IGNORED

Dustin Johnson taking a leave of absence from tour, Suspended for cocaine use

BENtSwing
Note: This thread is 3391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

DJ must be giving interviews now, because ESPN has one up as well

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/12198973/dustin-johnson-says-cocaine-problem

It's the same interview.

My take on that article is that he says his issue wasn't one related to cocaine use.

Hmm...

He's saying his problem wasn't cocaine, not that his problem wasn't related to using cocaine.  He might have just meant that his issue is bigger and includes all kinds of drugs (he mentioned alcohol and "partying" as well)

Regardless, he seems to have himself straightened out, and I hope thats true.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He's saying his problem wasn't cocaine, not that his problem wasn't related to using cocaine.  He might have just meant that his issue is bigger and includes all kinds of drugs (he mentioned alcohol and "partying" as well)

I'll amend my statement to say he's specifically saying cocaine use was not the problem he had.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'll amend my statement to say he's specifically saying cocaine use was not the problem he had.

Right.  That's what I thought you said. ;)  I'm just saying that he's not saying he never used cocaine, he's just saying that he believes his "problem" is something more or something different.  Taken on its face, that is certainly plausible.  Not everybody who drinks is an alcoholic and not everybody who uses recreational drugs is an addict.  He might just be saying that cocaine was nothing - alcohol (or heroin, or meth, for all we know) was his real "issue."

Regardless of whether or not you think he's telling the truth, the point of the story is that he says he's put this all behind him.  And hopefully now he can get back to kicking some golfing butt.

I would like to see a Masters final four of Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth and Patrick Reed.  Who's with me?!?!?!?! :-P

Right.  That's what I thought you said. ;)  I'm just saying that he's not saying he never used cocaine, he's just saying that he believes his "problem" is something more or something different.  Taken on its face, that is certainly plausible.  Not everybody who drinks is an alcoholic and not everybody who uses recreational drugs is an addict.  He might just be saying that cocaine was nothing - alcohol (or heroin, or meth, for all we know) was his real "issue."

Regardless of whether or not you think he's telling the truth, the point of the story is that he says he's put this all behind him.  And hopefully now he can get back to kicking some golfing butt.

I would like to see a Masters final four of Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth and Patrick Reed.  Who's with me?!?!?!?!

My take from it is that he's pretty much refuting the reports that the PGA suspended him last year because of cocaine use.

I feel by saying he doesn't have a cocaine problem he's pretty much saying he doesn't use cocaine.  I know that's my inference and I'd be curious to see how many other people who come to that same conclusion.

As far as the point of the story being that he says he's put this all behind him, he can say a lot of things, it doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Christian

Nothing new here.

Are you mocking your own post? Lol. I admire your consistency.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

My take from it is that he's pretty much refuting the reports that the PGA suspended him last year because of cocaine use.

The tour has already confirmed that as well back when he left, did they not?

I feel by saying he doesn't have a cocaine problem he's pretty much saying he doesn't use cocaine.

OK.  I disagree though, because I think if he was saying he didn't use cocaine, he'd say "I didn't use cocaine."

As far as the point of the story being that he says he's put this all behind him, he can say a lot of things, it doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Oh, absolutely.  I'm just saying that I really hope its true and I'm really rooting for him.

I'd also add that he's been taking care of himself for 5 months now.  I'd be more skeptical of a person who went to rehab and then showed back up on the scene 3 weeks later "cured."  5 months is a long time, so I'm optimistic that he's got his head right now.  The article sure makes it seem like he's in pretty good shape all around.

The tour has already confirmed that as well back when he left, did they not?

I don't remember if they did or not but I thought they didn't comment one way or the other.

OK.  I disagree though, because I think if he was saying he didn't use cocaine, he'd say "I didn't use cocaine."

Lots of people say things that are technically true but imply something else.  I've found this is especially true with public people.  If he was using cocaine when he went on leave, he could view it as something that wasn't a problem he had (and that he went on leave for other reasons whether it be for life issues or as some deal he'd cut with the PGA Tour) but that doesn't equate that he didn't use cocaine.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is his first public comments on the issue and I feel public people usually default to denying things so as to try and limit the damage it might have on their careers.  A lot of the time, rightly or wrongly, I take what they say with a grain of salt.

Oh, absolutely.  I'm just saying that I really hope its true and I'm really rooting for him.

I'd also add that he's been taking care of himself for 5 months now.  I'd be more skeptical of a person who went to rehab and then showed back up on the scene 3 weeks later "cured."  5 months is a long time, so I'm optimistic that he's got his head right now.  The article sure makes it seem like he's in pretty good shape all around.

