IGNORED

Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?

ScratchInAYear
Note: This thread is 948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went from a 20 to a 5 in one summer. I played one summer to start (worked on a course). Dropped my handicap to about 15. The next summer, I started again. I didn't play at all from Late August to Late May. Then first few rounds shot in the 90s. By the end of the summer, I had shot a 74 on 18. I also hand a low 9 hole round of -2 (34). I was pissed that I could make the turn on that round. I say screw the nay sayers, if anyone reads this later. 4 years after that last drop in handicap, I realized, I have never gone back to golf. In the last two weeks, I've got an unlimited range pass, a golf simulator, and an indoor chipping and putting green area because I'm going to beat all of you who say I can't. 

I asked My old golf coach one time, "Am I stupid to think I could play on tour someday?"

"With that swing, you can do whatever you want. The world is your oyster."

1 hour ago, wickwickity said:

I went from a 20 to a 5 in one summer. I played one summer to start (worked on a course). Dropped my handicap to about 15. The next summer, I started again. I didn't play at all from Late August to Late May. Then first few rounds shot in the 90s. By the end of the summer, I had shot a 74 on 18. I also hand a low 9 hole round of -2 (34). I was pissed that I could make the turn on that round. I say screw the nay sayers, if anyone reads this later. 4 years after that last drop in handicap, I realized, I have never gone back to golf. In the last two weeks, I've got an unlimited range pass, a golf simulator, and an indoor chipping and putting green area because I'm going to beat all of you who say I can't. 

I asked My old golf coach one time, "Am I stupid to think I could play on tour someday?"

"With that swing, you can do whatever you want. The world is your oyster."

You realize that this thread was from 3 years ago.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I occasionally run across a poster like this, I wonder what happened.  He signed up, selected an avatar, etc...made his first post and then disappeared.

We can be virtually certain that he lost the wager, assuming one was actually made.  Still, it would be interesting to know what he did and how long he worked on his game before he realized it was not going to happen in a year.  Is he even playing golf anymore?

Just another "Dan Plan" running off the rails and disappearing into an internet black hole.

Brian Kuehn

21 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

When I occasionally run across a poster like this, I wonder what happened.  He signed up, selected an avatar, etc...made his first post and then disappeared.

We can be virtually certain that he lost the wager, assuming one was actually made.  Still, it would be interesting to know what he did and how long he worked on his game before he realized it was not going to happen in a year.  Is he even playing golf anymore?

Just another "Dan Plan" running off the rails and disappearing into an internet black hole.

I think it was this guy:

I'm guessing he folded too. Probably posted here to quietly get channel visitors.

There was a "Dan Plan 2.0" guy who posted for a while who had his own blog. Haven't seen that thread move in a while. Thread titled "30yo.." or something, started by @nevets88, I think. 

I'm also intrigued by the guys who just post a great welcome post, sincerely saying they're glad to be here, just learning golf or whatever. Then nothing ever again, after we say our pleasantries and give pointers how to join in. Poof, gone. We hardly knew ye

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2017 at 3:40 AM, jsgolfer said:

Yes. But... I stumbled across this page trying to look into golf game improvement for myself. I figured, maybe my experience could help another build confidence to improve. It's the internet. The information never dies.

On 7/7/2017 at 3:40 AM, jsgolfer said:

3 years ago, or current. It's golf. Anything is possible. I saw a guy get a hole in one, the very first time he tee'd off. If that can happen..........:-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

13 hours ago, Patch said:

3 years ago, or current. It's golf. Anything is possible. I saw a guy get a hole in one, the very first time he tee'd off. If that can happen..........:-P

My boss is married to a guy who played D1 college golf somewhere in the states. Blew his hips out (familial issue) who was telling me a story last week. One of his non golf buddies phoned him. The buddy had shot a hole in one. The guy asked him what he shot both before and after the hole in one: snowman, snowman.

It's a bitch of a game. If you can't hit the ball, even a straight 50 yards, every course your on thells you, you are to slow.  How do you improve without playing on a course : you have to go to the range, take lessons etc.

You can play pick up baseball with your friends, on almost any field, be as shitty as you want, and still have fun.

No wonder so many people start this game and then quit. 

You have to be: really thick skinned, or have a little bit of skill for it and a lot of patience

13 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

There are many types of average golfers. 

But there's nothing average about one who can get to scratch within a year.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

I'm far from an expert...heck I'm a Michigan fan.....I could see a player shooting par occasionally but not become a scratch golfer within a year

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

7 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

But there's nothing average about one who can get to scratch within a year.

Yup!

39 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I'm far from an expert...heck I'm a Michigan fan.....I could see a player shooting par occasionally but not become a scratch golfer within a year

And yup, again! TOSU fan here. In my late teens, early 20's, I got to a place where I could call myself a scratch golfer. Shot around par, and under par, from the tips all the time. I was in a situation then where I could hit the range 6 days a week! And it took me longer than a year.

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

I have recently undertaken a similar challenge - starting from a 22-handicap towards the end of July, with a goal of getting to scratch by the end of next year. I am well aware that it is 99% likely to be unattainable - but that's the goal I've chosen to work towards. Have also decided to document things through YouTube -

Am just wondering if anyone knows of or can guide me towards other forum content which provides some indication of focuses for different golfers at different HCP levels, and the different approaches one might take to this challenge?

Thanks very much in advance!
Sage

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

@thegolfhackr My opinion/thoughts are that if you have any chance of reaching scratch from a 22 index in such a short time you'd better be a superb athlete with great hand-eye coordination.  Playing baseball and basketball win out over soccer.  

I'm not sure I'd label myself a superb athlete, but I have played rugby to a reasonably competitive level for many years (actually started playing more golf when that came off the table due to Covid). Have also played a lot of cricket, badminton and tennis etc. growing up so I'd say my hand-eye coordination is definitely reasonable - but I think this could actually be a problem. Playing socially for years I've relied on this as opposed to proper swing mechanics, so might require some fixing

Note: This thread is 948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!