IGNORED

Walkers: Do you carry your bag or do you use a push cart?

ajst22
Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Walkers: Do you carry your bag or do you use a push cart?

• Carry my bag
    • Use a push cart

I frequently like to walk when I golf, and I have been carrying my bag a long time.  It's a five-pound bag, it doesn't seem particularly heavy when it's loaded, but I must confess this 61-yo can be pretty tired by the last few holes.  I also have some arthritis in my hip and I can pay a price afterwards.  For people with carts, do you notice a lot of difference from carrying the bag?

Pushy:

It's nice to reply to another sexagenarian. I'm 64-yo, been golfing 50+ years and always try to walk. In 2014 I've played 50 times:  used a push-cart 41 times, rode 7  times carried my bag twice. Even the nine times I rode a cart, I always was on the passenger side so that I could walk whenever possible. Now, when I was 60 (or younger), my best estimate is that I would carry my bag at least 60% of the time. But, like you, once I hit 60, it was a whole new ballgame.

To answer your question, there is a big difference between using a push-cart and carrying a bag.  Here are some points why I now use a cart:

1. You can load you bag with gear for inclement weather. When I would carry, I really didn't want to put a rain coat, umbrella, etc into the bag. With a cart the extra things you need for inclement weather can easily be shoved into your golf bag without much notable difference.

2. The effort you expel pushing a cart is perhaps half as much as carrying a bag. I don't know about you, but at 64 my joints will periodically ache a lot more than my younger days, and using a push-cart allows me to be fresher at the end of a round.

3. I can imagine that I have a caddie when I have a push-cart, and believe me, that is the best way to play golf.

The next question is do you want to have a 2 or 3 wheeled cart? The two wheeled carts are far less expensive, so if that is your criteria, that would be the way to go. But I have used both and definitely feel that the 3 wheeled cart is more stable and easier to push. About 10 years ago I got myself and my wife 3 wheeled carts and never have regretted it. Also, two wheeled carts do not need a brake, but if you play a hilly course and are using a 3 wheeled cart,  you might want to make sure you have that feature.

Is there a difference between the 3 and 4 wheeled carts? I've never used a 4 wheeled push-cart, (or have seen many on the course), but I don't think there are many differences between the two.

Continued good health and best wishes in 2015. (I love this game!)

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Clicgear for the win. Lightweight. Folds up. Goes in the trunk of my Mazda.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Besides the obvious stuff a round of golf is simply more enjoyable with a push cart, it feels like you have a caddy in a way.

I agree. I feel the best way to go is by golfing with a caddie. I don't have the monetary resources to do that, but I have a 77-yo friend who belongs to a local club that has caddies. At the club he takes a caddie about 50 times a year. In the early spring or late fall he will play 9 holes and carry a bag with 5 or 6 clubs. He also plays another 10-20 times outside his club, usually riding a cart, but when we play my course, I will let him use my wife's push-cart. Many time we've talked about taking a caddie and he insists that having a caddie allows you to 1) have someone who does the grunt work of carrying the bag or raking traps; 2) know accurate yardages without looking for sprinkler heads; 3) have someone who can help you find your wayward shots; 4) have a consultant when executing different shots; and, perhaps most importantly, 5) interact with another person who (usually) has a passion for golf.

Now a cart can't really get yardages, help you find a ball or interact, but it sure does a lot of the grunt work. And, like you, I feel golf is more enjoyable with a push-cart, and is your own personal caddie in many ways.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Mostly everyone at my club uses a push or pull cart and a high percentage have the battery types....I use the electric type and it sure does help one stay fresh even going up very steep fairways.

Mostly everyone at my club uses a push or pull cart and a high percentage have the battery types....I use the electric type and it sure does help one stay fresh even going up very steep fairways.

It seems the battery powered push carts are really popular in the UK and Europe but haven't gained any traction (pun intended) here in the US.  I subscribe to some of the UK golf magazines and they have tons of ads for motorized push carts but I have yet to see one in the US.  Wonder why.

Joe Paradiso

It seems the battery powered push carts are really popular in the UK and Europe but haven't gained any traction (pun intended) here in the US.  I subscribe to some of the UK golf magazines and they have tons of ads for motorized push carts but I have yet to see one in the US.  Wonder why.

I've seen plenty in Dallas. They look awesome! Pretty pricey though.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'm young (late 20s), and I use a push cart whenver I walk 18. I prefer to walk whenever it's possible - I can take in the outdoors better, also helps me clear my mind a little better between shots I think. It's also at least $15 cheaper.

