• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
Gary L

How much do you adjust your adjustable driver?

Gary L    4

I have an old non-adjustable driver I still like, but can't help wondering about the fancy new adjustable stuff on the market today.  It seems like it could help if you know what you're doing, but could be a curse if you're constantly adjusting it after every bad shot.

hilmar2k    7
I picked up a used R-1 this off-season and tweaked it a few times. I've pretty much settled on a setting now.

DeadMan    223

I've had an R1 for a year now. I've only adjusted the loft between 9.5 and 10.5 a couple of times. Sometimes when I struggle with wildness with the driver for a while, I'll bump it up to 10.5, which seems to help for some reason. But, I don't move the face angle around from neutral. And I don't know that I'd recommend screwing with the face angle, because I feel like it could ingrain some bad habits.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hilmar2k    7
I've had an R1 for a year now. I've only adjusted the loft between 9.5 and 10.5 a couple of times. Sometimes when I struggle with wildness with the driver for a while, I'll bump it up to 10.5, which seems to help for some reason. But, I don't move the face angle around from neutral. And I don't know that I'd recommend screwing with the face angle, because I feel like it could ingrain some bad habits.

Well, if you change loft, you need to adjust face angle too, since it's affected by loft.

DeadMan    223

Well, if you change loft, you need to adjust face angle too, since it's affected by loft.

Yeah, I know. I was having trouble describing what I meant. I change the face angle such that it is neutral with respect to that loft setting.

dbrock504    3

I have an old non-adjustable driver I still like, but can't help wondering about the fancy new adjustable stuff on the market today.  It seems like it could help if you know what you're doing, but could be a curse if you're constantly adjusting it after every bad shot.

I think you're getting your answer from the comments above. People set it to whatever they find fitting and don't touch it. You could do the same with a non-adjustable driver if you just go get fit. I have never owned a fully adjustable driver because I don't like the added weight of the head. I just get fit and make it work! (Plus, they're cheaper)

cm70056    0

I played with my settings almost every time I went to the course for the first month I had the driver. After that, I found that I had the best average results at 10.5 degrees and I haven't changed the loft in over a year.

I loved the idea at first, being able to dial in the loft to match every hole distance, but for the average handicap player who is already hitting inconstant distances, it basically negates the purpose of the adjustable loft. From my testing, I just didn't see much difference from 11-2.5 degrees of adjustments when I am getting a difference of +/- 20-25 yards on a non-changing loft setting.

When I am through with this driver, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to a non-adjustable driver (that is, if any of the OEMs are still making any non-adjustables!)

Dave2512    275

I have a few adjustable woods and all are set to whatever square/neutral is. When I fought a little slice I tried draw settings but after a lesson or two I was hooking like mad. Recently went back to a non-adjustable driver and 3w and like the way both set up much better. I'm sure it helps some but I didn't need it. The right shaft made more of a difference.

Hammer 4    51

Both my drive and 3 wood are adjustable. Driver is in a neutral position 9.5, I have it adjusted to 11.0 3 wood is a 15, adjusted to 16.5.

RayG    70
I loved the idea at first, being able to dial in the loft to match every hole distance....

Huh? you were changing it for each hole depending on distance? That would have been so illegal, even I , who could care less how you play, would have called you on it.

Gary L    4

Huh? you were changing it for each hole depending on distance? That would have been so illegal, even I, who could care less how you play, would have called you on it.

Since I don't have an adjustable driver, I never even thought about the legality of adjusting it during a round.  Interesting.  What rule covers this?

Golfingdad    1,850
I think you're getting your answer from the comments above. People set it to whatever they find fitting and don't touch it.

Yeah ... I got professionally fitted for my previous RazrFit and my current Xhot, and I honestly could not tell you what either of them are set at. I've never touched the settings on either of them.

mvmac    1,759

I have a G25, it's set to neutral and I've never changed it. I experimented with the different settings at first but there really isn't a need to change it once you know what setting works for you.

David in FL    1,520

Since I don't have an adjustable driver, I never even thought about the legality of adjusting it during a round.  Interesting.  What rule covers this?

4-2a pertains.

4-2 . Playing Characteristics Changed and Foreign Material

a . Playing Characteristics Changed

During a stipulated round , the playing characteristics of a club must not be purposely changed by adjustment or by any other means.