True, 5 months is a longer than 3 weeks.  Hopefully he has resolved the issues he had but if it was for cocaine, I hope he realizes it'll likely be a daily struggle that will last a lifetime.

Christian

I'm inclined to agree with your position. DJ had some skeletons for sure, but he's saying that cocaine isn't one of them. He most definitely didn't say he didn't do cocaine. Not everyone who uses drugs becomes an addict.

There's a whole lot of reading between the lines going on throughout this whole process. My take is that he did test positive for cocaine and the PGA let him take the high road with his "leave of absence." It's kind of like letting someone resign instead of firing them. DJ is one of their biggest stars, so I can see why they would want to take a diplomatic approach with the situation.

And he didn't go to rehab, but he brought a team of experts in? Rehab went to him. So he technically didn't check into a clinic, but he definitely got some kind of therapy and education. He's cut out people from his inner circle? That's textbook substance abuse therapy right there.

Anyway, I hope the best for him; he's one of my favorite golfers. He's clearly trying to rebuild his reputation. If he can turn this around and win a major or two, people aren't going to care much about this episode. Otherwise, it will haunt him forever.

I don't remember if they did or not but I thought they didn't comment one way or the other.

They denied it: http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/08/pga-tour-players-express-conce.html

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

but if it was for cocaine, I hope he realizes it'll likely be a daily struggle that will last a lifetime.

This would be equally true if it were alcohol, and that is something he readily admits was a problem.

I'm inclined to agree with your position. DJ had some skeletons for sure, but he's saying that cocaine isn't one of them. He most definitely didn't say he didn't do cocaine. Not everyone who uses drugs becomes an addict.

There's a whole lot of reading between the lines going on throughout this whole process. My take is that he did test positive for cocaine and the PGA let him take the high road with his "leave of absence." It's kind of like letting someone resign instead of firing them. DJ is one of their biggest stars, so I can see why they would want to take a diplomatic approach with the situation.

And he didn't go to rehab, but he brought a team of experts in? Rehab went to him. So he technically didn't check into a clinic, but he definitely got some kind of therapy and education. He's cut out people from his inner circle? That's textbook substance abuse therapy right there.

Anyway, I hope the best for him; he's one of my favorite golfers. He's clearly trying to rebuild his reputation. If he can turn this around and win a major or two, people aren't going to care much about this episode. Otherwise, it will haunt him forever.

You summed it up perfectly. :beer:

This would be equally true if it were alcohol, and that is something he readily admits was a problem.

It's equally true with many addiction someone tries to get a handle of whether it's drugs, alcohol, perception medication abuse, etc.

Christian

Right.  That's what I thought you said. ;)  I'm just saying that he's not saying he never used cocaine, he's just saying that he believes his "problem" is something more or something different.  Taken on its face, that is certainly plausible.  Not everybody who drinks is an alcoholic and not everybody who uses recreational drugs is an addict.  He might just be saying that cocaine was nothing - alcohol (or heroin, or meth, for all we know) was his real "issue." Regardless of whether or not you think he's telling the truth, the point of the story is that he says he's put this all behind him.  And hopefully now he can get back to kicking some golfing butt. I would like to see a Masters final four of Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth and Patrick Reed.  Who's with me?!?!?!?! :-P

Plug Mickelson in Tiger's spot and I'm in.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

So when is he coming back?

The article says he plans to return either at Torrey Pines or Pebble Beach, depending on the birth of the baby.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The article says he plans to return either at Torrey Pines or Pebble Beach, depending on the birth of the baby.

It's a boy

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/dj-gretzky-welcome-first-child/

Players play, tough players win!

From his interview last night Apparently he has never failed a drug test and cocain is not something he has ever touched.. Sorry I don't have the link from ESPN I read it on the pga app

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

From his interview last night

Apparently he has never failed a drug test and cocain is not something he has ever touched..

Sorry I don't have the link from ESPN I read it on the pga app

He's walking a very thin line of truth, The PGA Tour is not permitted to release details on failed drug tests.  He took a leave of absence to avoid suspension and his leave of absence was likely the same time or longer than the potential suspension to appease the PGA Tour.

I wish Dustin the best, but I'd prefer he not comment rather than take this position.  He's playing in shark infested media waters with this approach, TMZ will turn over every rock to refute his statements.

Joe Paradiso

From his interview last night

Apparently he has never failed a drug test and cocain is not something he has ever touched..

Sorry I don't have the link from ESPN I read it on the pga app

Well, @Golfingdad , I guess you could technically say that he most definitely didn't say he didn't do cocaine.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!