While I can carry my bag for 18 and play, I much rather walk. I will be sore and tired after walking 18 carrying - I'm never sore after walking 18 with a push cart. Plus, I think carrying is not very good on your back. I feel like carrying would affect my golf swing negatively. Tired body = tired swing. Push carts all the way.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Another good tip when walking and carrying - switch to lightweight graphite-shafted clubs. You will notice a big difference vs steel. I use both graphite and steel, and when I walk and carry, the graphite shafts make a noticeable difference in weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I've seen plenty in Dallas. They look awesome! Pretty pricey though.

I am going to treat myself to one these motorized carts in the near future. The only draw back I think might be weight when taking them out , or putting them in the vehicle. Then again, some have easy battery removal, and/or a smaller battery so that might make that moot point. I have not got that far with my perusal as yet.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

This is my clicgear 3.0 that I bought last year and it has paid for itself already.  I am 65 years old and walk nine holes three days a week.  I have carried but this is so much easier on my body.  I have added a clicgear umbrella and I bought one of those plastic seats from Golfsmith I use when I have to wait or just want to take a break.  I would walk eighteen holes but my left knee swells up and nine is comfortable for me  When I have friends that want to do eighteen I ride the cart   This course is hilly but it is no trouble pushing this up hill if anything it is more trouble going down hill which I just apply the hand break to slow it down or just let it go if there is no water ahead.  I would emphasize do not buy the cheaper push carts they just dont hold up like this one or Sun Mountain.  I prefer three wheels over four and did alot of research on these before I spent my money on one.  I enjoy pushing this more than riding or carrying a bag...

I frequently like to walk when I golf, and I have been carrying my bag a long time.  It's a five-pound bag, it doesn't seem particularly heavy when it's loaded, but I must confess this 61-yo can be pretty tired by the last few holes.  I also have some arthritis in my hip and I can pay a price afterwards.  For people with carts, do you notice a lot of difference from carrying the bag?

Yup, pushing cart is much easier than carrying bag.  Besides, we (old and getting older) need to worry about our back.  Putting weight on our back for 3 - 5 hours at a time will speed up the eventual back issues most of us will have as we age.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My home course doesn't allow pushcarts but when I play other courses and walk I prefer pushcarts.   Just easier to push, leaves one hand free to hold a bottle of water or cell phone.  I also don't like stand bags so I prefer the push carts so my bag doesn't get wet from the ground.

WTF why on earth not??

Colin P.

WTF why on earth not??

I don't know, the rules are you either rent a cart, take a caddie or carry the bag yourself.  I guess it's either the loss of revenue or some bias against push carts.

Joe Paradiso

I don't know, the rules are you either rent a cart, take a caddie or carry the bag yourself.  I guess it's either the loss of revenue or some bias against push carts.

That makes no sense whatsoever. If that was my home course (and it never would be with that policy) I would be telling them left and right that they're losing business based on that asshat policy.

Colin P.

That makes no sense whatsoever. If that was my home course (and it never would be with that policy) I would be telling them left and right that they're losing business based on that asshat policy.

[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/75326/walkers-do-you-carry-your-bag-or-do-you-use-a-push-cart/60#post_1077799"]I don't know, the rules are you either rent a cart, take a caddie or carry the bag yourself.  I guess it's either the loss of revenue or some bias against push carts. [/quote]I agree it's lame, but if he's right about it being about revenue, then it does make sense. It's shitty, but I would bet that when not allowed push, more would choose a cart than would choose to carry.

The only place I've ever seen that was The Old Course at St Andrews where you were not allowed to use a push/pull cart until the afternoon.  You also were not allowed to ride in a cart unless you had a medical condition requiring its use.  Those rules are in place to encourage caddie use/create revenue.  I wasn't prepared for that (no push cart) and my unfortunate caddie took a physical beating carrying my obese bag around.  He was a pretty good sport about it  until after about 15 holes, when he admitted it was the hardest carry he'd ever done, I felt pretty awful.

Randal

I think the electric push cart (Trolley in UK) would be great for the USA.....easy to use....easy to get into the car ( folds up very small) and takes the strain out of pushing...I wonder why you have not got these over there...perhaps it's so the courses can charge you for the golf cart!....well here is an opportunity for someone to start selling them.....you could earn a fortune!

Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!