to within 2 or 3 yards of what the range finders dudes tell me.

Distance estimating and club selection is part of the game skill in my view. Range finders are for the lazy, in my opinion.

I will add over use of range finders, someone that ranges every shot all the time, and does it slowly, makes me roll my eyes.

Frankly I enjoy estimating  the distance, based on the yardage pin, the hole flag placement relative to the center, and the angle of my shot respective to indicators. I can usually get to within 2 or 3 yards of what the range finders dudes tell me.

Distance estimating and club selection is part of the game skill in my view. Range finders are for the lazy, in my opinion.

Sure let me go pace off every distance to the hole and back. That way I can double check my distance. Or I can just use my range finder.

Is this also why professional golfer's caddies use rangefinders? Just saying, the best of the best use them to develop their yardage books. So not really a skill anyways the pro's use.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

People should never cry about lining up putts, especially when it's about 3 foot, I put the ball in the hole everytime, I see some of my friends trying to take putts, when I've seen them miss the same putt many, many times.

I've got a little question for some of you , I play with the same few friends all the time, we never play for money, and I've never been beaten by them, I've had some close scores, but never lost.  I don't really take pride in it, because I know I'm not beating good players, so it makes no odds, but..... they don't play proper rules, no stroke and distance, mulligans, drops all over the place from the water etc taking putts which they shouldn't.  If you got beat, would you guys call them out, or just let them feel like they've won? I say this because there's been times when they've been level etc. going into the last couple of holes, and I once had a playoff, which was fun.

I never act smug and try to be as humble as I can be when playing sports, they know I'm good, and they really want to beat me.

These guys are very good friends btw, so nothing is awkward etc.

Heh.  I'm in the same situation with one of my two groups of golf buddies.  I'd call them out only if they bragged about it, but I'd have to take note of how well they followed the basic rules that day.

"Witty golf quote."

Biggest pet peeve of mine is not fixing your ball mark on the green. Happens way too much. Yeah, yeah, maybe I should start playing nicer courses, but still. It's not that hard to do, and it prevents other golfers from having to putt over a divot that doesn't get repaired properly.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMan View Post

Biggest pet peeve of mine is not fixing your ball mark on the green. Happens way too much. Yeah, yeah, maybe I should start playing nicer courses, but still. It's not that hard to do, and it prevents other golfers from having to putt over a divot that doesn't get repaired properly.

One of the courses I play regularly it got so bad, that the staff went to the first hole and putt a flag on every ball mark, and they told the members they couldn't pull the flags until they fixed the ball mark on that flag.  The whining and crying was terrible.

That one green looked like a flag convention.

Seemed like a great way to make a point though.

One of those things where it's really easy to handle if done as we go, but gets out of hand if let pass too long.

Quote:
Snowfly - I will add over use of range finders, someone that ranges every shot all the time, and does it slowly, makes me roll my eyes.

that fact that you like to do it manually is great.  the idea that when other people do it and you let that bother you.......frankly, is just messed up.

HOWEVER, that's pretty much the definition of peeves, I guess.

Bill - 

One of the courses I play regularly it got so bad, that the staff went to the first hole and putt a flag on every ball mark, and they told the members they couldn't pull the flags until they fixed the ball mark on that flag.  The whining and crying was terrible.

That one green looked like a flag convention.

Seemed like a great way to make a point though.

One of those things where it's really easy to handle if done as we go, but gets out of hand if let pass too long.

that fact that you like to do it manually is great.  the idea that when other people do it and you let that bother you.......frankly, is just messed up.

HOWEVER, that's pretty much the definition of peeves, I guess.

I came off as a bit more harsh than I intended.

I get using them, but when I'm playing behind a foresome and each cart is using one, and they stop the cart between the two balls, range finder guy walks over to one ball, gets the distance, and not always quickly, then walks over to his partners ball, does the same, then each go back to the cart and take mulitple clubs to the ball.....thats the most recent case of what bothered me. It was quite the circus. Since then I have been a bit down on range finders.

Oh yeah on the pars 5's they were using the range finders on the second shoot, they were 250 from the hole, no way was the green acheivable for them, but range find away they did.

I came off as a bit more harsh than I intended.

I get using them, but when I'm playing behind a foresome and each cart is using one, and they stop the cart between the two balls, range finder guy walks over to one ball, gets the distance, and not always quickly, then walks over to his partners ball, does the same, then each go back to the cart and take mulitple clubs to the ball.....thats the most recent case of what bothered me. It was quite the circus. Since then I have been a bit down on range finders.

Oh yeah on the pars 5's they were using the range finders on the second shoot, they were 250 from the hole, no way was the green acheivable for them, but range find away they did.

Range finders gonna range find.

Sounds like they just wanted to play with them as much as possible.

Can't imagine much worse than a par 5 hero with a range finder.

My biggest pet peeve as a newbie is playing with someone who tells me 25 different things to do to fix my game while playing the round. By the time my round is over my head is spinning.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Heh.  I'm in the same situation with one of my two groups of golf buddies.  I'd call them out only if they bragged about it, but I'd have to take note of how well they followed the basic rules that day.

We should play handicaps really, but even then, they wouldn't give themselves an accurate one because they always take mulligans and drops for OBs, so if we played proper rules I'd still beat them easily.  One of my friends thinks his best score is around 88, but it's not really because he will have lost 3 balls, took 2 mulligans, dropped on the wrong side of the lake and took a couple of 3 foot putts

Sometimes I try to drop a hint that they should play the proper rules, but they don't think they should.

I'd like to help them improve, but I don't want to be that guy, so I have to just let them get on with it.

One is having lessons actually, and I think they are working.

Unless someone really has control of their distances, I hate it when people use their range-finder for nearly every shot. Even without pacing off distances, it's usually pretty easy to tell how far away you are within 5 yards or so, and no one I play with has accuracy to within 5 yards.  Every once in a while? Sure. Every shot?  ....pet-peeve.

I also like to play ready golf, and, apart from the tees, I hate it when my playing partners try to play 'honors'.

And while I'm okay with people taking a practice swing or two, I can't handle three or more --- especially if it is for every shot.

...but the biggest one of all is:  when someone lines up a ball, takes two or three practice swings, addresses the ball, and then stands up, and starts lining up the ball and taking more practice swings again !  (And my regular playing partner does this frequently. Grrrr.....)

People who don't rake traps, fix ball marks, or repair divots. Every time I play a public course, I end up in somebody's footprint in a trap.

Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!